Join for free
Page 3 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >
Muddy
Chatterbox
UK
Muddy is female  Muddy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

02-07-2021, 10:38 AM

Re: Sciatica

Originally Posted by Bratti ->
I’m so sorry you have to deal with this Muddy. Back issues can be brutal !
Wishing you all the best.
I’d go with the acupuncture myself.
Thanks Bratti
My late husband used to go to acupuncture for his back and found it very effective but I am a needle phobic so I will pass on that one.
Muddy
Chatterbox
UK
Muddy is female  Muddy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

02-07-2021, 10:50 AM

Originally Posted by OldGreyFox ->
Sorry to hear about your pain Muddy....
I'm not a doctor but have done lots of research into Sciatica because I've been struck down with it a few times.
As Longdriver has explained it's mainly associated to bending, stooping and kneeling for long periods, the lower back muscles knot up and interfere with the sciatic nerve. They only have to knot up in the vicinity of the nerve to cause pain, and because the muscles are involuntary it's very hard to relax them.

Have you tried Ibuprofen Muddy? As an anti-inflammatory it may help the muscles to relax. I go and see a physio, but his job is to remove the knots in the muscle after it has stopped being inflamed, it will not help while the muscle is inflamed and cramped. I've tried acupuncture and ultrasound in the past and both of these helped but I think it was on the way out anyway. Try the Ibuprofen to ease the immediate pain Muddy and I hope you will be soon on the mend.... I'll try not to hug you too tightly...

The Dr is going to give me some prescription strength stuff and muscle relaxants ( you are right my lower back is totally seized up ) it’s due to that blooming gardening -so hopefully that will do the trick . ( otherwise he said cheerfully you can tough it out ) no way Jose I will hot foot it ( or rather stagger ) to the pharmacy as soon as it’s ready .
Bruce
Chatterbox
Wollongong, Australia
Bruce is male  Bruce has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

02-07-2021, 11:59 AM

I have OxyNorm 20mg for back pain it is very good, as OGF mentioned my previous doctor was very keen on Brufen which is just a stronger dose of Ibuprofen taken as an anti inflammatory.

I was a bit disturbed to read the NHS reference for a discectomy that someone put up as it was so old fashioned even 20 years ago. I have had three micro endoscopic discectomies performed on different discs the most recent was about 15 years ago. I was up and about in a couple of days and the holes required one staple.

The surgeon at the time said they would last at least 10 years but one is over 20 years old. I still get some back pain but no sciatica.

I do have bad days with my back now but nothing like the pain that led to my first op nearly 25 years ago. Strong pain killers are the key.
LongDriver
West Sussex (coastal)
LongDriver is male  LongDriver has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

02-07-2021, 12:14 PM

Originally Posted by Bratti ->
Eating anti inflammatories foods should help as well as anti inflammatory pills ( very hard on the stomach lining ) and muscle relaxers. ( muscle relaxers make you incredibly sleepy though )
Oh yes, please do be very careful with NASID's and alike as they can be very aggressive to the digestive tract.
I was prescribed Vioxx a COX-2 inhibitor and suffered deeply before it was withdrawn both here and in USA. My wife was prescribed ibuprofen before diclofenac while they decided to replace her knees or not. She also suffered with severe gastric side effects and she is now on lansoprazole for life as am I.
I believe OTC NASID meds such as ibuprofen should only be sold with a red health warning.
Muddy
Chatterbox
UK

02-07-2021, 03:32 PM

Ok have got the stuff from the pharmacy

Naproxen which is a Nasid and Zapain
Plus a muscle relaxer

So it doesn’t say if I have to take it all at the same time or what none of it is very gastro friendly .

Oh well will see how it goes .
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

02-07-2021, 09:19 PM

Originally Posted by Muddy ->
Ok have got the stuff from the pharmacy

Naproxen which is a Nasid and Zapain
Plus a muscle relaxer

So it doesn’t say if I have to take it all at the same time or what none of it is very gastro friendly .

Oh well will see how it goes .

Hope you feelmore comfortable soon, Muddy, but watch your tummy if you take those tablets for long.

I think I would do what has already been suggested and try either Acupuncture or a good Physio.
Muddy
Chatterbox
UK

02-07-2021, 09:28 PM

Last time I had it I was referred to a physio but the exercises aggravated it to such an extent they told me to stop .
Yes I can see I will have to be very careful with these meds and they say in only take when absolutely necessary . So I took two at about 1.30 and they did ease the pain a bit bit now it’s coming back so I shall hang on until I go to bed and fingers crossed they see me through the night
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

02-07-2021, 09:31 PM

Have you tried heat, Muddy?

A perhaps a hot water battle against your buttocks/ lower back when you are sitting in your chair?
Muddy
Chatterbox
UK

02-07-2021, 09:37 PM

Mups last night went to bed with the hottie bottle and it did help didn’t think of having it in the day duh…I will go and fill it up right now .
Muddy
Chatterbox
UK

02-07-2021, 10:11 PM

Originally Posted by LongDriver ->
Oh yes, please do be very careful with NASID's and alike as they can be very aggressive to the digestive tract.
I was prescribed Vioxx a COX-2 inhibitor and suffered deeply before it was withdrawn both here and in USA. My wife was prescribed ibuprofen before diclofenac while they decided to replace her knees or not. She also suffered with severe gastric side effects and she is now on lansoprazole for life as am I.
I believe OTC NASID meds such as ibuprofen should only be sold with a red health warning.
It’s funny but one comes with strict warnings only use two a day for three days So they have given me a pack of 100 ! I don’t get on with ibuprofen for the same reasons as yourselves so I take care to always take these things with food.

Page 3 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top