Join for free
Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-07-2021, 03:09 PM

Re: Runner Beans

Originally Posted by Percy Vere ->
Yes. When I had an allotment back in the 70s, one of the older gardeners told me to use used washing up water with a couple of teaspoons of vinegar mixed in. I still use that mix for greenfly on roses

Aha. That's interesting. Thank you Percy.
DianneWoollie
Deux Sevres. S W France
DianneWoollie is female  DianneWoollie has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

11-07-2021, 08:23 AM

My Lupins attracted the black and green flies and have noticed here in France that most veggies beds have at least marigolds and other flowers cant name them as yet.. sure they are used to decoy the little beasts away from the veggies...

I have always used a few drops of washing up liquid with water and spray them like most peoples answers before me...

We cannot grow Runner Beans at all here..
realspeed
Chatterbox
South coast
realspeed is male  realspeed has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

11-07-2021, 08:38 AM

may get a few this year

Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

11-07-2021, 12:37 PM

They look healthy Realspeed, but I asked how people keep the Blackfly away? Do you get that problem with yours?
AnnieS
Chatterbox
United Kingdom
AnnieS is female  AnnieS has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

13-07-2021, 04:44 PM

I spritzed them away with a hose. Although I found that it was all to do with position. Avoid growing them near trees or other shrubs.

Having grown them a few times I've now realised nobody likes runner beans. Nobody wanted to eat them. I made a stew which included just the beans themselves last Summer. It was the neediest dish. You have to harvest so many beans just to get a bowlful.

So this year it's tomatoes, potatoes, parsley, fennel, dill, mint and chard. There is also a large cucumber plant in a pot in the house with teeny tiny cucumbers starting to form. Not sure whether that will be a success yet.

Blackfly don't seem to like tomatoes or geraniums. I wonder whether it's worth planting runner beans surrounded by tomato plants to avoid some pests like blackfly.
swimfeeders
Chatterbox
Shropshire
swimfeeders is male  swimfeeders has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

13-07-2021, 06:46 PM

Hi

Mine are a disaster this year, I am on my third planting.

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top