Join for free
Page 6 of 7 « First < 4 5 6 7 >
JBR
Chatterbox
Cheshire, UK
JBR is male  JBR has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

30-12-2019, 12:17 AM

Re: De-criminalisation of non-payment of TV Tax?

Originally Posted by bakerman ->
Being an American, I am quite confused about what a tv license is ? If you have a tv then you must pay a fee ? If so, how much does it cost/month. Do I understand that there are tv detection vans roaming the streets ?

In the U.S. there is no such thing as a tv license. There are 5 main free broadcasting stations: ABC, NBC, CBS, FOX, and PBS. EACH national broadcaster has several channels which means that you can watch 2 or 3 different programs at any specific time. Thus, there may be aprox up to 15 tv stations playing free programing.

Of course, there are several other ways of watching tv: having a satellite dish and/or cable tv. Both of which have a monthly charge. Additionally, both ways will offer internet services so you can use your laptop/PC.
I have to say I envy you!

I'm not really sure how good the TV programmes are. Most American programmes we see over here, I have to say in all honesty, are every so slightly crap!

Having said that, our own TV programmes these days are ever so slightly crap too!

I assume that ALL of your TV channels contain advertisements, which I suspect is why you don't have to pay a licence fee like we do. Presumably, the adverts pay for all your TV programmes AND the transmission network.

I do believe that we should have the same here: free television, just as you have.

Another question if I may, and I'm sure most people here know why I'm asking it, is do any of your TV companies have a perceptible political bias?
bakerman
Mexico
bakerman is male  bakerman has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

30-12-2019, 01:46 AM

Originally Posted by JBR ->
I have to say I envy you!
Another question if I may, and I'm sure most people here know why I'm asking it, is do any of your TV companies have a perceptible political bias?
Oh, my, yes ! The political bias on free broadcast tv, is quite pronounced. The leftists are in almost total control of the national networks. The sole exception is FOX tv which is slightly to the right of middle of the road.

I also agree with you that too much of the programing is crap, and is directed toward a low I.Q. audience. There are, however, some fine programs.
spitfire
Chatterbox
Warwickshire
spitfire is male  spitfire has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

30-12-2019, 07:51 AM

Bakerman, it must be so confusing over there, all those independent broadcasters, do they ever "send out the wrong Signals"?
bakerman
Mexico
bakerman is male  bakerman has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

30-12-2019, 08:52 AM

Originally Posted by spitfire ->
Bakerman, it must be so confusing over there, all those independent broadcasters, do they ever "send out the wrong Signals"?
No ! The signals are never "sent out wrong". Where-ever one lives, he/she knows that channel "X" is CBS, and so it is with all broadcasters stations. Hence, no confusion.

For example, locally, I know that ABC (channel 8 ) broadcasts NFL American football every Sunday. Fox (channel 62 ) broadcasts more football but a completely different game. On Sunday night, NBC broadcasts yet another game. The final play-offs will begin this coming week-end., and I will get to see two (2) games on Saturday and two(2) more on Sunday. thus I will get to watch 4 games this week-end, all for free. And so it goes each week-end until the Super Bowl, the final game of the year.
Having said that it is important to note that I may not get to watch my favorite team EVERY Sunday because there are 16 games each Sunday and my favorite team may not be broadcast locally each week. There is a way around this but I would have to pay cable tv in order to watch every single game of my favorite team.
Muddy
Chatterbox
UK
Muddy is female  Muddy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

30-12-2019, 09:44 AM

American tv is dreadful .
JBR
Chatterbox
Cheshire, UK
JBR is male  JBR has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

30-12-2019, 11:06 AM

Oh, my, yes ! The political bias on free broadcast tv, is quite pronounced. The leftists are in almost total control of the national networks. The sole exception is FOX tv which is slightly to the right of middle of the road.

I also agree with you that too much of the programing is crap, and is directed toward a low I.Q. audience. There are, however, some fine programs.
Why is it that most media people seem to tend towards the left-wing, certainly most of our television companies?

The Simpsons is good, but I've seen them all now.
Woodsman59
Hayling Island
Woodsman59 is male  Woodsman59 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

30-12-2019, 11:08 AM

I remember how the BBC reported when asked not to , put our forces in danger during the Falklands conflict. They've had their day with the overpaid elite , well , I wish : )
Judd
Chatterbox
West Riding of Yorkshire
Judd is male  Judd has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

30-12-2019, 02:29 PM

Originally Posted by Muddy ->
American tv is dreadful .
Not all of it.

Try watching Law & Order, NCIS, CSI, - all excellent (IMO) dramas. Their comedy shows don't always strike home (too many differences between British and US humour), but some of their comedy dramas aren't too bad.
Solasch
Chatterbox
Netherlands
Solasch is male  Solasch has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

30-12-2019, 02:51 PM

Is that why many americans watch the news in european countries to get an unbiased take on what is happening in the usa?
The Artful Todger
Chatterbox
Suffolk UK
The Artful Todger is male  The Artful Todger has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

30-12-2019, 03:12 PM

Originally Posted by Solasch ->
Is that why many americans watch the news in european countries to get an unbiased take on what is happening in the usa?
Probably one of the worst sources of unbiased news is Europe, at least most EU states because of the "support" given by the European Commission.

The BBC has been appalling for years but let's face it, there can be no single even relatively unbiased news source.

Page 6 of 7 « First < 4 5 6 7 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top