Join for free
Page 3 of 7 < 1 2 3 4 5 > Last »
The Dog Lover
Watford
The Dog Lover is female  The Dog Lover has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

22-11-2012, 03:51 PM

Re: Sciatica

Originally Posted by mesco m ->
I wonder has he a vitamin that will stop painful lectures.
lol we can always hope
Mags
Supervisor
South West UK
Mags is female  Mags has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

22-11-2012, 04:45 PM

Looking at things from another angle, I'll be interested in the reply to this link......

http://www.livestrong.com/article/30...ch-vitamin-d3/

Quote:
Kidney Stones

Excessive vitamin D3 in postmenopausal women may increase the risk of kidney stones. Research by Rebecca Jackson published in the "New England Journal of Medicine" in 2006 studied the effects of vitamin D3 supplementation and calcium on the risk of hip fractures in postmenopausal women over 7 years and found that supplementation of 400 IU of vitamin D3 and 1000 mg of calcium carbonate did not significantly reduce hip fractures, but did increase the risk of kidney stones by 17 percent.
Hmmm
The Dog Lover
Watford
The Dog Lover is female  The Dog Lover has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

22-11-2012, 04:53 PM

Well personally Mags I don't take any vitamins nor would I. I believe that if you have a healthy varied diet you don't need to take any supplements. I only take joint tablets to help my knee which is nothing to do with diet.
Mags
Supervisor
South West UK
Mags is female  Mags has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

22-11-2012, 09:39 PM

Originally Posted by The Dog Lover ->
Well personally Mags I don't take any vitamins nor would I. I believe that if you have a healthy varied diet you don't need to take any supplements. I only take joint tablets to help my knee which is nothing to do with diet.
Exactly my way of thinking, Val
TedHutchinson
Louth UK
TedHutchinson is male  TedHutchinson has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-11-2012, 12:38 AM

Originally Posted by Mags ->
Looking at things from another angle, I'll be interested in the reply to this link......

http://www.livestrong.com/article/30...ch-vitamin-d3/

Quote:

Hmmm
Kidney Stones NOT caused by vitamin D Comments on Kidney Stones & Vitamin D
Dr. Heaney's Comments:

Kidney stones are of many types and have many causes.
The most common types in the US are calcium oxalate stones.
The stone should be analyzed so as to determine the approach to treatment.
Whatever the stone type, stone formers have a defect in kidney production of a solution stabilizer, normally secreted into the urine. This keeps the commonly supersaturated urine from forming precipitates (which then aggregate into stones).
There are two basic approaches indicated in most cases.
One is to drink large amounts of water each day to keep the urine diluted
The second is to reduce the urine content of components that form precipitates. For example, if the stone is a urate stone, medicines will be prescribed that reduce the body's production of uric acid. Or if the stone is calcium oxalate, large quantities of calcium should be ingested to block absorption of oxalic acid from the intestinal contents, thereby reducing the amount of oxalate that will have to be excreted through the kidneys. While high calcium intake sounds counter-intuitive, there is a solid scientific base for the recommendation, and persuasive clinical trial data showing that it works. Placing patients on low calcium diets will actually double the risk of having a second stone.
There are several other approaches that might be taken, but the foregoing hit the main points. It's important to remember that the basic defect (absence of a solution stabilizer) persists, so whatever strategy works will have to become permanent.
Vitamin D, in doses producing desirable serum levels of 25(OH)D (40-60 ng/ml or 100-150 nmol/L), does not adversely affect any of the components of this system

It may be an idea to avoid RHUBARB
sarah kay
kent
sarah kay is female  sarah kay has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

24-11-2012, 11:19 PM

thanks everyone it looks as though I too must be "worn and torn" just had 2
osteo treatments and can honestly say I feel much worse!!

My cats getting old but seems fine, I guess its cos she walks on four legs,
thats the problem we walk on two too much weight on spine!!

Oh well, where do I go from here??????

sarah
Uncle Joe
Chatterbox
Brighton UK
Uncle Joe is male  Uncle Joe has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

25-11-2012, 01:18 PM

Sarah darlin' - you'll have to go the same route I did - have had both hips and both knees surgicaly replaced with titanium implants. I can even recommend a lovely Surgeon to do the job for you!!!
sarah kay
kent
sarah kay is female  sarah kay has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

28-11-2012, 03:09 AM

Well Joe dont fancy that much!!
Uncle Joe
Chatterbox
Brighton UK
Uncle Joe is male  Uncle Joe has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

28-11-2012, 09:08 AM

Originally Posted by sarah kay ->
Well Joe dont fancy that much!!
Sarah darlin' - I didn't have a lot of choice in the matter. It was either undergo the surgery and be uncomfortable for a few weeks or be in excruciating pain for the rest of my life and be permanently house-bound into the bargain. I can now get about (albeit with a walking stick) and whilst not totally without pain, it is controllable with some DF118 tablets from time to time.
sarah kay
kent

29-11-2012, 10:51 PM

Oh well, I am so pleased that you can now get around

Page 3 of 7 < 1 2 3 4 5 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top