Join for free
Page 2 of 7 < 1 2 3 4 > Last »
Bruce
Chatterbox
Wollongong, Australia
Bruce is male  Bruce has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

24-10-2012, 06:28 AM

Re: Sciatica

I had mild sciatica on and off for years until it suddenly became unbearable. I then had a micro endoscopic discectomy.

Basically they used key hole surgery and snipped away the bulging disc that is pressing on the spinal column. I have had a couple of operations since, one on another disc and one to clean up scar tissue.

I have been virtually pain free for over ten years but it is not a cure and eventually will need an op to fuse the spine but hopefully that has been delayed by decade(s)

If you want the details of my ops they are here

If you have to have something done because life is impossible otherwise then this is a good way to go.
sarah kay
kent
sarah kay is female  sarah kay has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

25-10-2012, 12:20 AM

Les have you tried a Tens machine from chemist. Some people
say acupuncture works but as yet, I havent tried it.

Ive tried lots of "remedies" but as you say sleeping is the
hardest. Good luck, if you get a cure let us all know.

Sarah
Besmart
New Member!
Australia
Besmart is male 

02-11-2012, 02:54 AM

Originally Posted by Les ->
Does anyone know of anything that works for them to relieve the pain?
Hi Les. After 9 mths of trying everything, in desperation I purchased Steve Lockharts self help program. It worked for me within days and I have been pain free for more than 12 months.Perhaps it was coincidence and maybe it may have righted itself with rest as I have been told and read can happen.
I wasnt prepared to wait and would go back on the program if the sciatica occurs again.
Marcus
pittsburgh,USA
Marcus is male  Marcus has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

20-11-2012, 08:28 AM

I have had osteo-arthritis for years and each year this degenerative disease gets worse. I just had a shoulder operation and the doctor said its was wear and tear over the years. I feel great now. I also had a doctor give me 3 injections in my spine (lower lumbar region) called lumbar epidural steroidal injections and my sciatica and lower back are wonderful...but as was mentioned by Cassie it lasts hopefully for 3 months. But I feel like a miracle has happened. Yahooooooo..I am also on many pain killers and muscle relaxers.......also exercise daily....it helps ....good luck
Bruce
Chatterbox
Wollongong, Australia
Bruce is male  Bruce has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

20-11-2012, 11:08 AM

Originally Posted by Marcus ->
I also had a doctor give me 3 injections in my spine (lower lumbar region) called lumbar epidural steroidal injections and my sciatica and lower back are wonderful..
I had that before my ops but it didn't work for more than a few days at a time. They used a CAT scan to get the needle in the right place. They have to try I guess.

See my entry for September 1998 - Click here
BowieEyes
Nottinghamshire, UK
BowieEyes is female  BowieEyes has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

20-11-2012, 12:45 PM

Hi sorry for the pain as I have had Sciatica and sometimes it comes back and then goes again.
I hurt my back when I was 20 lifting a heavy crate and didnt bend my knees. So the Doc said I had pulled my disc out. I never got any treatment for it and it did hurt again when I was pregnant. I am not one for taking pain killers but do find a bath at night time helps me relax and I sleep quite well.
It came back a few times over the years including this year. Its down my left leg and I go for a massage on my back. A friend of mine has had acupuncture and that worked for a awhile.
My leg is OK now as I had a slight walking accident the other week. I walked into a small hole in the road whilst talking to someone and slightly went over on my leg without falling. I heard a crack in my back and I am now pain free and no Sciatica. I wouldnt recommend it to everyone but maybe some kind of manipulation of the spine might work for some people?
Good luck all as I know the pain.
Bruce
Chatterbox
Wollongong, Australia

20-11-2012, 10:48 PM

Originally Posted by BowieEyes ->
My leg is OK now as I had a slight walking accident the other week. I walked into a small hole in the road whilst talking to someone and slightly went over on my leg without falling. I heard a crack in my back and I am now pain free and no Sciatica. I wouldnt recommend it to everyone but maybe some kind of manipulation of the spine might work for some people?
Good luck all as I know the pain.
Early on, when the sciatica came and went, I went to a chiropractor a few times with mixed results.
TedHutchinson
Louth UK
TedHutchinson is male  TedHutchinson has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-11-2012, 11:40 PM

Neuropathic pain, depressive symptoms and C-reactive protein in sciatica patients

This study tells us the level of C-reactive protein in people with Sciatica is closely related to the amount of neuropathic pain they suffer.

The constant chronic pain that I used to suffer was neuropathic pain.
I raised my 25(OH)D level to 125nmol/l.
I no longer suffer constant pain.

C-reactive protein (CRP) is protein found in the blood, the levels of CRP rise in response to inflammation.

More inflammation = more CRP and more pain.

There are ways to reduce inflammation, reduce CRP and also reduce pain.

Vitamin D3 is an anti-inflammatory agent.
It works most efficinetly when 25(OH)D levels are 125nmol/l = 50ng/ml.

This article explains the process
How Vitamin D Inhibits Inflammation

Amazon UK have 5000iu vitamin D capsules for less than £10 for a years supply.
Birminghams NHS pathlab offer postal
City Assays Vitamin D Blood Spot Test £25

It takes about 3~5 months to get 25(OH)D levels to 125nmol/l so you can supplement at 1000iu/daily for each 25lbs you weigh until next March, get a vit d test and adjust your daily intake 1000iu day more if still below 125nmol/l or 1000iu/d less if above 150nmol/l.

Low Vitamin D Levels May Be Associated With Recurrent Inflammatory Spinal Cord Disease

Associations Between Vitamin D Status and Pain in Older Adults
The Dog Lover
Watford
The Dog Lover is female  The Dog Lover has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

22-11-2012, 02:24 PM

Yet another lecture
mesco m
manchester
mesco m is female  mesco m has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

22-11-2012, 03:49 PM

Originally Posted by The Dog Lover ->
Yet another lecture
I wonder has he a vitamin that will stop painful lectures.

Page 2 of 7 < 1 2 3 4 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top