Join for free
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
zuludog
N E Lancashire
zuludog is male  zuludog has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-11-2015, 09:41 PM

USA, Canada, and atheism

I have been reading a couple of books on atheism by Richard Dawkins and Christopher Hitchens, and watched several discussions on YouTube

I get the impression that most Europeans are reasonably tolerant about atheism & atheists. They might disagree with you, and be unhappy with your decision, but generally accept that you are entitled to your point of view
I'm thinking here of the population as a whole, and not just those who's job it is to uphold religious views

It seems that only in the USA is there widespread violent and hysterical hostility and intolerance

I wondered if this is unique to the USA, or is it all of North America?

What do Canadians think about atheism?
Robertav
Edmonton, canada
Robertav is female  Robertav has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-11-2015, 08:25 AM

Re: USA, Canada, and atheism

Thats difficult to answer, but i think for the most part Canadians are quite tolerant in regards to people and their beliefs
Patsy
Chatterbox
UK
Patsy is female  Patsy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-11-2015, 10:02 AM

Originally Posted by zuludog ->
I have been reading a couple of books on atheism by Richard Dawkins and Christopher Hitchens, and watched several discussions on YouTube

I get the impression that most Europeans are reasonably tolerant about atheism & atheists. They might disagree with you, and be unhappy with your decision, but generally accept that you are entitled to your point of view
I'm thinking here of the population as a whole, and not just those who's job it is to uphold religious views

It seems that only in the USA is there widespread violent and hysterical hostility and intolerance

I wondered if this is unique to the USA, or is it all of North America?

What do Canadians think about atheism?
Yes agree with that from what I've observed - maybe its because the Americans are a fanatical bunch in the sense that they are usually OTT on most things - they like to whoop and yell don't they - which has transferred over to here too - I'm sure my comment won't offend its just a matter of fact
Graham
South Hampshire
Graham is male  Graham has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-11-2015, 10:02 AM

The only people hostile to atheists are the hard-core religious nut-jobs. The average person with average religious beliefs isn't usually too bothered. But talk to a nut-job about religion and be prepared to be sent to the lowest pits of hell and torment for all eternity (whilst they prey for your soul).

I often find it hypocritical and rather sad that someone is willing to curse a person to that, when at the same time they will claim that their religion preaches love, tolerance and forgiveness to everyone and their god loves me. (The same god who created and sends people to this fiery pit of hell.)

As an observation, when I visit the US, I usually find that the statements about 'sending the heathen to damnation' is usually on a TV station and accompanied with a plea to send (tax free) money to their so-called Church.
Meg
Supervisor
Worcestershire
Meg is female  Meg has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-11-2015, 10:09 AM

Originally Posted by Graham ->
I often find it hypocritical and rather sad that someone is willing to curse a person to that, when at the same time they will claim that their religion preaches love, tolerance and forgiveness to everyone and their god loves me. (The same god who created and sends people to this fiery pit of hell.)
I agree and guess that happens to a degree in all countries.
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey
Julie1962 is female  Julie1962 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-11-2015, 10:19 AM

I agree with Graham the people who do this are just as likely to condemn moderate people of their own faith, I know according to one lady I am going to hell because I associate with Muslims and don't believe half of what she does (very judgemental about gay people). I don't think it should bother anyone though as most people like that make their own lives sadder than they do anyone else's.
Patsy
Chatterbox
UK
Patsy is female  Patsy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-11-2015, 10:54 AM

Originally Posted by Graham ->
The only people hostile to atheists are the hard-core religious nut-jobs. The average person with average religious beliefs isn't usually too bothered. But talk to a nut-job about religion and be prepared to be sent to the lowest pits of hell and torment for all eternity (whilst they prey for your soul).

As an observation, when I visit the US, I usually find that the statements about 'sending the heathen to damnation' is usually on a TV station and accompanied with a plea to send (tax free) money to their so-called Church.

Very true - sickens me
malcolm
Chatterbox
UK
malcolm is male  malcolm has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-11-2015, 10:59 AM

Originally Posted by Patsy ->
they like to whoop and yell don't they - which has transferred over to here too - I'm sure my comment won't offend its just a matter of fact
Quite agree Patsy .. individually I find Americans to be reasonably OK but as a group they are to be avoided

zuludog
N E Lancashire
zuludog is male  zuludog has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-11-2015, 05:39 PM

A reasonable selection of replies

Richard Dawkins says he gets a lot of mail, from all over the world trying to discuss academic points and theology, but the really vicious, intolerant, threatening hate mail invariably comes from American Christians
Realist
Chatterbox
UK
Realist is male  Realist has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

13-11-2015, 01:47 PM

Originally Posted by zuludog ->
A reasonable selection of replies

Richard Dawkins says he gets a lot of mail, from all over the world trying to discuss academic points and theology, but the really vicious, intolerant, threatening hate mail invariably comes from American Christians
The richest countries clearly have the most money to control the media streams and thereby have the greater power to dupe, mislead and condition the masses. America is obviously at the top of that tree. Generations of Americans have been duped, controlled into submission and as a result the country across most of its states are fanatical Bible bashers.

The issue is not one of which religion (if any) to choose. The issue is establishing sufficient freedom in any given country to exercise rational thought, sensible reasoning and evidential enquiry. When you restrict those things, when you control one side over another then the freedom is lost.
Hence the syllabuses in schools are tightly controlled, TV and other media for young kids is tightly controlled and manipulated.

Every single person is responsible for their own thinking and reasoning. We HAVE to question everything, test everything, explore the evidence and facts of everything and work out for ourselves what the truth is.

The very moment that you lay aside that personal responsibility due to peer pressure or because you just can't be bothered, that is the moment that you adopt some kind of trust/faith/belief notion in place of fact and reasoning and the moment you do that, is the moment that you give power to someone or to some group of people.

That kind of power corrupts absolutely as we can see the world over.

Hence I don't call myself an athiest nor a follower of any given religion. I am simply a seeker, searching for truth, answers and facts, in a world that is tightly controlled by those we have stupidly given power to and who are doing their utmost to hide those truths in order to preserve that position of power.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top