Join for free
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
zuludog
N E Lancashire
zuludog is male  zuludog has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-01-2019, 01:46 PM

Amazon Prime help please

A few days ago I bought a book from Amazon, and I find that I've inadvertently signed up for Amazon Prime

Can you tell me how I cancel it please?
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey
Julie1962 is female  Julie1962 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-01-2019, 01:48 PM

Re: Amazon Prime help please

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/help/cus...deId=200421650

Not done it myself but looks fairly simple if you are within the free trial period.
longfellow
Chatterbox
Penthouse in Essex overlooking the Thames.
longfellow is male  longfellow has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-01-2019, 02:03 PM

Originally Posted by Julie1962 ->

Not done it myself but looks fairly simple if you are within the free trial period.
Thanks for the reminder Julie I had restarted my Prime just before Christmas when I found that I would have to wait till after Christmas for quite a few of the things I ordered. So I restarted Prime and not only got them delivered within 24 hrs but also got them all free delivery because I had rejoined .
It worked out fine and I meant to cancel afterwards but forgot till I saw your connection.

Thanks again well worth the 7.99 I paid.
Realist
Chatterbox
UK
Realist is male  Realist has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-01-2019, 02:16 PM

Originally Posted by zuludog ->
A few days ago I bought a book from Amazon, and I find that I've inadvertently signed up for Amazon Prime

Can you tell me how I cancel it please?
Hi Zulu

Very easy mistake to make done it myself and was absolutely furious with Amazon.

They very deliberately word the button on the screen in such a way as to fool people into pressing it. On that actual screen you need to not press the button at all but press the highlighted text to the side of it.

Anyway

When I did it I immediately went into my account and found the Contact Us or Help section. It's hard to find real contact numbers on the main site if I remember.

I think I then emailed Amazon with an extremely stroppy letter threatening to close my account if they didn't:

1) Remove me from the Amazon Prime trial immediately

2) Remove any and all references to Amazon Prime from my account (i.e. removing any system flags that said I was or have ever been an Amazon Prime user)

They were apologetic and did what I asked.

You need to do this because the trial period is a typical scam whereby if you do nothing then when the period comes to an end they start charging you. You have you specifically terminate the agreement.

The entire thing is imho fraudulent BS. They very deliberately steer people into this mess using their on screen tricky and confusing wording on that purchase button. Unfortunately they are a law unto themselves and it's unlikely any authority will take them on for what they have been doing for years.

Complain bitterly, insist on the trial being IMMEDIATELY removed and any references in your account removed. Don't let them fob you off with a statement of "Oh just let the trial period run its course"
Omah
Chatterbox
Ludlow
Omah is male  Omah has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-01-2019, 02:23 PM

Originally Posted by Julie1962 ->

I've used those instructions before and they work .....
Longdogs
Chatterbox
SW England
Longdogs is male  Longdogs has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-01-2019, 02:33 PM

Amazon are B*stards for this. Almost fell into their sneaky trap myself a few days ago. This practice should be made illegal but of course nothing will be done about it.
zuludog
N E Lancashire
zuludog is male  zuludog has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-01-2019, 07:52 PM

Thanks for your help

I used the website listed by Julie1962 and I think I've done it, ie cancelled my trial Prime membership

I have been aware of the deviousness of Prime for ages, and I seem to recall that amazon had a public ticking off about it a few months ago

I usually manage to avoid this sort of thing with Amazon and other suppliers, but you need to be an expert in double negatives and doublespeak, and to really concentrate - this time I obviously missed it

You can be sure that Amazon will make sure that it is not doing anything illegal, but it is IMO sharp practice

I'll pay careful attention to my bank account in February to see if I have still been charged
Meg
Supervisor
Worcestershire
Meg is female  Meg has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-01-2019, 07:55 PM

I accidentally joined Prime a couple of years ago and got an instant refund when I complained.
realspeed
Chatterbox
South coast
realspeed is male  realspeed has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-01-2019, 08:09 PM

I joined to get a couple of things quickly., then cancelled straight away .this means I have 1 month free . The trick is wait a couple of months then join again and cancel for another free month
Ffosse
Chatterbox
Edinburgh
Ffosse is male  Ffosse has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-01-2019, 08:31 PM

Ive done this my self a couple of times and think Amazon should be sued for it.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top