Join for free
Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
Realist
Chatterbox
UK
Realist is male  Realist has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-01-2019, 09:03 PM

Re: Amazon Prime help please

Originally Posted by Ffosse ->
Ive done this my self a couple of times and think Amazon should be sued for it.
I agree but they are likely making more from al the trials and subsequent member subscriptions that they would be sued for.

This is the offending screen that trips people up:

In order to continue with the order WITHOUT joining the Amazon Prime trial you have to click the text to the left of the scam button. That's counter-intuitive as everywhere else you press buttons to action things.

The button they provide there appears to be in 2 separate parts, the upper being "Accept free Prime Trial" and the lower you thus assume is the "No Thanks I don't want the trial" option, but it isn't. Both upper and lower are the same. They both initiate the Amazon Prime Trial.

It is a fraudulent scam any way you cut it, designed to forcibly get people onto the trial scheme so that a % of those that do, eventually pay for a year's Amazon Prime.

This is the kind of problem we get when we make a person or company ultra powerful. The power is abused. Google is no different. A law unto itself.

Complain bitterly imho
Realist
Chatterbox
UK
Realist is male  Realist has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-01-2019, 09:05 PM

Note however that the offending screen above only appears if you have JAVASCRIPT enabled on your PC/Laptop. If you disable it (as I generally do) then you get the normal purchase screens.
Omah
Chatterbox
Ludlow
Omah is male  Omah has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-01-2019, 09:22 PM

Originally Posted by Realist ->
This is the offending screen that trips people up:

Originally Posted by Realist ->
In order to continue with the order WITHOUT joining the Amazon Prime trial you have to click the text to the left of the scam button. That's counter-intuitive as everywhere else you press buttons to action things.

The button they provide there appears to be in 2 separate parts, the upper being "Accept free Prime Trial" and the lower you thus assume is the "No Thanks I don't want the trial" option, but it isn't. Both upper and lower are the same. They both initiate the Amazon Prime Trial.
Yes, that's how I got caught out .....
JBR
Chatterbox
Cheshire, UK
JBR is male  JBR has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-01-2019, 09:44 PM

I have joined Amazon Prime on more than one occasion, but only the free trials offered. On each occasion, I make a note in my online (Google Calendar) diary, and ensure that I cancel just before the trial period is up.

On the other hand, I completely agree that their underhand methods are disgraceful. The pictures above demonstrate just how easy it is to come unstuck when signing on for a free trial.

Since last cancelling my Prime account, I continue to receive 'offers' to rejoin but, unfortunately, no 'free trials' and I have no intention ever to pay for Prime.
scot37
Aberdeenshire
scot37 is male  scot37 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-01-2019, 09:45 PM

I buy lots of stuff from Amazon and use Prime a lot. I have never used the extras you get with Prime. I will maybe cancel it some day.
fender
Chatterbox
SE England
fender is male  fender has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-01-2019, 09:48 PM

I agree their tactics are underhand.

However, I buy a lot from them, so prime is a benefit to me, as is the music / videos etc. I like it, but it's not for everyone.
fender
Chatterbox
SE England
fender is male  fender has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-01-2019, 09:50 PM

Originally Posted by ruthio ->
Where do you find this JAVASCRIPT in order to disable it please?
I've looked in Settings and there's no mention of it.
This might help...

https://www.computerhope.com/issues/ch000891.htm
ruthio
Chatterbox
Southern UK
ruthio is female  ruthio has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-01-2019, 09:52 PM

Originally Posted by fender ->
This might help...

Thanks fender!
I googled it and it's easy peasy, so I deleted my post.
I had to open Chrome, then Settings, then Site Settings, then Java, then clicked OFF. All done!
fender
Chatterbox
SE England

09-01-2019, 09:57 PM

Originally Posted by ruthio ->
Thanks fender!
I googled it and it's easy peasy, so I deleted my post.
I had to open Chrome, then Settings, then Site Settings, then Java, then clicked OFF. All done!
Nice one.....
JBR
Chatterbox
Cheshire, UK
JBR is male  JBR has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-01-2019, 10:52 PM

Originally Posted by fender ->
This might help...

I disabled Javascript only to find that Gmail cannot run, at least under its normal form, without javascript, so restored it.

I did try to run Gmail without Javascript and the only option was to use a simplified version which I really didn't like!

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top