Join for free
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

25-03-2014, 10:32 PM

Amaryllis (or Hippeastrums)

Does anyone else keep these lovely showy bulbs each winter?
If so, do you keep the bulbs afterwards hoping to get them back in flower next year, and if so, are you ever successful?
I do enjoy seeing these big showy flowers each year, but they are expensive to buy just to discard afterwards.
For the previous two winters I have tried everything I know to get them back in flower, but can never manage it. Any tips?
EZ Rider
Chatterbox
Surrey
EZ Rider is male  EZ Rider has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

25-03-2014, 10:56 PM

Re: Amaryllis (or Hippeastrums)

Same here Mups. I buy one or two every year and always follow the instructions hoping for a rebirth the following year but its never happened yet. I have a really beautiful deep velvety red one on my table at the moment so fingers crossed for next year.
Mags
Supervisor
South West UK
Mags is female  Mags has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

25-03-2014, 10:58 PM

I haven't been able to get my amarylis to flower either, Mups ...... plenty of green leaves though

I've had a google around and found this, hope it may be of help to you

http://www.edp24.co.uk/lifestyle/hip...year_1_1353805
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

25-03-2014, 11:09 PM

Originally Posted by Mags ->
I haven't been able to get my amarylis to flower either, Mups ...... plenty of green leaves though

I've had a google around and found this, hope it may be of help to you

http://www.edp24.co.uk/lifestyle/hip...year_1_1353805

That was kind of you Mags, thankyou.
I have tried all those things before but it doesn't want to work for me, and it is so frustrating. This year I got about 5 miniature Hippeastrums, they're really nice. The flowers are not that much smaller than the big ones but are on shorter stems, I love them. I will try looking after these again this year, but if it still don't work this time, I shall probably give up.
A lovely man at my local garden centre used to be a head gardener in a stately home and he said they used to grow hundreds of these bulbs and only ever got about 50% back into flower. Strange isn't it.
Janela
Fondly Remembered
Essex UK
Janela is female  Janela has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

26-03-2014, 10:41 AM

I keep mine each year and find after a couple of years they only grow leaves. This year, the one I have is making new growth .. I left it to dry out in the greenhouse over winter and I'm now feeding it.
It will be interesting to see if it flowers.
Abby
Australia
Abby is female  Abby has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

26-03-2014, 11:01 AM

Hippeastrum Papilio - it is evergreen

Seed Pods

I think part of your problem is the cold weather - you need to feed the bulb after it finishes flowering.

In our climate I keep them out all the time and the ones that do the best are the ones growing in the garden
Janela
Fondly Remembered
Essex UK
Janela is female  Janela has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-04-2014, 10:03 AM

Beautiful flowers in the first picture Abby
Mine is about 8" tall now, all leaves so far but they have a tinge of red on them, so I'll keep watering and feeding.
Bruce
Chatterbox
Wollongong, Australia
Bruce is male  Bruce has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-04-2014, 01:55 PM

I planted some seeds from mine they seem to have all germinated but from seed they take a couple of years to flower apparently but the mature ones flower each spring.
Abby
Australia
Abby is female  Abby has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

13-04-2014, 12:23 AM

Originally Posted by Janela ->
Beautiful flowers in the first picture Abby
Mine is about 8" tall now, all leaves so far but they have a tinge of red on them, so I'll keep watering and feeding.
There are many specie of hippeastrum and on top of that many more hybrids. Depending on the variety, the different care you have to give them - overwatering some will kill the bulb - good drainage is essential.
Abby
Australia

13-04-2014, 12:30 AM

Originally Posted by Bruce ->
I planted some seeds from mine they seem to have all germinated but from seed they take a couple of years to flower apparently but the mature ones flower each spring.
Mine usually take 3/4 years to bloom from seed.

Having said that I have had them bloom within 2 years using light lamp and keeping them indoors over winter.

It is important to fertilize the bulbs after flowering before they go into hibernation. The progeny from Papilio tend to be evergreen.

Hippeastrums like to live in clumps and will flower a lot better if left undisturbed - nice to give your friend a bulb but you may well be sacrificing your next springs blooms.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top