Join for free
Page 5 of 5 « First < 3 4 5
stevmk2
Milton Keynes
stevmk2 is male  stevmk2 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-05-2014, 05:11 PM

Re: Wild Birds.

I've not actually seen this for a few years in our garden but up to about 7 year ago we used to get Sparrows and Starlings together in our garden and very often the Sparrow parents would feed Starling chicks and vice-versa!

It was fantastic to watch because babies, being babies, don't care who they beg from, as long as it's an adult bird with some food in its beak!

This year we were hoping to see the Robin babies but so far all we see is the parents from two different nests.

At work I had Blackbird parents taking all I put out for them for weeks then one day the male appeared, almost at my feet, made a few chirruping noise and out came "baby" - she was bloody enormous too but I definitely got the impression he was showing her off!! stevmk2
Janela
Fondly Remembered
Essex UK
Janela is female  Janela has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-05-2014, 08:11 PM

Do you find there are more sparrows and less starlings this year Steve?
stevmk2
Milton Keynes
stevmk2 is male  stevmk2 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

13-05-2014, 04:41 PM

Originally Posted by Janela ->
Do you find there are more sparrows and less starlings this year Steve?
Hardly any starlings this year, which is a bit of a bonus in some ways because sometimes they get a bit thuggish.

Can't help but wonder why though?

Years ago in Algiers I stayed in a company guest house in Paradou Hydra - one of the highest points of the old city.

In the early evenings thousands used to congregate overhead and it was quite a show - bit like Bill Oddie did on a birding show a few years ago but far bigger.

It was just like watching a huge shoal of fish dancing beneath the waves, responding to anything and everything but as one - absolutely captivating! stevmk2
Curmudgeon
Surrey UK
Curmudgeon is male  Curmudgeon has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

13-05-2014, 05:33 PM

Yes they are not about this year, thought it was just us but this morning I visited friends who live in our old house. There always used to be scores of starlings in that garden but they said they also had only seen a few pairs .
Nom
Chatterbox
Northumberland
Nom is male  Nom has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

13-05-2014, 05:38 PM

A very mild winter meant we did not get loads of continental Starlings which migrate to the UK to escape harsh weather. It also meant they did not need to supplement their diet with garden feeding. add to the fact they are in decline means probably fewer visible than other years.
AutumnColour
Chatterbox
Trent Hills, Ontario
AutumnColour is female  AutumnColour has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

17-05-2014, 06:35 PM

I had planted some fuchsia coloured & deep pink coloured geraniums & was thrilled last night about 7:30 pm to see a hummingbird flying around them. I've only ever seen a couple in the 8 years we've lived here so it was wonderful to see
I can't believe how tiny they are
Mags
Supervisor
South West UK
Mags is female  Mags has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

17-05-2014, 06:52 PM

Originally Posted by AutumnColour ->
I had planted some fuchsia coloured & deep pink coloured geraniums & was thrilled last night about 7:30 pm to see a hummingbird flying around them. I've only ever seen a couple in the 8 years we've lived here so it was wonderful to see
I can't believe how tiny they are
That must have been a lovely sight, Autumn
AutumnColour
Chatterbox
Trent Hills, Ontario
AutumnColour is female  AutumnColour has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

17-05-2014, 06:56 PM

Yes I saw it again this afternoon for a couple of seconds. Too fast to even get my camera.
lilac
West yorks uk
lilac is female  lilac has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

17-05-2014, 07:17 PM

''Nature raw.in tooth and claw!''

We have a sparrow hawk who sits on a street light lamp..

The resident magpie soon calls the alarm..

Page 5 of 5 « First < 3 4 5

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top