Join for free
Peachmango
New Member!
Tennessee
Peachmango is female 

10-05-2014, 03:54 PM

Help me save my Hydrangea bush

My hydrangea looks like dead, peeling sticks...help! What went wrong and how do I save it?
lilac
West yorks uk
lilac is female  lilac has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

10-05-2014, 04:30 PM

Re: Help me save my Hydrangea bush

John..my gardener said ''cut it back to the roots'' taking away all the dead wood..if the wood is still brown near the roots..you have lost it..but if it is green inside..there is hope..
cranberry
Notts, UK
cranberry is female  cranberry has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

10-05-2014, 05:50 PM

I would gently scrape a few shoots to see if they're alive and the ones that are brown and very dry then cut them back to the ground. This hard cutting back should be done on older wood every year, leaving the newer shoots.
I inherited a very old hydrangea and did this and last year it was full of health and flowered its socks off.
However, since you live in the USA, there may be an underlying cause that we here, know nothing about.
Janela
Fondly Remembered
Essex UK
Janela is female  Janela has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

10-05-2014, 06:37 PM

I'd say much the same as Lilac and Cranberry.
It's difficult for us to know your growing conditions in America but I did find this American link for hydrangeas
http://www.almanac.com/plant/hydrangea
Hope it helps

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top