Join for free
AutumnColour
Chatterbox
Trent Hills, Ontario
AutumnColour is female  AutumnColour has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

11-05-2014, 08:45 PM

Geraniums

I never used to be a geranium person, but in the last few years I always get enough to fill a couple of pots, loving these plants now. Luckily I can get the plants for $1 each at WalMart & they're nice & healthy too.

The store doesn't carry a myriad of colours so I pick the pinks but love the deeper shades of pink, pinky red.

One thing I find relaxing & sounds silly but I really enjoy deadheading the flowers. If you know geraniums, you see there's wee stalks of flowers in each cluster so I like picking off the dead ones.

One thing I've never done is try to save geraniums before winter. Has anyone done this successfully?
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

11-05-2014, 10:59 PM

Re: Geraniums

Hi Autumn, I save any favourite ones, or take cuttings otherwise. They overwinter indoors on my windowsills. I have bought two more this year, a lovely deep warm red, and a purple & white flowered, and I shall definitely take some cuttings from those. I had one particular soft pink one that belonged to someone who died about 7 years ago, and I have taken cuttings from that most years so I always have one of those even though I no longer have the mother plant.
Janela
Fondly Remembered
Essex UK
Janela is female  Janela has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-05-2014, 04:15 PM

Like you Mups, I overwinter all my geraniums but mine are in the greenhouse (frost free) and I take cuttings too. I should think I've trebled my collection!
My daughter has mentioned a liking for the salmon coloured ones, so I have half a dozen ready to pot on for her.
My favourite at the moment is a red zonal pelargoium, vibrant and compact
Robert Junior
Chatterbox
UK
Robert Junior is male  Robert Junior has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-05-2014, 04:42 PM

Have you tried herbaceous GERANIUMS? They have lots of useful features, hardy, free flowering, easy to propagate etc.
AutumnColour
Chatterbox
Trent Hills, Ontario
AutumnColour is female  AutumnColour has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-05-2014, 05:34 PM

No are they more expensive? I can buy normal plants for $1 so I guess that's close to £2 in UK?
Robert Junior
Chatterbox
UK
Robert Junior is male  Robert Junior has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-05-2014, 08:30 PM

Originally Posted by AutumnColour ->
No are they more expensive? I can buy normal plants for $1 so I guess that's close to £2 in UK?
You can't really compare them because they spread or tumble across the border (some varieties don't) & are perennial. Mostly pastel pinks, blues, mauves, lilac & white.
Zonal Geraniums or Pelargonium are more compact in vivid colors. I don't try to overwinter these.

Look them up on the net

****Hardy geraniums national collection****
Bruce
Chatterbox
Wollongong, Australia
Bruce is male  Bruce has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

13-05-2014, 08:42 AM

I never liked geraniums much (they smell like cats piss) but have come to appreciate them recently. The flowers last for ever and you just need to break a bit off and stick it in the ground for another to grow.

They seem reasonably drought tolerant too they certain find our winter easy to survive.
Janela
Fondly Remembered
Essex UK
Janela is female  Janela has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

13-05-2014, 08:57 AM

I have a couple of the herbacious ones, clump forming with small flowers.
I chop them down about now to make way for other plants. They self seed all
over the place.
AutumnColour
Chatterbox
Trent Hills, Ontario

13-05-2014, 12:21 PM

I didn't know you could just cut some off, stick them in the ground & a new plant would grow. Will have to try that.

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top