Join for free
Lizzyjean
New Member!
Essex, UK
Lizzyjean is female 

16-05-2014, 01:35 PM

Rabbits - what won't they eat??

Hi there, does anyone have any suggestions for flowers that rabbits won't eat. I was assured they don't like geraniums but they seem to be forcing them down (along with everything else I've planted)!! I live on a mobile home site so no fences allowed (but they'd probably eat through them or dig under anyway). I have a small bed which I dug over late winter ready for this season and it feels like a war zone!!
stevmk2
Milton Keynes
stevmk2 is male  stevmk2 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

16-05-2014, 03:00 PM

Re: Rabbits - what won't they eat??

Originally Posted by Lizzyjean ->
Hi there, does anyone have any suggestions for flowers that rabbits won't eat. I was assured they don't like geraniums but they seem to be forcing them down (along with everything else I've planted)!! I live on a mobile home site so no fences allowed (but they'd probably eat through them or dig under anyway). I have a small bed which I dug over late winter ready for this season and it feels like a war zone!! Thanks:
Found this Lizzy: - http://www.complete-gardens.co.uk/on...=15&sub_cat=15

Have a look 'cos there's some nice plants there! stevmk2
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

16-05-2014, 04:12 PM

Originally Posted by Lizzyjean ->
Hi there, does anyone have any suggestions for flowers that rabbits won't eat. I was assured they don't like geraniums but they seem to be forcing them down (along with everything else I've planted)!! I live on a mobile home site so no fences allowed (but they'd probably eat through them or dig under anyway). I have a small bed which I dug over late winter ready for this season and it feels like a war zone!!

Lizzy, if you can't fence, I think I would try raised beds, as high as you're allowed. failing that, tubs and troughs so the plants are up off the ground a bit more.
Silver Tabby
Chatterbox
God's own county!
Silver Tabby is female  Silver Tabby has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

16-05-2014, 04:40 PM

You could try one of those carnivorous plants - it might eat the rabbits !
Lizzyjean
New Member!
Essex, UK
Lizzyjean is female 

16-05-2014, 05:39 PM

Originally Posted by stevmk2 ->
Found this Lizzy: - http://www.complete-gardens.co.uk/on...=15&sub_cat=15

Have a look 'cos there's some nice plants there! stevmk2
Wow Thanks Stevmk2 I hadn't found this site and it looks great, I'll definitely give some of these plants a try.
Lizzyjean
New Member!
Essex, UK
Lizzyjean is female 

16-05-2014, 05:41 PM

Originally Posted by Silver Tabby ->
You could try one of those carnivorous plants - it might eat the rabbits !
ha ha now that's a great idea! I used to like rabbits but my affection is wearing a little thinner every day.
Lizzyjean
New Member!
Essex, UK
Lizzyjean is female 

16-05-2014, 06:46 PM

Originally Posted by Mups ->
Lizzy, if you can't fence, I think I would try raised beds, as high as you're allowed. failing that, tubs and troughs so the plants are up off the ground a bit more.
yes, Mups - I do have a lot of tall pots and that works (so far!) but I didn't want to raise the newly dug patch as I think it would look a bit odd where it is - of course I could just grass it over but I'm hoping not to have to do that at the moment.

Thanks for everyone's advice on this.

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top