Join for free
Curmudgeon
Surrey UK
Curmudgeon is male  Curmudgeon has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-05-2014, 03:36 PM

Portuguese Laurel

Why bother with dull old conifers ? Prunus lusitanica myrtifolia are glorious glossy green all year, smothered in frothy white fronds in earl summer, tolerant of soil and situation . Mine are growing at 350 mm per year and will reach 5m but are easily trimmed as required . If you have a boundary you want screened these are the plants to go for . I planted these 18 months ago at 1 m tall and they are now 1.75 and look fantastic. They will reach the top of the fence by the end of the year and next year blot out the neighbours kids swings and trampoline.

stevmk2
Milton Keynes
stevmk2 is male  stevmk2 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-05-2014, 03:41 PM

Re: Portuguese Laurel

Originally Posted by Curmudgeon ->
Why bother with dull old conifers ? Prunus lusitanica myrtifolia are glorious glossy green all year, smothered in frothy white fronds in earl summer, tolerant of soil and situation .
Agree with you on that Curmdgeon!

We have a lot where I work and the scent from them was very strong this year.

Slow growing and easily kept in shape and not nearly as invasive as confers. stevmk2
cranberry
Notts, UK
cranberry is female  cranberry has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-05-2014, 04:20 PM

Ooh that plant does look lovely, think I will have to get one. We have a neighbours bare arbour type thing poking about a foot higher than our fence, nicely kept but I'd rather not see it so hopefully one of those may do the trick.
stevmk2
Milton Keynes
stevmk2 is male  stevmk2 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-05-2014, 04:55 PM

Originally Posted by cranberry ->
Ooh that plant does look lovely, think I will have to get one. We have a neighbours bare arbour type thing poking about a foot higher than our fence, nicely kept but I'd rather not see it so hopefully one of those may do the trick.
Being evergreen is a bonus too cranberry!
Lovely plant! stevmk2
cranberry
Notts, UK
cranberry is female  cranberry has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-05-2014, 05:08 PM

Yes will be looking tomorrow for one - always a big plus when it's evergreen.
orangutan
Chatterbox
Another world
orangutan is female  orangutan has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

24-05-2014, 04:25 AM

Last one I had grew like a weed and I was forever having to control i.e. chop it!
Curmudgeon
Surrey UK
Curmudgeon is male  Curmudgeon has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

24-05-2014, 04:59 PM

Originally Posted by orangutan ->
Last one I had grew like a weed and I was forever having to control i.e. chop it!
All that vigour and looks fantastic, what more could you want ?
Patsy
Chatterbox
UK
Patsy is female  Patsy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

24-05-2014, 05:10 PM

I thought Stan Laurel was English

Its a lovely plant though
cranberry
Notts, UK

24-05-2014, 06:06 PM

Originally Posted by orangutan ->
I think a lot of plants are a bit like that, though. I don't mind really, just have to keep an eye on it and trim bits here and there.

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top