Join for free
AliceB
Cheshire
AliceB is female  AliceB has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

28-05-2014, 10:33 PM

Identification of pest on rose.............

One of my roses has a fair amount of greenfly and that I can deal with, but there is another pest which I don't recognise. I've sprayed the greenfly, but the other problem persists.

They're tiny white things, like minute grains of rice. Are they eggs of some sort?

As you may gather, I'm no gardener, so I'd appreciate any identification and how to get rid.........

Thanks

Gwyn
cranberry
Notts, UK
cranberry is female  cranberry has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

29-05-2014, 06:42 PM

Re: Identification of pest on rose.............

Do they fly....I have whitefly on mine as well as greenfly and blackfly!! Had a field day this year all these critters, must be the wet weather!!
AliceB
Cheshire
AliceB is female  AliceB has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

29-05-2014, 07:59 PM

I had a closer look today and when I shook some of the rose stems, some of them did come off, so perhaps they are white fly.

I've had patio roses before, but never, ever have I seen so many greenfly. I sprayed them all today, so hopefully the population will diminish!

Thank you for your help - much appreciated.

Gwyn
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

31-05-2014, 10:37 PM

Originally Posted by cranberry ->
Do they fly....I have whitefly on mine as well as greenfly and blackfly!! Had a field day this year all these critters, must be the wet weather!!

I said exactly the same on another thread Cranberry, loads of insects this year, and they started so early as well.
I, too, have had greenfly/blackfly/whitefly/vine weevil/scale - on my pinks, now the dreaded blackspot has shown early signs as well! Plus I've got an ants nest in my compost bin!!
cranberry
Notts, UK
cranberry is female  cranberry has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

01-06-2014, 06:46 PM

I have now found sawfly, woolly aphids on apple tree also now being over run by May bugs!!! I hate killing things but needs must. I dread checking the plants now in case something else has arrived overnight.
I don't have the weevils....yet.

It's soul destroying, isn't it, Mups?
AliceB
Cheshire

01-06-2014, 07:51 PM

I too, don't like zapping things, but my roses seem to be rather sick - I've sprayed 'em for greenfly and whitefly, but some of the buds look obviously diseased - all shrivelled.

The garden seems to be over-run by nasties at the moment doesn't it?

Gwyn
cranberry
Notts, UK

01-06-2014, 08:12 PM

Yes it does...... a couple of my rosebuds looked a bit rough so I cut them off, I don't think they would have opened anyway
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

01-06-2014, 11:01 PM

2 of my rose bushes have got signs of powdery mildew as well now !
cranberry
Notts, UK

02-06-2014, 11:28 AM

Originally Posted by Mups ->
2 of my rose bushes have got signs of powdery mildew as well now !
Oh dear, it gets worse!! I don't have that yet but I've had to pick a few leaves off my 2 climbing roses, I think it's a bit of blackspot, ugh! I water them regularly but being under the eaves they're a bit difficult to manage.

I am going out in a few minutes to check again - my husband thinks I've completely lost it!! Is this the worst year ever for crawlies and diseases - has to be a contender!

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top