Join for free
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-06-2014, 11:36 PM

Oak trees

I never knew this . . . did you?

"Oaks have always been revered and allowed to persist in both woodland and latterly hedgerows thanks to the long-standing belief that to cut one, or even worse, to fell one, causes the tree to scream. Some suggested that the tree feller would be dead within a year. Folklore tells us that anyone intent on cutting an oak should take the precaution of carrying a bible in their pocket and recite psalms, which allegedly protects against all evils. Such superstition and belief caused the trees to become known as gospel oaks."
Silver Tabby
Chatterbox
God's own county!
Silver Tabby is female  Silver Tabby has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-06-2014, 08:13 AM

Re: Oak trees

I didn't know that - but will happily spread the word if it stops people cutting them down !
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey
Julie1962 is female  Julie1962 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-06-2014, 09:35 AM

Years ago I had to chain myself to the one out the back here as the council wanted to cut it down, must say and I know I will sound nuts it felt like the tree knew. We have the same fight on now it hasn't fallen or had any branches fall off in the last 25 years but they have decided it might so want to take it down. Have spoken to some tree people and they say it is protected so will hopefully not have to reprise my tree hugging this time round.

I certainly revere this tree here, it gives us shade and protection from the wind and rain. Really it is special.
Patsy
Chatterbox
UK
Patsy is female  Patsy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-06-2014, 09:43 AM

Love - love trees - especially Oaks - long may they live and thrive ....
lovemyboys
Chatterbox
Canada
lovemyboys is female  lovemyboys has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-06-2014, 09:51 AM

I'd never heard that about oaks. Very interesting!
BowieEyes
Nottinghamshire, UK
BowieEyes is female  BowieEyes has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-06-2014, 10:27 AM

I used to have a massive Oak tree in a property I lived in for 6 years. When I was leaving I went up to my tree and gave it a big hug and at that
point I also felt as though the Oak knew. I also could have sworn it
somehow moved.
So I do believe they have some kind of presence with
them. Bless the Oak
Patsy
Chatterbox
UK
Patsy is female  Patsy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-06-2014, 04:03 PM

For you Sandy .......

Tree Hollow

I am drawn to this tree - as it to me,
Its leaves enclose me - I feel safe
Its boughs embrace me - I feel loved
And there, a hollow - where I sit and ponder,
My tree of wonder ........
Losos
Fondly Remembered
West Suffolk
Losos is male  Losos has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

06-06-2014, 01:15 PM

Originally Posted by Julie1962 ->
We have the same fight on now it hasn't fallen or had any branches fall off in the last 25 years but they have decided it might so want to take it down.
It's the old story Julie, councils are now so scared of being sued that they are doing everything in their power to make them able to defend (and hopefully win) all these fake claims for compensation.

People are aided in this by the lawyers who advertise on TV telling you to make a claim for anything that is not your fault.

So comming out of the pub blind drunk and falling over a council car park curbstone is not your fault, walking under a tree in high winds and ignoring all the warning signs is not your fault, etc etc. and please don't get me started on all the millions of claims from people who have conviently 'forgotten' that they had PPI in order to pick up a nice wad.

Oak is a wonderful wood for all sorts of products but it should be grown in proper forrests, that requires people to make a 100 year investment, it's hard to get people to invest for 10 years let alone 100, it's all "I want it, and I want it NOW" makes me sick just thinking about it.

Oak trees in streets of London should be preserved and nutured. All the lovely Mahogany trees in the Caribean have been cut down, never to be seen again.
Tweety
Scotland
Tweety is female  Tweety has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-06-2014, 08:01 PM

We have one in the village that's over 250 years old....so they say.
Losos
Fondly Remembered
West Suffolk
Losos is male  Losos has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-06-2014, 08:11 PM

Originally Posted by Tweety ->
We have one in the village that's over 250 years old....so they say.
That's another one that should be preserved but the minute a tiny twig falls down on someones head the council will be out there with thier chainsaws cutting it down

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top