Join for free
Page 4 of 12 « First < 2 3 4 5 6 > Last »
Bread
Chatterbox
Sudbury, United Kingdom
Bread is male  Bread has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

22-02-2020, 10:49 PM

Re: 'iconic,' blue post-Brexit passports made in Poland by French-Dutch co

Originally Posted by AnnieS ->
Exactly. This is just the start of what we will see in the future. British jobs? Well they will be non existent if everything is contracted to global manufacturing. I haven't seen anything to convince me otherwise. The future = more of our goods and services imported. But we will have even less control. How many voters agreed to this contract being abroad? Zilch.

They are too expensive .... would you rather we imported labour from poland so we can pay them minimum wage to make them cheaper for us Annie ?

Dont run a business whatever you do.

Do you think the british tax payer would be happy that the government awarded a contract for passports to a company that's the most expensive just because they are in the UK ?

This is a problem for the company in the uk. It should have invested to be more competitive.
Bread
Chatterbox
Sudbury, United Kingdom
Bread is male  Bread has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

22-02-2020, 10:52 PM

Originally Posted by swimfeeders ->
Hi

A great post.

The cost of a Passport is a fraction of what they charge for one.

But it would be even more expensive to buy them from the UK company.....
swimfeeders
Chatterbox
Shropshire
swimfeeders is male  swimfeeders has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

22-02-2020, 11:12 PM

Originally Posted by Bread ->
Hi

My reasons for leaving the EU were because of my wish to avoid further Integration, they were not Financial.

There are certain Industries which are classed as Strategic.

They are allowed to be protected, we choose not to.

That is why we are losing our Steel industry.

Trump is protecting his.

As regards costs, we have a very stupid definition of them.

We are unique in this.

Other Countries factor in the cost of job losses and the Benefits payable.

This gives a very different picture.

They also factor in a profit margin for the Companies concerned to provide them the working Capital to invest in Training and New Technology.

This allows them to get ahead of us in the Productivity Stakes.
JBR
Chatterbox
Cheshire, UK
JBR is male  JBR has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

22-02-2020, 11:40 PM

Too right we are but the real joke is that in the EU we never had to change to burgundy. It was just a decision made by our Government. Croatia still has navy. the new ones won't be the old style cardboard but just a different colour. These things are important apparently in making us feel we have regained control even though we could have had navy all along....
What is it about the colour?

I couldn't care less if they are pink. (Well, actually, I think I might buy some sort of cover for it.)

The two important matters are firstly that it does not imply that we are still a member of the EU, by placing their name at the top of the front cover, and secondly that it should be produced in this country even if that is a little more expensive to do (though I can't think why it should be).
Bread
Chatterbox
Sudbury, United Kingdom

22-02-2020, 11:42 PM

Hi

My reasons for leaving the EU were because of my wish to avoid further Integration, they were not Financial.

Trump is protecting his.

We are unique in this.

They also factor in a profit margin for the Companies concerned to provide them the working Capital to invest in Training and New Technology.

What are you on about ?
JBR
Chatterbox
Cheshire, UK
JBR is male  JBR has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

22-02-2020, 11:45 PM

Wrong again annie

We get to make all our own decisions take control of our laws and make our own trade arrangements with the world.

The EU is a protectionist bloc it does not support globalisation at all. That's part of the reason we left.

And we have full employment in tbe UK the EU does not have anywhere near that.

If I were you I would work out what globalisation and protectionism is... just saying
And in addition, we will no longer have to pay billions to Brussels for making laws under which we are obliged to live. The money which presently goes to improving the poorer European countries also contributes to the high-life enjoyed by the EU mandarins. It would benefit us more than them.
AnnieS
Chatterbox
United Kingdom
AnnieS is female  AnnieS has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

22-02-2020, 11:52 PM

Hi

Trump is protecting his.

We are unique in this.

The bottom line is the bottom line. Our hands were and are tied. You can do fancy costing models but the facts are unchanged. We do not have a system that looks at the value chain with any seriousness. If you have a gap in the service such as the blue passport nonsense then they have to find someone who will agree to do the work whatever the cost. This will be the next few years - fire fighting and paying through the nose. That's what happens when you sacrifice stability for revolution. Opportunists will be lining up and laughing all the way to the bank.
Bread
Chatterbox
Sudbury, United Kingdom

22-02-2020, 11:55 PM

The bottom line is the bottom line. Our hands were and are tied. You can do fancy costing models but the facts are unchanged. We do not have a system that looks at the value chain with any seriousness. If you have a gap in the service such as the blue passport nonsense then they have to find someone who will agree to do the work whatever the cost. This will be the next few years - fire fighting and paying through the nose. That's what happens when you sacrifice stability for revolution. Opportunists will be lining up and laughing all the way to the bank.

But everyone needs to renew their passport at some point, you don't need to do it now. What's the problem if you don't like the colour then put it in a wallet.
AnnieS
Chatterbox
United Kingdom
AnnieS is female  AnnieS has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-02-2020, 12:00 AM

Originally Posted by JBR ->
What is it about the colour?

I couldn't care less if they are pink. (Well, actually, I think I might buy some sort of cover for it.)

The two important matters are firstly that it does not imply that we are still a member of the EU, by placing their name at the top of the front cover, and secondly that it should be produced in this country even if that is a little more expensive to do (though I can't think why it should be).
I have no idea why the colour of a blinking document is so important but it is to some. It matters not to me what a piece of paper says. As long as I can get from A to B legally. I couldn't give a monkeys where it's produced as long as it gets me from A to B. I would object to higher costs. Why should we pay more?
AnnieS
Chatterbox
United Kingdom

23-02-2020, 12:02 AM

Why would anyone want to buy anything from a more expensive source?

Page 4 of 12 « First < 2 3 4 5 6 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top