Join for free
The Dog Lover
Watford
The Dog Lover is female  The Dog Lover has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

25-02-2013, 05:57 PM

ATM Fault

Has anyone ever had this happen. I went to Sainsburys yesterday where they have 2 ATMs (their own ones). I needed some cash so decided to get it before going into the store. I put my card in, entered my PIN and a message came up on the screen saying they couldn't give me the cash because I had a nil balance. I had plenty in my account and had been onto my internet banking only the day before. I tried the other machine and the same thing happened. I am now really worried that I have been a victim of ID theft

Anyway I went into the store to do my shopping as I had my credit card with me as well if all else failed. At the checkout I explained the problem to the girl there but my debit card worked perfectly so I got my cash that way.

Of course I've had lots of times where the ATM is out of cash or has a fault but I've never before been incorrectly told that I have a nil balance when I know there is money there. It was all a bit stressful.
mesco m
manchester
mesco m is female  mesco m has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

25-02-2013, 06:02 PM

Re: ATM Fault

Not had it happen to me but I can understand that you would be worried.
Patsy
Chatterbox
UK
Patsy is female  Patsy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

25-02-2013, 06:14 PM

Can understand your worry there....have you re-checked your balance...
The Dog Lover
Watford
The Dog Lover is female  The Dog Lover has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

25-02-2013, 06:16 PM

Thanks Mall and Pats and yes my balance is as it should be.
Patsy
Chatterbox
UK
Patsy is female  Patsy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

25-02-2013, 06:30 PM

Phew good....its a sickening feeling, now you can relax...
orangutan
Chatterbox
Another world
orangutan is female  orangutan has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

25-02-2013, 11:23 PM

I would keep an eye on your account in case your card has been cloned. Hopefully not, but at least if you notice any duff transactions early you can alert the bank.
The Dog Lover
Watford

26-02-2013, 11:34 AM

Well its not alright after all. I went onto my internet banking this morning and £1000 has been debited from Tesco Credit Cards I have never had a Tesco credit card in my life and don't even shop there because I don't like my local store. So I got onto the bank who say that another attempt was made by them for £4000 which was not accepted. It has now gone throught the fraud department and they have cancelled my card and credited the £1000 back into my account. A new card has been ordered and I should receive it in a few days.

Its a real pain because I am up in Norfolk next week so if it doesn't come before I go I will have to use my credit card. Meanwhile its off to the bank later to get some cash grrr !

I wish I knew how these things happen. I shop on line with reputable companies who I have used for years and I am really careful at the ATMs. I live on my own and my card has never been out of my possession. Oh well such is life.
Patsy
Chatterbox
UK

26-02-2013, 11:46 AM

If it happened while at the ATM - there may have been a hidden camera...
I feel anger and sympathy for you - can only hope it gets sorted very quickly Val....x
The Dog Lover
Watford

26-02-2013, 11:58 AM

Originally Posted by Pats CG ->
If it happened while at the ATM - there may have been a hidden camera...
I feel anger and sympathy for you - can only hope it gets sorted very quickly Val....x
I am going to avoid those particular ATMs although I can't see why a camera at a Sainsburys ATM should result in me being debited by Tesco Credit Cards as they are competitors. Its all very odd and the bank can tell that the card details have been used without the actual card being physically used if you see what I mean.
Patsy
Chatterbox
UK

26-02-2013, 12:18 PM

Its a new one on me - maybe the bank can sort it for the future - as you say just be extra vigilant now....

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top