Join for free
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Willow
UK
Willow is female 

26-02-2013, 10:20 AM

Do you regret the names you gave your children?

Our daughters have French first names which were carefully chosen and liked by us. Their second names are English family names and their last name, my maiden name. The latter I suspect they wish they had done without as it is French and the pronunciation isn't immediately obvious. If we had given that more thought we might not have saddled them with it.

I was very fond of maternal grandmother and would have given our baby daughter her name as a second one if her name had been reasonable, but it was awful, she hated it too. I liked her late mother-in-law's first name so our girl got that as a second name. When I informed Grandma, thinking she would be pleased, it turned out she couldn't stand her mother-in-law. WHOOPS!
Aerolor
Chatterbox
UK
Aerolor is female  Aerolor has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

26-02-2013, 11:02 AM

Re: Do you regret the names you gave your children?

No - no regrets at all. Daughter has both my mother's and my second name and my son's name is derived from my husband's first name with my dad's name as his middle name. The grandchildren's names are fine as well and. I think our soon to be 4th grandchild is going to be OK with his name. No odd names, or particularly trendy ones, although sometimes we don't always like the names our parents give us.
mesco m
manchester
mesco m is female  mesco m has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

26-02-2013, 11:33 AM

Mine have an individual first name, chosen from a few selected before their birth but only named after their birth.
Middle names were chosen from family names, that are also the name of Saints. Surname is Scottish. None have complained about their names, so I suspect they are content with their parents choice. The surnames of the girls have changed by marriage. I am also quite happy with all the names chosen for my grandchildren, no silly grandiose names, thankfully.
Brandykins
Fondly Remembered
near Glasgow Scotland
Brandykins is female  Brandykins has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

26-02-2013, 11:33 AM

Never having any children (my choice and reason I wouldn't get married) I wouldn't know but I think had I had a son I would have named him after my big brother, or after my Dad, a daughter I would have called after my Mum but not her middle name, which my Dad put down on my birth certificate, which I hate! It was my Mum's confirmation name - even my Mum (she told me) was furious with Dad for putting it on my BC! I was named after my Mum (Rose) and my Dad's youngest sister (Mary)!

Interesting post
Bruce
Chatterbox
Wollongong, Australia
Bruce is male  Bruce has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

26-02-2013, 12:02 PM

No I don't mind my kids names at all but they were a constant battle with my now ex wife who wanted to name every kid after her brother. It was only afterwards that I realised that I was the one who registered the births and could have named them anything I like. Doh!
Willow
UK
Willow is female 

26-02-2013, 02:34 PM

Whilst our grandchildren's first names are not run of the mill they are not outlandish either, thank goodness.
Janela
Fondly Remembered
Essex UK
Janela is female  Janela has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

26-02-2013, 04:38 PM

No regrets for us either.
My maiden name is my sons name, his middle name is hubbys first name.
Our daughter is named after a great grandparent, her middle name we chose to go with it.
Our grandchildren all have family names ... don't know if it was intended, but none are outrageous. My great, great grandmother's sister was Valoria, I quite like it but no one chose it.
spinner
yorkshire
spinner is female  spinner has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

26-02-2013, 05:18 PM

I wanted to call my son a name that couldn't be shortened. But it didn't work.
I called him Ian.
He gets called E
Janela
Fondly Remembered
Essex UK
Janela is female  Janela has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

26-02-2013, 06:58 PM

Originally Posted by spinner ->
I wanted to call my son a name that couldn't be shortened. But it didn't work.
I called him Ian.
He gets called E
Our old friends chose short names too .. Ruth, who gets called Wuff and Mark who is called Markie
Grumblewagon
Aberdeenshire
Grumblewagon is male  Grumblewagon has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

26-02-2013, 07:59 PM

We're happy with the names we chose, though our son uses his middle name because we have the same first initial (different names) and it was sometimes confusing knowing whose mail we received.

The names are fairly 'ordinary' and unique to them - no parents' names or family names and nothing religious. The children were not christened as we are athiests, but a 'naming ceremony' would have been nice.

I would not want any future grandchildren to be named in any way after me or their grandmother. Anyway, I don't like my first name and I wish I had changed it. Oh, and I don't like this trend for diminutive names like 'Jack', 'Ben' etc..

Story .. told by a comedian and supposed to be true.

He was sitting in a bar and two women were chatting nearby.. the conversation went -

"So and so's had her baby. It's a boy and they're calling him Mark, but spelled with a 'c' " (as in Marc).

Her friend looked puzzled - "You mean 'Cark' ?".

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top