Join for free
Page 5 of 11 « First < 3 4 5 6 7 > Last »
Emjay
Chatterbox
London UK
Emjay is male  Emjay has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-02-2017, 07:23 PM

Re: dashcam

I have a Möbius that I use for many situations. Carcam, on my model aircraft as a free camera, and with the electronic mount for FPV.
Also as a spy camera that I used recently to take some video where it was not realy approved.
Here is the test video that I tried as a carcam.
Also the mount for FPV.
https://youtu.be/5E2KIjzSCHk

Attached Thumbnails (Click to enlarge)
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1259.jpg
Views:	76
Size:	33.9 KB
ID:	2642  
Tedc
Berkshire, UK
Tedc is male  Tedc has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

02-03-2017, 12:53 PM

Originally Posted by realspeed ->
One advantage I can see is if an accident is my fault then my dashcam evidence never comes to light. If it is the other drivers fault then it will.
As i said before it is not going to actually cost me very much and if it doen't work out at least I can say I have tried using it.

before i made my decision I set my camcorder on my dash, hand held, and it was really weird with my wife driving, recording a short video of a local road.
Dream on!

At a recent "event" on the M4 the officer spotted a car with a camera, further back.

He took the camera away as evidence after having grabbed it fairly quickly to stop it "recording over".

I think this might be common practice.
Tedc
Berkshire, UK
Tedc is male  Tedc has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

02-03-2017, 01:02 PM

Those with Dash Cameras may want to check that their date & Time remains correct as the clock goes forward or back.

Be a bit embarrassing if you evidence in court was an hour out?

Also, beware of shouting rude words at idiot motorists.

If the camera records sound you may have to hear these words played back in court!

JBR
Chatterbox
Cheshire, UK
JBR is male  JBR has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

02-03-2017, 01:46 PM

Originally Posted by Tedc ->
Dream on!

At a recent "event" on the M4 the officer spotted a car with a camera, further back.

He took the camera away as evidence after having grabbed it fairly quickly to stop it "recording over".

I think this might be common practice.
Interesting that they can do that.

I may have mentioned before that a police van which I was driving next to pulled me over and took me to task for 'undertaking'.

I was not doing any such thing; I had just joined the main road from a slip road and was no more than keeping pace with the coppers who were in the middle lane.

The police van began to pull in to the inside lane, causing me to brake. He obviously hadn't seen me. He then put on the blue lights and pulled me in.

After reading the riot act, he noticed my dashcam. He seemed to lose interest then for some reason and told me to go on my way.

I forgot to tell him that I hadn't turned the thing on!
Realist
Chatterbox
UK
Realist is male  Realist has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-03-2017, 11:32 PM

Had my Mobius for a few weeks now. Works a treat. So small and handy, portable and unassuming, yet records HD quality effortlessly.

Haven't hard wired it at this stage. I just slip it under the sun visor every time I go anywhere and then pop it in my pocket when I leave which is handy as I can then use it to take pictures when I am out and about or video.

Brilliant little device.
Emjay
Chatterbox
London UK
Emjay is male  Emjay has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-03-2017, 08:39 AM

Originally Posted by Realist ->
Had my Mobius for a few weeks now. Works a treat. So small and handy, portable and unassuming, yet records HD quality effortlessly.

Haven't hard wired it at this stage. I just slip it under the sun visor every time I go anywhere and then pop it in my pocket when I leave which is handy as I can then use it to take pictures when I am out and about or video.

Brilliant little device.
Yes I did tell you so.
Tedc
Berkshire, UK

04-03-2017, 01:36 PM

I'm on my third camera now. It's a Nextbase (from Costco).

Sadly it only looks forward whereas the last one I had provided a forward looking camera AND a rear looking camera.

Guess what? Bumps up the rear are possibly more important than forward knocks.

You really do have to see the car running into you from behind - but you running into someone else might show as your fault.

Anyway, this one looks forward and records all the really important stuff there:- i.e. the stuff required for court cases (Date,Time ,Speed, Sound?, and Number plates at good distance).

It can also record when you are parked up at the shopping mall.
Realist
Chatterbox
UK
Realist is male  Realist has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-03-2017, 04:48 PM

I'm on my third camera now. It's a Nextbase (from Costco).
Not surprised to hear that TBH. I understand the batteries in them die after about a year which is to be expected if they are run constantly plugged into the cigarette lighter whilst recording. A dash cam should either be run straight off the batteries, or have the batteries switched out for capacitors.

Guess what? Bumps up the rear are possibly more important than forward knocks.
Whilst that is true, it's very hard for a person who rear ends you to mount any defence. You don't really need footage of it. If they have run into the back of your car then they were driving to close, too fast or without due care and attention. Even if you do an emergency stop.

It can also record when you are parked up at the shopping mall.
Just my opinion but I think it would be stupid to leave a NextBase dashcam in your car when you are parked up and not there. It will just get nicked as quickly as a Sat Nav unit would. That's why imo, these large dashcams are a bit flawed. Too big to lug around in your pocket everywhere and too valuable to leave in the car.
Tedc
Berkshire, UK

07-03-2017, 05:08 PM

Originally Posted by Judd ->
To be fair, the two dashcams I have haven't got long battery lives - they last about 3 mins. after they've been unplugged from the cigar lighter/accessory socket so aren't much cop for independent filming.

Also, If you then walk round filming the other players, in an accident, you must run a big risk of overwriting the crash?
Realist
Chatterbox
UK

15-03-2017, 02:48 PM

Well well well !

Who'd have thought. I just invested in 2 Mobius Action Cameras as highlighted in this thread and a few weeks later, just this week, I get a white van cutting right in front of me across the exit lanes on a roundabout causing me to pull up short, which I did without any problem. Unfortunately, the car behind me, driven by an unfortunate and very typical young lad aged 19 to 21 wasn't paying attention and/or was driving too close and rear shunted me. I have the incident from the front on my dashcam showing the white van's dangerous driving and number plate and as I bought 2 of these tiny matchbox sized cameras I was able to immediate get out and use the other one to video the driver that shunted me, all teh damage to his car and my own.

No chance he can run off and pretend to be someone else or pretend later that someone else was driving.

Insurance company whizzed the whole claim through, and purely on my description of the events have immediately waived my excess and restored no claims discount.

I have to say having a dashcam is a huge confidence boost and worth every penny (and they were only £55 !!!).
I carry them with me everywhere as they are so small and portable so I can quickly capture any other events too.

Page 5 of 11 « First < 3 4 5 6 7 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top