Join for free
Page 13 of 33 « First < 3 11 12 13 14 15 23 > Last »
Solasch
Chatterbox
Netherlands
Solasch is male  Solasch has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-10-2018, 12:06 PM

Re: Is Democracy Dead?

Originally Posted by AnnieS ->
I thought that was Parliament's job. Give people the illusion they have some say and will get what they want and then deliver exactly the opposite. It's what always happens after an election does it not?

Don't forget that Brexit will not fix the above.
In this case, give the people a referendum, and although they vote to leave, stay in the warm bath that is the EU?
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey
Julie1962 is female  Julie1962 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-10-2018, 12:32 PM

I thought that was Parliament's job. Give people the illusion they have some say and will get what they want and then deliver exactly the opposite. It's what always happens after an election does it not?

Don't forget that Brexit will not fix the above.
Brexit is just the beginning of the journey. We need a lot of changes brexit starts them.

I'm hoping by time my kids kids are voting things will be unrecognisable in a good way.
Moscow
Scotland
Moscow is male  Moscow has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-10-2018, 12:43 PM

Originally Posted by Solasch ->
In this case, give the people a referendum, and although they vote to leave, stay in the warm bath that is the EU?
The warm bath lost it's heat a long time since and it's too expensive to keep topping up the bath

Btw , Are you not aware that we had a referendum and Remain lost ,lol!
Moscow
Scotland
Moscow is male  Moscow has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-10-2018, 12:44 PM

It's interesting that you have that view, but it's totally incorrect.
In what sense is it incorrect, bearing in mind you will almost certainly have misunderstood where I'm coming from!
Solasch
Chatterbox
Netherlands
Solasch is male  Solasch has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-10-2018, 01:17 PM

Originally Posted by Moscow ->
The warm bath lost it's heat a long time since and it's too expensive to keep topping up the bath

Btw , Are you not aware that we had a referendum and Remain lost ,lol!
Of course, but AnnieS stated it is your parliaments tradition to deliver the opposite. My post was reacting to her post. Kindly take the time to read a post's history.
Solasch
Chatterbox
Netherlands

21-10-2018, 01:46 PM

In what sense is it incorrect, bearing in mind you will almost certainly have misunderstood where I'm coming from!
Your assumption is: a minority (like the Scots) cannot change its status.

In bulgaria 7.7% is muslim, in belgium 5.2%. In great britain 4,7%. Take into account the differences in size of population, than the largest contingency lives in GB. And there you have a minority that is going to change its status post brexit.
Moscow
Scotland

21-10-2018, 01:57 PM

Your assumption is: a minority (like the Scots) cannot change its status.

In bulgaria 7.7% is muslim, in belgium 5.2%. In great britain 4,7%. Take into account the differences in size of population, than the largest contingency lives in GB. And there you have a minority that is going to change its status post brexit.
No, you misunderstand.

A Scot is a Scot and always will be. It's immutable.
A person's sexuality is immutable.

Political opinion is fluid, changeable and therefore a political viewpoint can not be considered a minority in the sense you origimnally referred to and so therefore political opinion does not need protecting.
Moscow
Scotland

21-10-2018, 02:06 PM

Of course, but AnnieS stated it is your parliaments tradition to deliver the opposite. My post was reacting to her post. Kindly take the time to read a post's history.
Kindly don't patronise .Your whole attitude on this forum is one of smugly thinking your stating the ' bleedin obvious' when all you are really doing is showing utter contempt to the British electorate for voting Leave.

I'm guessing you are a Dutch national and I'm guessing that what's really happening is that you can't actually imagine what it must be like to be British and not feel that it is possible to exist outwith the EU.
The Netherlands couldn't.
The UK can.

It'sdifferent being British. I understand why you find that threatening.
Solasch
Chatterbox
Netherlands

21-10-2018, 02:17 PM

No, you misunderstand.

A Scot is a Scot and always will be. It's immutable.
A person's sexuality is immutable.

Political opinion is fluid, changeable and therefore a political viewpoint can not be considered a minority in the sense you origimnally referred to and so therefore political opinion does not need protecting.
I see your point. But then again, there are lots of people that change their religion (to none). Still they are protected in their choice.
Solasch
Chatterbox
Netherlands

21-10-2018, 02:33 PM

Kindly don't patronise .Your whole attitude on this forum is one of smugly thinking your stating the ' bleedin obvious' when all you are really doing is showing utter contempt to the British electorate for voting Leave.

I'm guessing you are a Dutch national and I'm guessing that what's really happening is that you can't actually imagine what it must be like to be British and not feel that it is possible to exist outwith the EU.
The Netherlands couldn't.
The UK can.

It'sdifferent being British. I understand why you find that threatening.
Why contempt? People have been misguided by their leaders before. Our neighbours had their experience with that (leaving the weimar republic in the 1930's). Contempt is not the emotion brexit invokes.

The dutch have been a sea faring trading people for ages. The choice for common safety (Hanze cities mean anything), strong naval forces, was called for by men like Drake. We are more like the brits than you think. Weren't you drawn to the EEC for economic gain?
Therefore the dutch difficulty to understand a choice to leave. It is contrary to what you might expect of a country with your history.

Page 13 of 33 « First < 3 11 12 13 14 15 23 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top