Join for free
Page 5 of 33 « First < 3 4 5 6 7 15 > Last »
Fogey
Shropshire
Fogey is male  Fogey has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

18-10-2018, 08:33 PM

Re: Is Democracy Dead?

Originally Posted by Solasch ->
In short, brexit was the wrong choice from the beginning. Now for damage control.
Whether the choice was right or wrong has no relevance here.

We chose to leave and yet the political elite are trying to undermine the will of the people.

Cameron said leave means leave and that's exactly what I voted for. I didn't vote for May's interpretation of leaving, I didn't vote for in, out, shake it all about.

The very fact that current British Mp's and political has-beens have been scurrying to Europe to plead their cause to undermine the result of the referendum makes my blood boil.

How dare they!!
Solasch
Chatterbox
Netherlands
Solasch is male  Solasch has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

18-10-2018, 08:50 PM

Meaning you chose for a hard brexit. But did you realise what the consequences would be, e.g. for a united kingdom that is not fully united geographically. Otherwise it was a jump into the dark.
Purwell
Chatterbox
North Herts, England
Purwell is male  Purwell has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

18-10-2018, 09:10 PM

It's very tempting to tell people to stew in their own juice but the trouble is I'm in the same pot with them!
AnnieS
Chatterbox
United Kingdom
AnnieS is female  AnnieS has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

18-10-2018, 09:29 PM

How can you say it was a democratic vote when there was absolutely no indication of how we would get from EU membership to non membership?

Michael Caine was on breakfast tv today and was asked his views on Brexit. He said he was pro-leave and that the way we should approach it by a tit-for-tat war with the EU.... Everyone has an opinion on how to leave.
Solasch
Chatterbox
Netherlands
Solasch is male  Solasch has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

18-10-2018, 09:33 PM

Originally Posted by Purwell ->
It's very tempting to tell people to stew in their own juice but the trouble is I'm in the same pot with them!
No worries. Somehow I have the feeling that the EU and UK will find a way to reverse the article 50 procedure. Because there is no provision for that option, it has been interpreted that reversal is not possible. Given the political will on both sides, the prevailing interpretation will be that reversal is possible because article 50 doesn't say it's impossible.

Perhaps a second advisory referendum is needed for mrs May to be backed up by the wish of the people. But somehow I see that coming too.
Fogey
Shropshire
Fogey is male  Fogey has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

18-10-2018, 09:33 PM

Meaning you chose for a hard brexit. But did you realise what the consequences would be, e.g. for a united kingdom that is not fully united geographically. Otherwise it was a jump into the dark.
I knew full well there would be repercussions but I also knew those repercussions would be transitory, easily remedied through mutual agreement.

Better that than being a state in a European federation. If you take that scenario to the nth degree, you might just as well abandon Parliament and let the local councils carry out the behest of Brussels.

And if you think I'm being melodramatic, consider the behaviour of the EU throughout these negotiations - the threats, bullying, the unbelievable arrogance.

The sooner we are out from under the thumb of the EU the better, in my view.

Finally, I have no problem with Europe - I have a problem with the European Union.
AnnieS
Chatterbox
United Kingdom
AnnieS is female  AnnieS has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

18-10-2018, 09:34 PM

Originally Posted by Purwell ->
Going back over old ground here, but nobody has yet come up with a positive reason for leaving the EU.
They just waffle on about "taking back control and sovereignty etc.".
When we start paying through the nose for our food they will take solace in the fact that they are in control.
That's because there are no positive reasons. I am not some big super-fan of the EU. I just knew leaving would end up with us being in a mess. But I didn't expect quite as big a mess as it's turning out to be.
Fogey
Shropshire

18-10-2018, 09:40 PM

Can somebody give me the crystal ball so I can see into the future, please.

Paying more for our food? How do you know that for certain? Have you the gift of foreseeing the future??

No! I didn't think so. Stop with the scaremongering FGS.
Moscow
Scotland
Moscow is male  Moscow has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

18-10-2018, 09:42 PM

No worries. Somehow I have the feeling that the EU and UK will find a way to reverse the article 50 procedure. Because there is no provision for that option, it has been interpreted that reversal is not possible. Given the political will on both sides, the prevailing interpretation will be that reversal is possible because article 50 doesn't say it's impossible.

Perhaps a second advisory referendum is needed for mrs May to be backed up by the wish of the people. But somehow I see that coming too.
You're spending a lot of time on this forum trying to control the narrative, solasch.

Unfortunately for you the narrative is set in stone and time is against your campaign.

Brexit is coming.

There is nothing you can do about it and a second referendum, in whatever guise you try to dress it in has been roundly rejected by the Gov't and is roundly rejected by the citizenry.

Good effort tho'
Purwell
Chatterbox
North Herts, England
Purwell is male  Purwell has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

18-10-2018, 09:43 PM

Originally Posted by Fogey ->
Can somebody give me the crystal ball so I can see into the future, please.

Paying more for our food? How do you know that for certain? Have you the gift of foreseeing the future??

No! I didn't think so. Stop with the scaremongering FGS.
Come on then you tell me a positive reason to leave, put your money where your mouth is.

Page 5 of 33 « First < 3 4 5 6 7 15 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top