Join for free
Page 7 of 9 « First < 5 6 7 8 9 >
Lion Queen
Chatterbox
UK
Lion Queen is female  Lion Queen has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-02-2020, 09:06 PM

Re: Ciara

Originally Posted by Judd ->
That's what happened here strangely. Chucked it down and howled since yesterday dinner time, throughout the night, and thunderstorms until about 2PM today. Sun came out although still breezy, and now the thunderstorms, rain and gales are back with a vengeance.
its bad in liversedge, Batley and Heckmondwike, have you seen the pictures our Judd?
Judd
Chatterbox
West Riding of Yorkshire
Judd is male  Judd has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-02-2020, 09:08 PM

This is a village called Mytholmroyd in the Calder Valley between Hebden Bridge and Halifax. After the last severe flooding when the Calder burst its banks causing millions of pounds of damage, a mate and me got the job of sorting out the electrics at the local community/sports centre. What a mess.

After the flooding had receded and most of the damage repaired, the council finally, after much earlier appeals for a barrier, decided to install one in case this "Once in a lifetime" event happened again. The council removed a section of the barrier last week for maintenance. Now see what's happened because of their tardiness.

Photo is copyright.

Attached Thumbnails (Click to enlarge)
Click image for larger version

Name:	Mytholmroyd.jpg
Views:	68
Size:	28.9 KB
ID:	11580  
Judd
Chatterbox
West Riding of Yorkshire
Judd is male  Judd has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-02-2020, 09:10 PM

Originally Posted by Lion Queen ->
its bad in liversedge, Batley and Heckmondwike, have you seen the pictures our Judd?
It's always bad there whether it rains or not.

Seriously though, I haven't seen any pics - will have a look at the Examiner website to see if there are any.

Hope you aren't affected.

ETA.

Some pics from the local paper. The top picture shows a crossing across a stream that is usually a trickle. It serves that stupid driver right for even attempting to cross while the stream is in full spate.

https://www.examinerlive.co.uk/news/...field-17717525
Lion Queen
Chatterbox
UK
Lion Queen is female  Lion Queen has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-02-2020, 09:18 PM

This is a village called Mytholmroyd in the Calder Valley between Hebden Bridge and Halifax. After the last severe flooding when the Calder burst its banks causing millions of pounds of damage, a mate and me got the job of sorting out the electrics at the local community/sports centre. What a mess.

After the flooding had receded and most of the damage repaired, the council finally, after much earlier appeals for a barrier, decided to install one in case this "Once in a lifetime" event happened again. The council removed a section of the barrier last week for maintenance. Now see what's happened because of their tardiness.

Photo is copyright.
Bloody norah, that's bad.

I used to work at Hopton Care Home just under the bridge in Mirfield, under that bridge ALWAYS floods really bad, to get to work I had to go on the one way road at the other side, hoping nothing was coming the other way as it was the only way I could get there. Do you know where I mean?
Judd
Chatterbox
West Riding of Yorkshire

09-02-2020, 09:26 PM

Originally Posted by Lion Queen ->
Bloody norah, that's bad.

I used to work at Hopton Care Home just under the bridge in Mirfield, under that bridge ALWAYS floods really bad, to get to work I had to go on the one way road at the other side, hoping nothing was coming the other way as it was the only way I could get there. Do you know where I mean?
It's flooded again, along with Granny Lane and Gregory Springs. The one at Clough Lane, Fixby is always flooding too as there's a dip in the road to accommodate the M62 crossing over it. The drainage has always been bad and there's some dispute as to which local authority is responsible for keeping the drain clear.
Baz46
Somewhere rural 'out in the sticks', UK
Baz46 is male  Baz46 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-02-2020, 09:29 PM

Originally Posted by AnnieS ->
I thought the electrics were just for the clock/timer and the ignition spark?
I only have a basic knowledge of central heating boilers but I believe electricity is also required for powering the circulation pump. If this is not working it might allow the boiler to overheat, that would then allow the thermal cut-out to operate and stop the boiler from working to prevent damage. I don't have a gas supply at all here, my boiler is oil-fired but from memory I have the same system of a cut-out to prevent overheating – no electricity, no heating.
Judd
Chatterbox
West Riding of Yorkshire

09-02-2020, 09:43 PM

Originally Posted by Baz46 ->
I only have a basic knowledge of central heating boilers but I believe electricity is also required for powering the circulation pump. If this is not working it might allow the boiler to overheat, that would then allow the thermal cut-out to operate and stop the boiler from working to prevent damage. I don't have a gas supply at all here, my boiler is oil-fired but from memory I have the same system of a cut-out to prevent overheating – no electricity, no heating.
I shouldn't be too concerned. Central heating systems won't power up until water is running through the boiler. When the pump runs, a pressure switch operates and turns on the burners.
Baz46
Somewhere rural 'out in the sticks', UK
Baz46 is male  Baz46 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-02-2020, 09:56 PM

I shouldn't be too concerned. Central heating systems won't power up until water is running through the boiler. When the pump runs, a pressure switch operates and turns on the burners.
Thanks for the explanation, all far too complicated for me, other than a rough basic knowledge. I leave it all to a very good central heating engineer. A couple of years' ago he installed a complete new central system which works very well, so especially thankful for that in this recent cold weather.
Silver Tabby
Chatterbox
God's own county!
Silver Tabby is female  Silver Tabby has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-02-2020, 10:06 PM

Ciara has landed here with a vengeance. Storm force winds, pouring rain and now thunder. It is raining so hard and fast that my gutters can't hold it - if I step outside I have a free shower!
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-02-2020, 10:13 PM

Originally Posted by Silver Tabby ->
Ciara has landed here with a vengeance. Storm force winds, pouring rain and now thunder. It is raining so hard and fast that my gutters can't hold it - if I step outside I have a free shower!

Gosh, that sounds pretty grim Tabby.

I think we are over the worst of it here. It is still windy but not seem quite so fierce.

When the rain stopped for a while, thee is the most beautiful full moon. Crystal clear and it looks huge, much bigger than usual.

Page 7 of 9 « First < 5 6 7 8 9 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top