Join for free
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Annie Jack
Ontario, Canada
Annie Jack is female  Annie Jack has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

22-06-2012, 01:36 AM

Jobs that will vanish by 2018

I found this article interesting: 10 middle-class jobs expected to vanish in the next 6 years.

Excerpt: "Dramatic advancements in technology have more than doubled the output per worker since 1970. Our manufacturing industry has progressed from making simple household appliances, cars and textiles to producing cutting-edge medical technologies, life-saving medicines and light-speed computer processors with worldwide demand.

But as any nation's economy moves forward, the demise of older industries and professions causes hardship for many who consider themselves solidly in the middle-class."
Wrinkly
Fondly Remembered
West Yorks.
Wrinkly is male  Wrinkly has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

22-06-2012, 06:45 AM

Re: Jobs that will vanish by 2018

But Sue, many more have been created in the IT businesses.
Way back in the 70's we had machines making themselves, now they have machines assembling them.
It's fine as long as the wealth is shared out a bit, we shall all get more leisure time too.
That's technology for you, brilliant isn't it?
Uncle Joe
Chatterbox
Brighton UK
Uncle Joe is male  Uncle Joe has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

22-06-2012, 08:49 AM

Originally Posted by Wrinkly ->
But Sue, many more have been created in the IT businesses.
Way back in the 70's we had machines making themselves, now they have machines assembling them.
It's fine as long as the wealth is shared out a bit, we shall all get more leisure time too.
That's technology for you, brilliant isn't it?
Strange then Arthur that this present Government (phth, phth, phth) want those of us who are not yet at retiring age to work longer and receive less Pension for doing so.
Alan Cooke
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire, UK
Alan Cooke is male  Alan Cooke has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

22-06-2012, 09:40 AM

I remember years ago reading that the arrival of computers would mean that we all would only have to work 20 hours per week, now I regularly read of people doing unpaid overtime to keep their jobs !
Uncle Joe
Chatterbox
Brighton UK
Uncle Joe is male  Uncle Joe has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

22-06-2012, 09:54 AM

Originally Posted by Alan Cooke ->
I remember years ago reading that the arrival of computers would mean that we all would only have to work 20 hours per week, now I regularly read of people doing unpaid overtime to keep their jobs !
They also said that with the introduction of computers they could do without paper in an office - there never yet has been a paperless office!!!
Annie Jack
Ontario, Canada
Annie Jack is female  Annie Jack has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

22-06-2012, 02:38 PM

Originally Posted by Uncle Joe ->
They also said that with the introduction of computers they could do without paper in an office - there never yet has been a paperless office!!!
Reminds me of a co-worker in the 80s.... she was told to shred boxes and boxes of reference plans as all the info had been scanned and was available on all the office computers. The day came when none of us could boot up for some reason. While IT scrambled to fix things she marched to the back of the building and retrieved documents she'd hidden away, and carried on with her work as in the old days. She never trusted computers.
anniemuldoon
N Cumbria
anniemuldoon is female  anniemuldoon has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

22-06-2012, 04:27 PM

The country is in such a mess that any thing that looks good will do.
Wrinkly
Fondly Remembered
West Yorks.
Wrinkly is male  Wrinkly has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

22-06-2012, 04:33 PM

Back up! Back up!
Yes that is why we have back ups, for the occasion we may get these glitches.
In general IT is very reliable where it is needed to be.
We have had the occasion this week when Nat West had a glitch, in fact I think it is still going on, but these glitches are fairly rare.
Janela
Fondly Remembered
Essex UK
Janela is female  Janela has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

22-06-2012, 09:40 PM

I read about the Nat West 'glitch' it left thousands of customers without access to their money and still won't be fixed until next week!
This afternoon the bank said it will open branches this Sunday as it deals with the ongoing chaos caused by technical problems - the problem supposedly arose after staff tried to install a software update on RBS’s payment processing system, but ended up corrupting it.

When IT fails, it is always in big way..and the little man at the end suffers.
Jonsey
South western France
Jonsey is male 

29-06-2012, 04:56 PM

Originally Posted by Uncle Joe ->
Strange then Arthur that this present Government (phth, phth, phth) want those of us who are not yet at retiring age to work longer and receive less Pension for doing so.
Uncle Joe,

You know full well why the governent want to extend your working life.

We are an aging society, there is a smaller work force these days, for many reasons other than recession. We are living longer, at sixty five people these days consider themselves to be middle aged, not on deaths door.

If you want to benefit from being looked after when you are older I don't think working an extra year or so is going to kill you, indeed, many worked after retirement age, I did, not because I HAD to but simply because I WANTED to.

And these teachers / medical people/ that are striking will still be getting ten times more pension than the average working man, lets be a little realistic here-- I am told teaching / nursing / most "vocational" jobs are traumatic and the pressure is intense upon them, I suppose driving a ruddy great bus through the town centre is doddle, and that traffic wardens live a stresss free existance .

Come on lets get real, those "vocational" lot are well paid for doing the job they do, and their retirement package will still far better than the average ex working mans/womans pension, PLUS they will still still be getting state handouts.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top