Join for free
Page 7 of 20 « First < 5 6 7 8 9 17 > Last »
JBR
Chatterbox
Cheshire, UK
JBR is male  JBR has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-09-2018, 07:39 PM

Re: Are you proud to be British?

Originally Posted by deylon ->
My son says the same Nom,he says we are not the influential Countre any more ,other Countries look down on us
I can't deny that, but I feel it is a fairly recent phenomenon thanks almost entirely to our politicians and the way the country is being run, not least the increasing loss of law and order.

I believe this may have begun whilst Mrs May was Home Secretary and, as PM, she seems to have little interest in rectifying the situation!
BoxerBoy
West Sussex UK
BoxerBoy is male  BoxerBoy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-09-2018, 08:11 PM

We have as much right to be proud of our country as does any other nationality. Indeed more so than many. However changes in our lifetime have dramatically altered the cultural and social make up of the land we once knew.

I refer to the astonishing level of immigration that has occurred in our lifetime, particularly large immigration of people whose values and beliefs differ so much from the natives. I believe this has had a significant effect on the national character.

Before the shouts of "racist" begin, just let me say I have no problem with allowing well vetted people from other countries, residence in our country, in sensible numbers. However I believe the massive numbers involved of people from alien cultures in such a short time has significantly changed the national character.

Attend many international sporting events in this country, you would be forgiven for thinking you had travelled abroad such is the overwhelming support for our opponents. I shudder to think of the fifth columnist consequences should we ever enter
military conflict with these countries. We already have to suffer the home grown terrorist threats.

This situation has seriously diluted the feeling of a British nationality as a whole in the country, particularly in areas of large immigration.

Politicians have let us down, and continue to do so.
Gravitas
North England
Gravitas is male  Gravitas has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-09-2018, 08:23 PM

Originally Posted by DWebb ->
If it’s the xenophobic brigade like the Daily Mail, Express, Nigel Farage then no not really

But if it’s the Country that came up with the NHS, the Country that went through the Blitz and the Battle of Britain and saved the World from the Nazi’s then yes, the Country that thinks just about anything can be made better by a nice cuppa and is eternally optimistic about the weather then yes....
It is Daily Mail and Mail on Sunday readers who are the backbone of this great country. We need more like them.
BoxerBoy
West Sussex UK
BoxerBoy is male  BoxerBoy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-09-2018, 08:33 PM

Originally Posted by Gravitas ->
It is Daily Mail and Mail on Sunday readers who are the backbone of this great country. We need more like them.
Oh come on now ! They are comics, full of lies, exaggerations and women's tits........ not to be taken seriously.
d00d
Chatterbox
London, UK
d00d is male  d00d has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-09-2018, 09:10 PM

I'm in Portugal at the moment ... feeling proud! They tell me they want brexit too, so I'm feeling kinda chuffed even though it's got nothing do with me, I never voted for it. but I daren't admit it ...
Besoeker
Chatterbox
Doncaster, UK
Besoeker is male  Besoeker has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-09-2018, 09:11 PM

Originally Posted by basser ->
Just a short list of why I am proud to be English.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_o...nd_discoveries

I could add lots more if required.
No dispute with that at all.
My point about the Scots was the prodigious contribution from such a small nation.Things in common use today albeit much developed and refined.
JBR
Chatterbox
Cheshire, UK
JBR is male  JBR has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-09-2018, 09:11 PM

Originally Posted by BoxerBoy ->
We have as much right to be proud of our country as does any other nationality. Indeed more so than many. However changes in our lifetime have dramatically altered the cultural and social make up of the land we once knew.

I refer to the astonishing level of immigration that has occurred in our lifetime, particularly large immigration of people whose values and beliefs differ so much from the natives. I believe this has had a significant effect on the national character.

Before the shouts of "racist" begin, just let me say I have no problem with allowing well vetted people from other countries, residence in our country, in sensible numbers. However I believe the massive numbers involved of people from alien cultures in such a short time has significantly changed the national character.

Attend many international sporting events in this country, you would be forgiven for thinking you had travelled abroad such is the overwhelming support for our opponents. I shudder to think of the fifth columnist consequences should we ever enter
military conflict with these countries. We already have to suffer the home grown terrorist threats.

This situation has seriously diluted the feeling of a British nationality as a whole in the country, particularly in areas of large immigration.

Politicians have let us down, and continue to do so.
Yes, there's no denying that.

Unfortunately, many people who live in nice rural areas that are unaffected seem to be blissfully unaware of the problem and are very ready to criticise us for being racist.
JBR
Chatterbox
Cheshire, UK

23-09-2018, 09:13 PM

Originally Posted by BoxerBoy ->
Oh come on now ! They are comics, full of lies, exaggerations and women's tits........ not to be taken seriously.
Don't be ridiculous. You're thinking of the 'red tops' that Joe likes to read!
d00d
Chatterbox
London, UK
d00d is male  d00d has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-09-2018, 09:15 PM

Originally Posted by boxerboy ->
oh come on now ! They are comics, full of lies, exaggerations and women's tits........ Not to be taken seriously.
spitfire
Chatterbox
Warwickshire
spitfire is male  spitfire has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-09-2018, 09:19 PM

Well, everyone wants to come here, thanks to Global Warming, we now have the weather also.

Page 7 of 20 « First < 5 6 7 8 9 17 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top