Join for free
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Nom
Chatterbox
Northumberland
Nom is male  Nom has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-08-2015, 06:30 AM

Playing Out

Were you allowed to play out when you were young.? Did you allow your kids the same freedom as you had. ?

Our favourite pastime was building camps in woods, eating wildfood, making bows and spears we enjoyed plenty of freedom.
Asian Butterfly
Malaysia
Asian Butterfly is female  Asian Butterfly has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-08-2015, 06:37 AM

Re: Playing Out

Kite flying, tree climbing and fishing too
susiejaeger
Chatterbox
Essex, UK
susiejaeger is female  susiejaeger has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-08-2015, 07:28 AM

Yes at 8 years old, I was playing Rounders around the Square with my friends, and I also used to play in the front garden with friends and go-karting down the pavement.
Alan Cooke
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire, UK
Alan Cooke is male  Alan Cooke has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-08-2015, 07:32 AM

I learned to swim in a local pond (In Garibaldi wood Barry) which was full of wildlife- newts, frogs, sticklebacks, redbreasts and small creatures and no harm came to me.
Grumblewagon
Aberdeenshire
Grumblewagon is male  Grumblewagon has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-08-2015, 07:40 AM

Rock pooling, catching crabs, sea bathing, playing footie in the street - all those sort of things. We were allowed to be children in those days.
Nom
Chatterbox
Northumberland
Nom is male  Nom has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-08-2015, 07:40 AM

I learned to swim in the River Tyne as did most of my mates, no lessons just started with the dog paddle.

Most of my sons activities were more organised, Beavers / Cubs Football training etc though we did allow him to go with his friends to a local sports field. We used to walk a couple of miles just to play.
Silver Tabby
Chatterbox
God's own county!
Silver Tabby is female  Silver Tabby has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-08-2015, 07:46 AM

We were certainly not allowed to play in the streets - but I remember walking miles along the riverside and going to parks - sometimes with my brother but mostly alone. I started school at 4yrs and was only taken/collected on the first day - after that I went by myself - it was only a mile away.

Summer holidays were spent with grandparents - alternately years in Dundalk and Skegness. Maternal grandparents were stricter with regard to time keeping and knowing where I was going but they also organised lots of fun trips out. Paternal granddad was of the opinion that holidays were meant to be enjoyed and as long as I was back before dark I could go wherever I pleased and just have fun.

From being 5yrs old I used to cross to Eire alone - would be taken to Liverpool and put onto the boat in care of a steward/stewardess then grandpa would meet me in Dublin - or - going to Skegness I would be put onto a train in care of the guard and granddad would meet me at Lincoln.

Then I took it for granted that that was how things happened and enjoyed the adventure. Looking back - my blood runs cold when I think of all that could have gone wrong.

Would I allow any of mine to do that - no way !
susan m
DORSET UK
susan m is female  susan m has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-08-2015, 08:00 AM

Oh yes , mum didn't want us all under her feet , we were always out , took bread and jam if we remembered . Don't think she knew where we were but she never worried as long as we came back . Often went with my two older brothers and did all they did , climbed trees , swang on ropes , they often shouted at me though.

When I was 14 loved going to the Wednesday night diso, was in love with the drummer of the band , he had a car and said he would take me home , normally I caught the 10pm bus home . That night I got home about 10.45pm dad came rushing out banging on the car window like a maniac , sent me indoors embarrassing me so much and then grounded me for a month . A lifetime to me. I'd done nothing wrong either except be late .
Jazzi
Chatterbox
Lowestoft
Jazzi is female  Jazzi has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-08-2015, 08:15 AM

My childhood home was in a row of 6, off the main road, facing another another row of 6, with a huge green in the middle. As all the households had kids, we were ALL out there. Or going to two local parks. And I used to go to the forbidden area close to my senior school where naughty men lurked. It had a lovely long path on a hill that was ideal for testing out home made karts (a long boarded construction, usually steered with rope).

Eeeee, such fun.
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey
Julie1962 is female  Julie1962 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-08-2015, 08:20 AM

We were allowed to play in the garden and when old enough to walk to the end of the road and play on the green and the swings etc, now Grace is allowed to play in the communal grounds but the swings and park are out of bounds without an adult.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top