Join for free
Page 4 of 12 « First < 2 3 4 5 6 > Last »
Zaphod
Lincs UK
Zaphod is male  Zaphod has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

28-12-2020, 01:29 PM

Re: Sky News ...

Originally Posted by JBR ->
Reminds me of when Marge and I visited a Portuguese lady friend of ours when on the Continent.
She introduced us to her 'fish and chips' (without the chips) which, I think, may have been herrings.
It is their custom to eat the fish, head, tail and all.
I was quite hesitant at first but...

well, I survived.
One of my earliest memories is of pointing to a fish in a tank in (IIRC) Lisbon which was then doomed to the fate of appearing on my plate as you say, cooked and complete with head.

My mum used to love sole - Lemon Sole and Dover Sole.
Mind you, she loved the fresh brown trout that I caught too.

We have a van which sells fish doing a weekly round here, but we are quite near to Grimsby.
Being honest though, over the years I've grown accustomed to not eating the stuff other than the likes of cod & haddock or smoked haddock because even decent kippers are so extortionately priced when you can even find them that I'd rather buy & cook alternatives.

I used to like crab more than lobster, though I like both but the same applies; they aren't easy to find and buy any more.
Our last local fishmonger closed years ago and - like meat - I don't find supermarkets to be a realistic alternative.

It will be interesting to see if there is a revival in our consumption of fish; a return to what used to be far more commonly seen in our diet than it is now.
Fish is in many cases a healthier alternative too, so the opportunity is there.
JBR
Chatterbox
Cheshire, UK
JBR is male  JBR has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

28-12-2020, 03:01 PM

Originally Posted by Zaphod ->
One of my earliest memories is of pointing to a fish in a tank in (IIRC) Lisbon which was then doomed to the fate of appearing on my plate as you say, cooked and complete with head.

My mum used to love sole - Lemon Sole and Dover Sole.
Mind you, she loved the fresh brown trout that I caught too.

We have a van which sells fish doing a weekly round here, but we are quite near to Grimsby.
Being honest though, over the years I've grown accustomed to not eating the stuff other than the likes of cod & haddock or smoked haddock because even decent kippers are so extortionately priced when you can even find them that I'd rather buy & cook alternatives.

I used to like crab more than lobster, though I like both but the same applies; they aren't easy to find and buy any more.
Our last local fishmonger closed years ago and - like meat - I don't find supermarkets to be a realistic alternative.

It will be interesting to see if there is a revival in our consumption of fish; a return to what used to be far more commonly seen in our diet than it is now.
Fish is in many cases a healthier alternative too, so the opportunity is there.
I much prefer fish to meat, generally speaking. I, too, look forward to more availability of fresh fish.
Now that we're legally allowed to catch more from our own waters, logically they should become more easy to find and possibly even cheaper too.
Tedc
Berkshire, UK
Tedc is male  Tedc has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

28-12-2020, 04:10 PM

I much prefer fish to meat, generally speaking. I, too, look forward to more availability of fresh fish.
Now that we're legally allowed to catch more from our own waters, logically they should become more easy to find and possibly even cheaper too.
JBR,

Whilst you were talking, an image of a large battered cod appeared in my mind.

It was in a paper bag, with chips, and loads of vinegar poured over it.

The batter was the proper, old fashioned batter, no much of it around, these days.

Mushy peas on top - oh dear oh dear.

Sorry to intertupt!
Zaphod
Lincs UK
Zaphod is male  Zaphod has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

28-12-2020, 04:19 PM

Originally Posted by Tedc ->
JBR,

The batter was the proper, old fashioned batter, no much of it around, these days.

Sorry to intertupt!
Tedc, you've made my mouth water!

As I said earlier, it will be interesting to see whether or not Britain increases its' fishing fleet and whether that in turn helps to change eating habits.
JBR
Chatterbox
Cheshire, UK
JBR is male  JBR has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

28-12-2020, 04:57 PM

Originally Posted by Tedc ->
JBR,

Sorry to intertupt!
Yes, we are lucky to have a traditional fish & chip shop about 5 minutes' walk from us, though they are a little expensive.
For that reason, and the inclusion of quite large portions, Marge and I (being Yorkies) usually get two fish and one lot of chips to share!
JBR
Chatterbox
Cheshire, UK

28-12-2020, 04:58 PM

As I said earlier, it will be interesting to see whether or not Britain increases its' fishing fleet and whether that in turn helps to change eating habits.
I do hope so on both counts.
Bread
Chatterbox
Sudbury, United Kingdom
Bread is male  Bread has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

28-12-2020, 05:26 PM

New trawlers are being launched regularly. I know of about 4 in the last 3 months. Not earth shattering but definately progress.

John Redwood could well be raising the subject of banning super trawlers and pulse beam trawlers in the commons on Wednesday.... let's see ... that would be a game changer
JBR
Chatterbox
Cheshire, UK

28-12-2020, 05:42 PM

Originally Posted by Bread ->
New trawlers are being launched regularly. I know of about 4 in the last 3 months. Not earth shattering but definately progress.

John Redwood could well be raising the subject of banning super trawlers and pulse beam trawlers in the commons on Wednesday.... let's see ... that would be a game changer
Good. They are the ones purposely destroying our fishing resources. They must be stopped before it's too late.
Bread
Chatterbox
Sudbury, United Kingdom
Bread is male  Bread has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

28-12-2020, 07:51 PM

Good. They are the ones purposely destroying our fishing resources. They must be stopped before it's too late.

They are uk trawlers from whitby and Hull mainly plus a few crabbers.

Tomorrow I'm fishing Jaywick with my friend where we have fished many times before. This time it will be different though it will be the last time I'll be chucking baits out being bound by the CFP.

Next time it will be as a fishermen who is part of an independent, sovereign coastal nation and fishing according to UK laws not someone else's.
JBR
Chatterbox
Cheshire, UK

28-12-2020, 09:05 PM

John Redwood could well be raising the subject of banning super trawlers and pulse beam trawlers in the commons on Wednesday
They are uk trawlers from whitby and Hull mainly plus a few crabbers.
?????

Page 4 of 12 « First < 2 3 4 5 6 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top