Join for free
Wrinkly
Fondly Remembered
West Yorks.
Wrinkly is male  Wrinkly has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

01-11-2012, 10:30 AM

Shared Space ???

Coventry have gradually over the last twelve months, removed traffic lights and signs from the city centre.
This shared space scheme has been in operation in Holland for a number of years now, with the result traffic moves more smoothly, and it has reduced accidents and more importantly serious injury accidents.
Coventry's last city centre traffic light will go this week, there are no kerb stones, so no one knows where the pavement begins.
It was featured on a programme on the beeb last night, and it does appear to work, although they have had a fatality last week.
It was demonstrated last night by two people walking backwards into the road, without looking and standing talking in the middle of space /road /pavement?
To be honest the whole idea frightens me to death, I am glad I don't drive.
But it does make others aware of whats going on round them, some folks like it, and obviously with anything new they have some folks against it.
How do you fancy driving round your city centre without signals or signs???
http://www.ask.com/wiki/Shared_space
Barry
Chatterbox
North Notts
Barry is male  Barry has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

01-11-2012, 12:04 PM

Re: Shared Space ???

I heard something of this awhile ago, but hadn't realised they had implemented the ideas yet in a major city. It will be interesting to see if it is successful, because the plethora of signs and signals that you have to watch out for these days, particularly in cities, actually makes you somewhat oblivious to what is happening around you. I hope the experiment is successful and that it improves the lot of all road users...
Uncle Joe
Chatterbox
Brighton UK
Uncle Joe is male  Uncle Joe has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

01-11-2012, 01:26 PM

Sounds bloody dangerous to me!!! - without kerbs, makes it even more likely that cyclists will be hurtling along pavements at top speed scattering pedestrians all over the place!!! If I were there, any of these cyclists come too close to me and I'll ram my walking stick straightn through their spokes and bring 'em up short!!!
Wrinkly
Fondly Remembered
West Yorks.
Wrinkly is male  Wrinkly has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

01-11-2012, 03:33 PM

Geoff how can cyclist hurtle along the pavement, when there isn't any pavements.
Janela
Fondly Remembered
Essex UK
Janela is female  Janela has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

01-11-2012, 05:09 PM

Makes you wonder why they started driving on the left, with a white line down the middle of the road and put traffic lights in, in the first place
Uncle Joe
Chatterbox
Brighton UK
Uncle Joe is male  Uncle Joe has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

01-11-2012, 05:19 PM

Originally Posted by Wrinkly ->
Geoff how can cyclist hurtle along the pavement, when there isn't any pavements.
According to your original post Arthur matey, the Council only removed the kerbs, the pavements remain in situ.

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top