Join for free
Page 4 of 4 « First < 2 3 4
OldGreyFox
Chatterbox
South Yorkshire
OldGreyFox is male  OldGreyFox has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

18-05-2020, 09:42 PM

Re: Plastic in the Med

Originally Posted by Muddy ->
South Yorkshire .

Here a job advert for there

LLOP Picker FEATURED
West Field, WF9
£8.72 - 13.08 per hour + OnSite Support From Staffline

Temporary
Staffline

I don’t know how many farm labourers are employed in Yorkshire but I would be interested to know .
It’s mostly sheep farming isn’t it ?
Correct me if I am wrong .

Just found these facts

The average number of people employed on Yorkshire farms is 2.5 . The main agricultural products are meat ,milk and wheat .
All these industries are mechanised .They don’t need loads of employees .
I'm a bit reluctant to answer your post Muddy; It seems to be wandering off topic...
However.....

The advert you posted was a WF9 postcode wich is Wakefield (Pontefract probably) where there is a very large Mushroom growing company and also a major producer of Rhubarb.
Apart from it being unique to the area and most likely to require 'pickers' it is not representative of the majority of farming in South Yorkshire where I live, or indeed West Yorkshire where you mentioned.

There is very little sheep farming in South Yorkshire, it's mainly confined to the moors and dales in North Yorkshire. We have some dairy (lots of cows, sadly diminishing) and being mainly flat we are surrounded by fields of Corn, Barley, Oats, carrots, potatoes, sugar beet, peas, turnips and other root crops. Over the last ten years due to an EU subsidy and directive, most of the fields have been replaced with Maize, Oil Seed and Linseed.

Fields are planted year round and require round constant attention. Ploughing, seeding, spraying and harvesting, so full time farm staff are essential (no seasonal foreign labour) the village where I live is a farming community where the majority of residents used to either work the land or own it. There are still a few stand alone privately owned farms, but most have been bought out and amalgamated into just three or four owners, still local though.

Unfortunately, there are only a few farm workers in the village now which comprises mostly of retirees; ex miners, rockware and pilkington glass ex employees, and International Harvesters retirees; once the largest tractor plant in Europe, sadly closed now, and transferred to Italy, and is now the site of a new housing estate.
Muddy
Chatterbox
UK
Muddy is female  Muddy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-05-2020, 10:02 AM

Thank you for your response OGF .
All those processes you mention can be done by one man on a tractor for most crops .
I also note you say ‘used too ‘ which supports the point I am making .there just aren’t farm labourers in the way there used to be .
There is clearly little opportunity for young people in agriculture in your area .
Muddy
Chatterbox
UK
Muddy is female  Muddy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

22-05-2020, 09:32 AM

I know this thread has digressed but here we have more proof that it seems to be strangely difficult for British people to actually get even seasonal work on farms

https://www.kentonline.co.uk/maidsto...picker-227595/
Donkeyman
Chatterbox
Melton,United Kingdom
Donkeyman is male  Donkeyman has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

22-05-2020, 12:39 PM

I know this thread has digressed but here we have more proof that it seems to be strangely difficult for British people to actually get even seasonal work on farms

Maybe farmers are boycotting British workers Muddy?
We do tend to be full of sh- -e after all!

Donkeyman! 😁😁
OldGreyFox
Chatterbox
South Yorkshire
OldGreyFox is male  OldGreyFox has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

22-05-2020, 08:25 PM

It makes no sense Muddy......
Could it be that they have to pay the minimum wage to British workers and they would probably not be lodged on site, but lodgings etc for foreign workers is deducted out of their pay and the farmer capitalises....

Page 4 of 4 « First < 2 3 4

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top