Join for free
Page 3 of 3 < 1 2 3
The Artful Todger
Chatterbox
Suffolk UK
The Artful Todger is male  The Artful Todger has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-05-2020, 12:10 PM

Re: The Cost of the Epidemic.

Originally Posted by Judd ->
In your opinion.

Very true - time will tell.

However no attention seems to be given to the effect of the Chinese Plague on the economies of other countries. Although that is to a large extent that is an imponderable nevertheless a first order approximation can be made and when that is done the result is frightening. Interesting to read what George Soros, not my favourite guy, is saying.
Tedc
Berkshire, UK
Tedc is male  Tedc has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-05-2020, 01:59 PM

I think that's a good article, Judd!

It certainly highlights areas where cuts cut be made, to pay for recent events.

I'd say chop HS2, chop subsidising affordable homes (tell the builders what they CAN get permission to build).

The nuclear subs - nobody would know that we didn't have any & they'll never get fired anyway.

As for the NHS, I still think better spending management would improve our lot!

Tiffany
Chatterbox
Devon
Tiffany is female  Tiffany has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-05-2020, 02:23 PM

Originally Posted by swimfeeders ->
Hi

There is a cost to pay, nobody will be exempt.

Pensions have not been affected so far.

Those who pay for them, the working population,have been seriously hit.

Tax revenues are down massively and these are what pay for our State Pensions.

Those who have Private Pensions, these are paid out of Company Profits and Dividends.

These are disappearing at an amazing rate.

We will all be affected.

The value of Pension Funds has been hugely affected, even so called safe investments like BT and Rolls Royce have fallen heavily.
The pensioners, from what you are saying will in the end come of worst if pensions are affected. Others can get work eventually, but we, who are too old &/or to infirm to work will be buggered. You paint a very rosy picture for all us pensioners, thanks, if I wasn't depressed before I am now.
Percy Vere
Wilds and woolly wastes of Staffordshire, UK
Percy Vere is male  Percy Vere has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-05-2020, 02:49 PM

Originally Posted by Tiffany ->
The pensioners, from what you are saying will in the end come of worst if pensions are affected. Others can get work eventually, but we, who are too old &/or to infirm to work will be buggered. You paint a very rosy picture for all us pensioners, thanks, if I wasn't depressed before I am now.
Ditto. At least I have a written guarantee that my company pension won't change until next March at the earliest.
AnnieS
Chatterbox
United Kingdom
AnnieS is female  AnnieS has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-05-2020, 03:57 PM

Originally Posted by Tedc ->
....chop subsidising affordable homes (tell the builders what they CAN get permission to build).

All homes will be affordable after this

Page 3 of 3 < 1 2 3

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top