Join for free
Page 3 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >
Omah
Chatterbox
Ludlow
Omah is male  Omah has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

29-03-2020, 11:58 AM

Re: Is CCleaner Safe? - MUO article extract and link

Originally Posted by Tedc ->
Apologies.

Typo.

I should have written "Ccleaner got hacked"
Apparently, Avast (almost) let it happen again:

Avast says hackers breached internal network through compromised VPN profile

Czech antivirus maker discloses second attack aimed at compromising CCleaner releases.

https://www.zdnet.com/article/avast-...d-vpn-profile/

October 21, 2019

In a statement published today, the company said it believed the attack's purpose was to insert malware into the CCleaner software, similar to the infamous CCleaner 2017 incident.

Avast said the breach occurred because the attacker compromised an employee's VPN credentials, gaining access to an account that was not protected using a multi-factor authentication solution.

The intrusion was detected on September 23, but Avast said it found evidence of the attacker targeting its infrastructure going as far back as May 14, this year.

Staff eventually tracked down other security alerts inside Avast's ATA dashboard, alerts that engineers previously ignored, thinking they were false positives. ATA stands for Microsoft Advanced Threat Analytics, an on-premise network parsing engine and traffic analysis system that Microsoft sells to enterprises in order to protect internal networks from malicious attacks triggered from inside.

The alert showed that the compromised user account replicated Avast's Active Directory service, an effective digital map of the company's internal network.
Tedc
Berkshire, UK
Tedc is male  Tedc has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

29-03-2020, 12:17 PM

Good. The new attack was spotted and dealt with.
Omah
Chatterbox
Ludlow
Omah is male  Omah has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

29-03-2020, 12:19 PM

Good. The new attack was spotted and dealt with.
Eventually ..... after "engineers" ignored alerts for FOUR months ......
Tedc
Berkshire, UK
Tedc is male  Tedc has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

29-03-2020, 12:27 PM

Originally Posted by Omah ->
Eventually ..... after "engineers" ignored alerts for FOUR months ......
It is ironic that they thought they were looking at false positives.

I would have thought that an anti-virus program creator would know all about those!

Still, they got there.
Omah
Chatterbox
Ludlow

29-03-2020, 12:33 PM

It is ironic that they thought they were looking at false positives.

I would have thought that an anti-virus program creator would know all about those!

Still, they got there.
I'm less than impressed .....
Zuleika
North West UK
Zuleika is female  Zuleika has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

29-03-2020, 04:26 PM

Safe enough for me, Summer.

Ccleaner did get hacked a few years ago, but so did many others.

It's a free cleaner and it's job is to get rid of the dross left behind by updates, etc.

Works fine for me!
B..but you just said you use PrivaZer ?
Tedc
Berkshire, UK

29-03-2020, 04:59 PM

Originally Posted by Zuleika ->
B..but you just said you use PrivaZer ?
I have both installed and use them depending on what I want to do.

Ccleaner is quick & useful for cleaning out clutter , like old updates, cache, etc.

It is also handy for managing start up programs.

Privazer is more extensive, it can be set to create a system restore point, so that you can put it all back, if something goes amiss.
It takes two or three times as long to run.

No harm in having both, I only pay for Privazer. ( a donation).

I also have Norton Anti V, Malwarebytes (free), & spybot search & destroy.(free).

Bit over the top, but in a big war against the baddies, it's worth wearing plenty of armour.

Note also that the free downloads usually only run when you start them (if you remember to start them) whilst the paid for versions often run in the background, all the time, and might catch anything flying your way.
Zuleika
North West UK
Zuleika is female  Zuleika has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

30-03-2020, 11:50 AM

The people who built my pc told me running even two different forms of protection isn’t necessary and they could in fact interfere with each other ,yet you appear to have four?
At present I have Kaspersky and Malwarebytes(free)having removed CCCleaner yesterday
So am I confused ? Yes ! I mean what do you do that justifies what you have installed ?
Tedc
Berkshire, UK

30-03-2020, 12:29 PM

Originally Posted by Zuleika ->
The people who built my pc told me running even two different forms of protection isn’t necessary and they could in fact interfere with each other ,yet you appear to have four?
At present I have Kaspersky and Malwarebytes(free)having removed CCCleaner yesterday
So am I confused ? Yes ! I mean what do you do that justifies what you have installed ?
Two forms of basic antivirus protection is not recommended
I agree with that.

They can & do interfere with each other.

That could be because one company, finding a new virus, puts the DNA profile of that virus into his software on his customers' PCs. When another company product gets run, it could be that it spots that profile and sets off the alarm bells as it thinks it has found one!

Malwarebytes, helps in keeping us safe from "malware" which goes beyond antivirus. e.g Ransomeware, malicious web sites, and others.
Malwarebytes does not interfere with your antivirus, it complements it (in my experience).

Spybot also goes beyond the basic antivirus by seeking out BOTS (adware files, trojans, dialers, browser hijackers, rootkits and other infectious malware software).
Spybot goes deep and does not interfere with other antivirus software, in my experience.

So, for the everyday user, the antivirus provided by Windows, or another antivirus producer, is enough to keep most users happy, assuming they are kept up to date..

However, some of us, perhaps because we are heavier users, have seen or experienced hits by other nasty stuff which has led us to adding software to cover that.

When i put these packages on, I don't remove them unless they cause problems with others. I just disable them as required.

I have to add that I have had some bad times, with attacks.

I cover as much as I can now.

My Ebay account was taken over once. A russian started buying stuff in my name. That got sorted.

I also found that my email address had been PWNED (a term which means that some dealer, having closed down, had passed on the personal files of all of the users - which could then lead to the above, or worse.) You can check your own email by going to the I've been Pwned website.(https://haveibeenpwned.com)

Sorry for the lengthy reply, but you did ask!
Omah
Chatterbox
Ludlow

12-09-2020, 11:06 AM

Originally Posted by Omah ->
I will have to dissociate my PCs from all Piriform products in the near future ..... these include Recuva, Defraggler and Speccy ....
Last one soon to go - Defraggler .....

The recent Windows 10 Update which included a fix for Windows Defragger reminded me to look for a Defraggler replacement - I'm currently testing Disk SpeedUp .....

Page 3 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top