Join for free
Page 5 of 6 « First < 3 4 5 6 >
Longdogs
Chatterbox
SW England
Longdogs is male  Longdogs has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-04-2020, 11:29 AM

Re: Not used for a couple of weeks = Flat Battery

I haven't tried starting my Qashqai for about six or seven weeks now. I might wander over to the car park today and see if it will start. The thing is, I walk to work (approx 2 minutes walk) and the car isn't parked right outside the house for easy maintenance.
Besoeker
Chatterbox
Doncaster, UK
Besoeker is male  Besoeker has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-04-2020, 02:38 PM

Originally Posted by Baz46 ->
I've always had manual cars so am one who uses a clutch. A dislike of automatics, from many years' ago, was dispelled when recently I drove a courtesy car that was an automatic. So very different to the old automatics, the changes in gear could hardly be noticed.

I've not been to Australia, one of my big regrets in life, but somehow I think you might have a shock at the higher traffic levels in London, it's often quicker to walk!
I've had both. The Citroen 3.0 was as rough as a badger's arse. The Camry V6, on the other hand, was silky smooth. As was my XJS V12.
Longdogs
Chatterbox
SW England
Longdogs is male  Longdogs has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-04-2020, 03:11 PM

Well, well. It started first time.
Baz46
Somewhere rural 'out in the sticks', UK
Baz46 is male  Baz46 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-04-2020, 03:47 PM

Originally Posted by Besoeker ->
I've had both. The Citroen 3.0 was as rough as a badger's arse. The Camry V6, on the other hand, was silky smooth. As was my XJS V12.
Not too sure now as it was decades ago, and I do mean a lot of decades but I think it was a Honda or a Morris 1300 (that shows how long ago!) where every gear change could be felt with quite a jolt.

The car that dispelled those first and only impressions was a VW Golf, it changed gear so smoothly it was a nice drive. I still don't like automatics though, they always feel as if I am out of control. Nice on a busy town drive though.
Besoeker
Chatterbox
Doncaster, UK
Besoeker is male  Besoeker has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-04-2020, 04:29 PM

Originally Posted by Baz46 ->
Not too sure now as it was decades ago, and I do mean a lot of decades but I think it was a Honda or a Morris 1300 (that shows how long ago!) where every gear change could be felt with quite a jolt.

The car that dispelled those first and only impressions was a VW Golf, it changed gear so smoothly it was a nice drive. I still don't like automatics though, they always feel as if I am out of control. Nice on a busy town drive though.
Yes, good in town. But I wouldn't drive in London anyway. Expensive to park and you can get cheap travel on the underground.
Bruce
Chatterbox
Wollongong, Australia
Bruce is male  Bruce has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

20-04-2020, 12:44 AM

The best auto gearbox I had was in my Mitsubishi Colt it had a continuously variable transmission (CVT) so there were no changes at all.

When I first got it the sight of the rev counter winding down as you accelerated was rather odd but the car only weighed 3/4 tonne so the little 1.5 litre engine was quite powerful enough for it.

The gearbox in normal mode had absolutely no discernible drag on the engine so on any downhill slope the car just ran away; to induce engine braking you had to put it in sports mode.

Everything on the car was electric driven, even the A/C, no fan belts at all. The only thing I didn't like was the front wheel drive, too easy to spin the front wheels but if needed I would happily have another.
OldGreyFox
Chatterbox
South Yorkshire
OldGreyFox is male  OldGreyFox has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

20-04-2020, 11:48 AM

Originally Posted by Bruce ->
The best auto gearbox I had was in my Mitsubishi Colt it had a continuously variable transmission (CVT) so there were no changes at all.

When I first got it the sight of the rev counter winding down as you accelerated was rather odd but the car only weighed 3/4 tonne so the little 1.5 litre engine was quite powerful enough for it.

The gearbox in normal mode had absolutely no discernible drag on the engine so on any downhill slope the car just ran away; to induce engine braking you had to put it in sports mode.

Everything on the car was electric driven, even the A/C, no fan belts at all. The only thing I didn't like was the front wheel drive, too easy to spin the front wheels but if needed I would happily have another.
Front wheel drive vehicles are far superior in my opinion Bruce.
All my vehicles have been front wheel drive and there have been many; from a clutch of minis in the early days, to Allegro's (I know!) Ford Orions, Berlingo Vans and finally a Nissan Qashkai.

It's far more sensible to have the drive wheels under the engine which will provide them with more traction and making them harder to spin. I lost count of the number of BMW's I saw in the ditch, especially in winter, when the careless twitch of a foot, coupled to a high torque engine sent the vehicle spinning out of control.

Rear wheel drive vehicles are only good if you are carrying half a ton of sand in your boot, or like doing doughnuts....
zuludog
N E Lancashire
zuludog is male  zuludog has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

20-04-2020, 11:58 AM

Well, I now have a new battery

The AA man turned up on time; gave the system a check, fitted a new battery, which is completely maintenance free, and took away the old one

The total cost was £130, with a 5 year guarantee
Omah
Chatterbox
Ludlow
Omah is male  Omah has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

20-04-2020, 12:02 PM

Originally Posted by zuludog ->
Well, I now have a new battery

The AA man turned up on time; gave the system a check, fitted a new battery, which is completely maintenance free, and took away the old one

The total cost was £130, with a 5 year guarantee
Job done .....

Did he advise on running the engine once a week .....
Bruce
Chatterbox
Wollongong, Australia
Bruce is male  Bruce has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

20-04-2020, 12:19 PM

Originally Posted by OldGreyFox ->
It's far more sensible to have the drive wheels under the engine which will provide them with more traction and making them harder to spin. I lost count of the number of BMW's I saw in the ditch, especially in winter, when the careless twitch of a foot, coupled to a high torque engine sent the vehicle spinning out of control.

Rear wheel drive vehicles are only good if you are carrying half a ton of sand in your boot, or like doing doughnuts....
I suspect that the BMWs in a ditch says a lot more about the people who buy BMWs than rear wheel drive.

I have only had two front wheel drive vehicles, an Austin 1800 and my Mitsubishi Colt and while there is something to be said for the weight of an engine over the driven wheels the fact remains that accelerating transfers weight to the rear wheels and lightens the front.

It was all too easy in my Colt to spin the front wheels particularly on steep inclines and the lack of weight in the back could make it twitchy especially on dirt.

However this has never happened in my rear wheel drive Dmax it weighs 2 tonnes but with its 3 litre turbo diesel is very stable under any road conditions (and can tow 3.5 tonnes).

Page 5 of 6 « First < 3 4 5 6 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top