Join for free
Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
OldGreyFox
Chatterbox
South Yorkshire
OldGreyFox is male  OldGreyFox has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-04-2020, 10:48 AM

Re: Changing my Browser

Am I right in thinking that the firewall or pop-up blocker can sometimes be responsible for not allowing use of certain sites?

I have always used Chrome and never had a problem....
Tedc
Berkshire, UK
Tedc is male  Tedc has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-04-2020, 10:55 AM

Originally Posted by Sweetsue ->
I am having trouble accessing Asda's site to apply for an online delivery. (This is not the first time that I have used them and have never had a problem in the past). I am using Google Chrome - and have been for years, but they are suggesting that I change my browser in order to access the site. Which browser would you reccommend? I am not the most techno savvy person in the country!
I'd assume that Asda are doing this because of the heavy demand on their delivery web site.

Are you ok on all other sites?
mart
Chatterbox
South of England
mart is male  mart has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-04-2020, 11:23 AM

Originally Posted by OldGreyFox ->
Am I right in thinking that the firewall or pop-up blocker can sometimes be responsible for not allowing use of certain sites?

I have always used Chrome and never had a problem....
A firewall can block a specific site if a rule is created in the firewall to block it. Usually though, once the firewall has given permission to the browser access to the Internet, all incoming and outgoing data is allowed. Creating a rule to block a specific site is a little involved and perhaps not something that would be done by most, including me. I've never found it necessary.

Firewalls mostly come with a whitelist of programs that are considered safe and Google Chrome will almost certainly be on it. This is to avoid the firewall being too intrusive into computer and Internet activities. There are firewalls that will ask every single time if you want to allow something or other to access the Internet but they can be a nuisance.

AV or other protection can stop a site from being accessed but when it does, a warning is usually given by the program itself that the site is unsafe to visit (in its opinion). I generally believe it. I don't think Asda would be on a 'risky' list.

Edit: In Sweetsue's case, it's the site blocking the browser rather than the computer blocking the site. I haven't read anywhere else of Asda blocking Chrome ..and Google Chrome on Asda is OK for me.
mart
Chatterbox
South of England
mart is male  mart has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-04-2020, 11:45 AM

I've just been doing some more reading and have come across another case of someone using Asda with Chrome yesterday. They said they couldn't check out using it.

I have tried going into the site and browsing the groceries and that all works OK. I haven't gone as far as checking out though. Is it at that point that they say to use a different browser?
OldGreyFox
Chatterbox
South Yorkshire
OldGreyFox is male  OldGreyFox has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-04-2020, 12:05 PM

Originally Posted by mart ->
A firewall can block a specific site if a rule is created in the firewall to block it. Usually though, once the firewall has given permission to the browser access to the Internet, all incoming and outgoing data is allowed. Creating a rule to block a specific site is a little involved and perhaps not something that would be done by most, including me. I've never found it necessary.

Firewalls mostly come with a whitelist of programs that are considered safe and Google Chrome will almost certainly be on it. This is to avoid the firewall being too intrusive into computer and Internet activities. There are firewalls that will ask every single time if you want to allow something or other to access the Internet but they can be a nuisance.

AV or other protection can stop a site from being accessed but when it does, a warning is usually given by the program itself that the site is unsafe to visit (in its opinion). I generally believe it. I don't think Asda would be on a 'risky' list.

Edit: In Sweetsue's case, it's the site blocking the browser rather than the computer blocking the site. I haven't read anywhere else of Asda blocking Chrome ..and Google Chrome on Asda is OK for me.
Cheers Mart.....Stay safe mate.....
Percy Vere
Wilds and woolly wastes of Staffordshire, UK
Percy Vere is male  Percy Vere has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-04-2020, 03:57 PM

Originally Posted by mart ->

I keep a few browsers installed, just interested in seeing how they set up and work. At the moment it's Firefox, Chrome and Vivaldi ..plus Edge that comes with the operating system. Edge works as well as any other browser based on Chromium.
I've never heard of Vivaldi as a browser. Downloading it now to try it out.

I use Firefox as my default browser but I also have Internet Explorer and Edge installed as well. I tried Chrome but didn't get on with it.
mart
Chatterbox
South of England

04-04-2020, 05:52 PM

Vivaldi is based on Chromium but Vivaldi have put their own stamp on it. There are lots of different controls. A bit confusing-looking to start with.

One different aspect of it is the way the toolbar colours change when different sites are visited. I couldn't get on with that and set the browser to use only the dark theme. Also set the search engine to DuckDuckGo.

Once the bookmarks are imported and moved around to how you want them, it's an OK browser.
Sweetsue
midWales
Sweetsue is female  Sweetsue has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-04-2020, 08:13 PM

Have installed Firefox and used it to get on to Asda's site with exactly the same result. Afraid I shall have to give up and I'm going to try phoning Sainsburys tomorrow. I understand that you can register as vulnerable and be given a slot after they have checked your circumstances (age etc.). Shall have great pleasure in replying to Asda's last email and telling them exactly what I think of them for stocking Polish beef!

Thank you all for the suggestions and info.
Bruce
Chatterbox
Wollongong, Australia
Bruce is male  Bruce has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

06-04-2020, 12:54 AM

It is just sloppy programming and partly M$s fault.

Even though HTML (I think the current incarnation is 5) is a standard the browsers sometimes implement it badly or introduce non standard interpretations of it. M$ Internet Explorer was notorious for it and web site writers would sometimes make use of these non standard implementations for convenience.

The problem then was that other browsers wont work properly with the site - for example pop up calenders won't work or you can't select a date.

It is also lazy web writers who don't check that their code works with other browsers. Unfortunately M$ Internet Explorer is sometimes the only one that works properly (I am not sure about Edge as I never use it).
Bread
Chatterbox
Sudbury, United Kingdom
Bread is male  Bread has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

06-04-2020, 11:26 AM

Clear your cookies out, this is usually they culprit with browsing problems

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top