Join for free
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
Pesta
Chatterbox
North of the South UK
Pesta is female  Pesta has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-04-2020, 08:55 PM

Cornflakes and mince

Many moons ago, in the 80's, I worked with a lady who brought her Weight Watchers (I think it was) cookbook into work.

I found a recipe and tried it and it was lovely.
All I can remember was that it was made with mince and topped with cornflakes. If I remember the cornflakes were heated in a pan with butter and then put on top of the mince before it went in the oven. It might have had raisins in with the mince too, apart from the usual onions etc.

I've tried to think what it entailed - but can't remember. I'm thinking now perhaps it was just something like shepherds/cottage pie without the mash.

Any ideas or has anyone got any 'old' WW Cookbooks?
Longdogs
Chatterbox
SW England
Longdogs is male  Longdogs has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-04-2020, 08:58 PM

Re: Cornflakes and mince

I don't know the recipe Pesta but somewhere in the back of my old cobwebbed mind, I recall something about cornflakes used as a topping for meat.
Pesta
Chatterbox
North of the South UK
Pesta is female  Pesta has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-04-2020, 09:04 PM

Originally Posted by Longdogs ->
I don't know the recipe Pesta but somewhere in the back of my old cobwebbed mind, I recall something about cornflakes used as a topping for meat.
Old cobwebbed mind eh? Are you dribbling over the thought of meat and cornflakes with milk and sugar for brekkie
Longdogs
Chatterbox
SW England
Longdogs is male  Longdogs has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-04-2020, 09:09 PM

Originally Posted by Pesta ->
Old cobwebbed mind eh? Are you dribbling over the thought of meat and cornflakes with milk and sugar for brekkie
I dribble over all sorts of things Pesta.
Silver Tabby
Chatterbox
God's own county!
Silver Tabby is female  Silver Tabby has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-04-2020, 09:40 PM

Originally Posted by Pesta ->
Many moons ago, in the 80's, I worked with a lady who brought her Weight Watchers (I think it was) cookbook into work.

I found a recipe and tried it and it was lovely.
All I can remember was that it was made with mince and topped with cornflakes. If I remember the cornflakes were heated in a pan with butter and then put on top of the mince before it went in the oven. It might have had raisins in with the mince too, apart from the usual onions etc.

I've tried to think what it entailed - but can't remember. I'm thinking now perhaps it was just something like shepherds/cottage pie without the mash.

Any ideas or has anyone got any 'old' WW Cookbooks?
Could this be the one? Found it loitering on Google.

Cornflake Mince

Serves 4

Core points per serving: 2½
Points per serving: 6½

300g extra lean minced beef
1 large onion, chopped
2 tbsp tomato ketchup
4 tbsp sultanas
salt & pepper
1 x 400g tin WWFH baked beans
40g cornflakes
2 tbsp polyunsaturated margarine, melted

Heat a large non-stick pan, cook the mince & onion for 6-8 mins until the mince is browning. Stir in the ketchup, sultanas and seasoning.

Put the beans into an ovenproof casserole dish. Top with the mince mixture. Toss the cornflakes with the melted margarine and top the mince with them.

Bake for 30 mins in a hot oven Gas 6 200ºC
Dodge
Kent, UK
Dodge is male  Dodge has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-04-2020, 09:47 PM

breakfast cereal cornflakes on mince!!!! eewww how disgusting
Tiffany
Chatterbox
Devon
Tiffany is female  Tiffany has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-04-2020, 10:44 PM

Originally Posted by Dodge ->
breakfast cereal cornflakes on mince!!!! eewww how disgusting
It's only a breakfast food if you add milk & sugar or whatever, like fruit. It probably works just as well as a savoury.
Pesta
Chatterbox
North of the South UK

15-04-2020, 08:41 PM

Tabby! Well done!

I'm surprised you found it. Must admit I never thought to look online it was from so long ago.

I forgot there were beans in it.

I made some shepherds/cottage pie for the freezer a few weeks ago and there's only one left now. It got me thinking what else could I do with mince when I next buy any. Cue a ping going off in my brain back to all those years ago.

I found it quite tasty then and I might just make it again now... thanks to your search.

10/10 Tabby
susan m
DORSET UK
susan m is female  susan m has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

15-04-2020, 10:37 PM

Sultanas , with mince and onions . Wonder what that's like . I'll wait to hear
Pesta
Chatterbox
North of the South UK

17-04-2020, 07:42 PM

Susan I was taken with it in the early 80s, mind you my taste buds have changed since then.

Question for someone/anyone:

Will this freeze well? I mean with the cornflakes and beans in.

Replies will be gratefully received

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top