Join for free
Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 > Last »
shropshiregirl
Chatterbox
Shropshire
shropshiregirl is female  shropshiregirl has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-04-2020, 06:08 PM

A Question Please.

Can someone please put me right over the following as it is puzzling this old bird.

Southern Ireland is, and obviously still will be an EU member state once we leave on 31st December 2020.
Since the year 1922, S.I. and the UK have always had an unwritten agreement regarding the Common Travel Area (CTA).

What puzzles me though, is that although an EU member state, when Ireland joined the EU, it did not become a member of the Schengen Area due to wanting the continuation of the CTA.

However, what happens once the UK finishes the transition period and stricter border controls come into being? Ireland is well able to stand on its own two feet as a country and as time passes, may well become more isolated from us and delve further into the EU way of doing things - i.e. by eventually joining the Schengen Area. (either through wishing to or by force with the next magic agreement the EU come up with in their goal for total domination).
What happens then? there is no border between Southern Ireland and Northern Ireland,(The UK) How will that work if S.I. does join the Schengen allowing every EU citizen and his family being allowed freedom of movement into Southern Ireland with eventual mass applications for Irish citizenship, basically then making it a convenient easy and legal way of mass immigration by the backdoor into the UK. (just down the road). And over the water to here.

Will the CTA end if Southern Ireland eventually joins the Schengen Area? I sincerely hope so.
Does anyone have any knowledge of the above, or are my worries groundless?
Bread
Chatterbox
Sudbury, United Kingdom
Bread is male  Bread has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-04-2020, 06:57 PM

Re: A Question Please.

Originally Posted by shropshiregirl ->
Can someone please put me right over the following as it is puzzling this old bird.

Southern Ireland is, and obviously still will be an EU member state once we leave on 31st December 2020.
Since the year 1922, S.I. and the UK have always had an unwritten agreement regarding the Common Travel Area (CTA).

What puzzles me though, is that although an EU member state, when Ireland joined the EU, it did not become a member of the Schengen Area due to wanting the continuation of the CTA.

However, what happens once the UK finishes the transition period and stricter border controls come into being? Ireland is well able to stand on its own two feet as a country and as time passes, may well become more isolated from us and delve further into the EU way of doing things - i.e. by eventually joining the Schengen Area. (either through wishing to or by force with the next magic agreement the EU come up with in their goal for total domination).
What happens then? there is no border between Southern Ireland and Northern Ireland,(The UK) How will that work if S.I. does join the Schengen allowing every EU citizen and his family being allowed freedom of movement into Southern Ireland with eventual mass applications for Irish citizenship, basically then making it a convenient easy and legal way of mass immigration by the backdoor into the UK. (just down the road). And over the water to here.

Will the CTA end if Southern Ireland eventually joins the Schengen Area? I sincerely hope so.
The republic joining Schengen would mean that Northern Ireland would need border controls and hence go against the Good Friday Agreement (if physical) and the common travel area would end.

Northern Ireland, the UK and the Republic are not in Schengen at the moment.
Solasch
Chatterbox
Netherlands
Solasch is male  Solasch has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-04-2020, 07:20 PM

Originally Posted by shropshiregirl ->

While the Common Travel Area is recognised under the Treaty of Amsterdam, it is not dependant on the European Union and the continuing membership of both countries. Schengen has nothing to do with it.
The Common Travel Area does not relate to goods or customs issues. Common Travel Area rights can only be exercised by citizens of Ireland and the UK. If you are not a citizen of Ireland or the UK, you will not be able to exercise Common Travel Area rights.
The UK, for the purposes of the Common Travel Area, covers England, Scotland, Wales, Northern Ireland, the Isle of Man and the Channel Islands.
Irish and UK citizens have the right to live, travel, work and study within the Common Travel Area.
There are no passport controls in operation for Irish and UK citizens travelling between the 2 countries. You do not need to have a passport to enter the other country. However, all air and sea carriers require some form of identification and some regard a passport as the only valid identification. Immigration authorities may also require you to have valid official photo-identification which shows your nationality. As you are being asked to prove that you are an Irish or UK citizen who is entitled to avail of the Common Travel Area arrangements, it is advisable to travel with your passport.
The Common Travel Area also involves some co-operation on matters relating to immigration issues. A third country national, for example, may be refused permission to enter Ireland if they intend to travel onwards to the UK and they would not qualify for admission to the UK under the Aliens (Amendment) Order 1975. Irish immigration officers have the power to carry out checks on people arriving in the State from the UK and to refuse them entry to the State on the same grounds as apply to people arriving from outside the Common Travel Area. These checks are carried out selectively.
https://www.citizensinformation.ie/e...nd_the_uk.html
Solasch
Chatterbox
Netherlands
Solasch is male  Solasch has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-04-2020, 07:36 PM

Originally Posted by Bread ->
The republic joining Schengen would mean that Northern Ireland would need border controls and hence go against the Good Friday Agreement (if physical) and the common travel area would end.

Northern Ireland, the UK and the Republic are not in Schengen at the moment.
The republic joining the schengen area would make free travel possible for irish citizens to all other countries in the area. And the cta would continue to guarantee irish citizens can travel freely to the UK. So no border controls for persons between republic and the north.
Silver Tabby
Chatterbox
God's own county!
Silver Tabby is female  Silver Tabby has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-04-2020, 10:00 PM

I would dearly love to see North and South united - without acrimony or bloodshed - into one Republic - and then for them to kick eurofilth out forever.

It may happen - one day - but I think not in my lifetime!
Bread
Chatterbox
Sudbury, United Kingdom
Bread is male  Bread has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-04-2020, 10:03 PM

Originally Posted by Solasch ->
The republic joining the schengen area would make free travel possible for irish citizens to all other countries in the area. And the cta would continue to guarantee irish citizens can travel freely to the UK. So no border controls for persons between republic and the north.

No it wouldn't because the uk and northern Ireland are not in the schengen area or the eu.
Solasch
Chatterbox
Netherlands

20-04-2020, 01:44 PM

No it wouldn't because the uk and northern Ireland are not in the schengen area or the eu.
When the republic of ireland signs the schengen agreement, the republic's citizens are free to travel to all other schengen member countries.

Signing up does alter nothing in the cta, it was there before the EU existed. So the replic's citizens can keep travelling freely to the UK.
Bread
Chatterbox
Sudbury, United Kingdom

20-04-2020, 05:56 PM

When the republic of ireland signs the schengen agreement, the republic's citizens are free to travel to all other schengen member countries.

Signing up does alter nothing in the cta, it was there before the EU existed. So the replic's citizens can keep travelling freely to the UK.
Wrong, because Northern Ireland is NOT in Schengen and so requires passports to be shown at it's border, like all other countries that are not in Schengen. The CTA is an agreement between 2 countries that are both not in Schengen and never have been and neither country have had freedom of movement of people from outside its borders.
Solasch
Chatterbox
Netherlands

21-04-2020, 01:25 PM

Wrong, because Northern Ireland is NOT in Schengen and so requires passports to be shown at it's border, like all other countries that are not in Schengen. The CTA is an agreement between 2 countries that are both not in Schengen and never have been and neither country have had freedom of movement of people from outside its borders.
Its nice to see you know better than ireland's government. Look again at my post #3.

There are no passport controls in operation for Irish and UK citizens travelling between the 2 countries. You do not need to have a passport to enter the other country.*

And

The UK’s withdrawal from the European Union (EU) will not affect the rights of Irish citizens and UK citizens within the Common Travel Area.*
Bread
Chatterbox
Sudbury, United Kingdom

21-04-2020, 01:35 PM

Its nice to see you know better than ireland's government. Look again at my post #3.

There are no passport controls in operation for Irish and UK citizens travelling between the 2 countries. You do not need to have a passport to enter the other country.*

And

The UK’s withdrawal from the European Union (EU) will not affect the rights of Irish citizens and UK citizens within the Common Travel Area.*
If you read my posts you will see I mention passport / ID, which you need to show at the ports.

I also never said that the UK withdrawal from the EU would affect the CTA - the question was about if the Republic joined Schengen.

Once again your derailing another thread.

Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top