Join for free
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
carol
Chatterbox
Derbyshire.
carol is female  carol has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

11-04-2020, 11:24 PM

Pension credits..

I have a friend who is quite well off but the other day we were chatting on the phone & she mentioned she won't have to pay for a TV license because she gets pension credits.

Does anybody know how much you're allowed to have in the bank before claiming?
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

11-04-2020, 11:30 PM

Re: Pension credits..

Originally Posted by carol ->
I have a friend who is quite well off but the other day we were chatting on the phone & she mentioned she won't have to pay for a TV license because she gets pension credits.

Does anybody know how much you're allowed to have in the bank before claiming?

Here's some advice Carol.

https://www.ageuk.org.uk/information...ension-credit/
carol
Chatterbox
Derbyshire.
carol is female  carol has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-04-2020, 12:04 AM

Thanks Mups. Looking at that page it says couples are eligible if their joint income is less that £255.

My friend has much more that that coming in. They have a decent private pension each as well as the state one - plus carers allowance for her husband as he has Alzheimers.

Until his illness got worse they had two cruises a year and gave their granddaughter £10,000 deposit towards buying a house.

I just don't know how she's wangled it..
TessA
Official Poinker
UK
TessA is female  TessA has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-04-2020, 08:52 AM

Perhaps its the savings credit Carol. They've probably hidden savings under the mattress or somewhere.
I knew someone who wouldn't put money in the bank because they'd lose benefits.
It's as bad as cheating to get any other benefit.
carol
Chatterbox
Derbyshire.

12-04-2020, 01:00 PM

I was thinking that Tessa. I did ask her straight out if she'd removed some money from her bank account & hidden it somewhere. Most probably asked one of her kids to save it in their account.

She was very evasive in her answer so I don't really know.

Without plodding through all the forms myself I just wondered if anybody here knew the maximum income/savings allowed and still get the pension credit..

I don't think I'm eligible for it but if my friend who I know is better off than us, gets it - it made me wonder..
TessA
Official Poinker
UK
TessA is female  TessA has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-04-2020, 01:30 PM

No harm in trying Carol.
Ripple
Ripple is female  Ripple has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

17-06-2020, 09:14 AM

Originally Posted by carol ->
I was thinking that Tessa. I did ask her straight out if she'd removed some money from her bank account & hidden it somewhere. Most probably asked one of her kids to save it in their account.

She was very evasive in her answer so I don't really know.

Without plodding through all the forms myself I just wondered if anybody here knew the maximum income/savings allowed and still get the pension credit..

I don't think I'm eligible for it but if my friend who I know is better off than us, gets it - it made me wonder..
I know you’re not meant to have more than 12k in savings
Zuleika
North West UK
Zuleika is female  Zuleika has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

17-06-2020, 11:27 AM

Originally Posted by Ripple ->
I know you’re not meant to have more than 12k in savings
That’s incorrect and it really isn’t wise to take notice of what other people say they get because there are so many different circumstances to take into consideration. .

Carol you can calculate here .
https://www.gov.uk/pension-credit-calculator

Tel.0800 99 1234 for a claim over the phone or for a claim form to be sent to you .

To make a claim over phone ( only one of a couple can claim)
Have your NI number ready
Details of income ,savings and investments
Ripple
Ripple is female  Ripple has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

18-06-2020, 07:53 PM

Originally Posted by Zuleika ->
That’s incorrect and it really isn’t wise to take notice of what other people say they get because there are so many different circumstances to take into consideration. .

Carol you can calculate here .
https://www.gov.uk/pension-credit-calculator

Tel.0800 99 1234 for a claim over the phone or for a claim form to be sent to you .

To make a claim over phone ( only one of a couple can claim)
Have your NI number ready
Details of income ,savings and investments
Ooops sorry I made a mistake If you or your partner have £6,000 or £10,000 if you are over state pension age or less in savings this will not affect your claim for pension credit.

If you or your partner have £16,000 or more in savings, you won’t be entitled to any pension credit benefit.
You may also be entitled to a warm house discount a one off payment of £140 directly off your winter fuel bill.

I helped an nearby elderly neighbour claim for pension credit.
She also got the council tax paid In full.

Anyway good luck with your claim.
Ripple

19-06-2020, 08:22 AM

I could of sworn it was 12k sigh 😔

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top