Join for free
Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >
keezoy
Australia
keezoy is male  keezoy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-05-2020, 04:07 AM

Re: Lightmeters are they sill relevent?

Originally Posted by realspeed ->
the idea is to get it right in camera first as shown in the second photo
OK. I'm not a purist. The end result is what's important to me but if you're an "artist" and the whole process is important including getting it right in the camera then I guess the answer is yes light meters are still relevant.
Bruce
Chatterbox
Wollongong, Australia
Bruce is male  Bruce has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-05-2020, 04:50 AM

My compact camera has a number of exposure readings available to it.

From memory and this might not be exactly right, there is a heavily weighted one in the centre of the frame.

There is one that you can indicate by touching the screen at the point you want correctly exposed.

And there is one mode which samples various parts of the scene (and indicates them on the screen) and uses these measurements to expose the frame.

Many years ago I used an exposure meter but I really can't see the point of them now with so many modes easily available in the camera. I tend to use the last one most of all and find that most shots are correctly exposed.

I think focusing manually is a far more important technique to master with modern cameras.
keezoy
Australia
keezoy is male  keezoy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-05-2020, 08:39 AM

An example. I took this picture tonight of the sunset from my upstairs front window. I have an exquisite old Pentax camera but it's film. I never use it now and I usually just use my phone as I did here. It's pretty difficult to get it right "in the camera" so I used the computer to massage the picture. This end result is very close in light level and colour to the actual scene. The raw picture from the phone is crap and looks nothing like the reality. I don't see how you can use a light meter with a phone so if you can I'd like to know.

Attached Thumbnails (Click to enlarge)
Click image for larger version

Name:	sunset.jpg
Views:	89
Size:	37.1 KB
ID:	12512  
Longdogs
Chatterbox
SW England
Longdogs is male  Longdogs has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-05-2020, 09:20 AM

Yesterday I was struggling to see any difference between the two pictures but I see you have changed them. I suppose pic two is better but I would imagine that spot metering does the same job automatically.
realspeed
Chatterbox
South coast
realspeed is male  realspeed has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-05-2020, 11:22 AM

Originally Posted by Longdogs ->
Yesterday I was struggling to see any difference between the two pictures but I see you have changed them. I suppose pic two is better but I would imagine that spot metering does the same job automatically.
spot metering was the camera setting I used and it doesn't do the job automatically, it gets close but no "bulls eye" so to speak. Yes I changed to photos as I had not changed ISO from auto to manual in the previous photos

link
https://digital-photography-school.com/iso-settings/
realspeed
Chatterbox
South coast
realspeed is male  realspeed has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-05-2020, 11:24 AM

I don't on a mobile phone so don't know anything about them, apart that they are a phone with a camera thrown in to help sell.
d00d
Chatterbox
London, UK
d00d is male  d00d has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-05-2020, 11:38 AM

That fence needs brightening up a bit.

Longdogs
Chatterbox
SW England
Longdogs is male  Longdogs has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-05-2020, 11:51 AM

Originally Posted by d00d ->

It's the multi-coloured mincers.
Bruce
Chatterbox
Wollongong, Australia
Bruce is male  Bruce has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-05-2020, 12:47 PM

Originally Posted by d00d ->

Much better!
gasman
Kent, UK
gasman is male  gasman has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-05-2020, 11:42 PM

Originally Posted by bruce ->
much better!

Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top