Join for free
Jazzi
Chatterbox
Lowestoft
Jazzi is female  Jazzi has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-05-2020, 04:17 PM

Changing light bulbs, help please

Hi, already several bulbs have gone in this house: the owner was meant to do one in the back room but another has gone. I found one replacement but not same illumination, a screw in candle. The old one had Wilko on it so spose I’d best join a queue to get in there.

I am attaching photos of the kitchen lights and those in the lounge, and waiting for owner to reply to my message. 2 bulbs have gone in the kitchen (the black ones) and I haven’t a clue how to remove them.

Anyone got ideas please? Many thanks.

Attached Thumbnails (Click to enlarge)
Click image for larger version

Name:	14A17F81-9299-4DF0-9A28-5B9097103D26.jpg
Views:	88
Size:	42.2 KB
ID:	12542   Click image for larger version

Name:	41ADF6D2-1B81-416E-9A89-5536E44FFDF1.jpg
Views:	84
Size:	42.6 KB
ID:	12543  
Judd
Chatterbox
West Riding of Yorkshire
Judd is male  Judd has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-05-2020, 04:32 PM

Re: Changing light bulbs, help please

The ones in the black fitting are GU10 and are normally removed using a rubber suction cup to turn them anti-clockwise. It can be done using both thumbs arranged at opposite side of the lamp (bulb), pressing slightly, then twist anti-clockwise about a quarter of a turn.

Replace these with LED versions of around 4Watt.

The others are G9 and just pull out. They have two wire loops on the bottom which engage in the lamp holder. DO NOT touch them with your bare fingers when replacing - they usually arrive with a foam collar on or contained within a small bag. Use tissue paper to hold them while you push them back into the fitting. These around 40Watt.
Jazzi
Chatterbox
Lowestoft
Jazzi is female  Jazzi has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-05-2020, 05:38 PM

Oh Judd, thanks! I did have other positive responses on FB, suggesting using dampened fingertips, but actually your suggestion of using thumbs has actually worked! Managed to get one out. And yes, it’s the non working one. Now to try the other.

I have ordered a suction removal tool on Amazon, for delivery Sunday to the Morrisons locker, but maybe now I can get out tomorrow for more GU10 bulbs. But I’ve immediately misplaced the one I just took out! How is that even possible???

Edit. Found it. It’s with the candle bulb that I also need to replace, lol. What am I like?

I could try Wickes. There is one not far from me.

Tried lifting the other bulb out but maybe I need brute strength!
Judd
Chatterbox
West Riding of Yorkshire
Judd is male  Judd has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-05-2020, 06:27 PM

If you decide to go with the LED version of the GU10 lamp, you don't need a suction cup as they have a plastic lens and the suction cup won't stick.

"Tried lifting the other bulb out but maybe I need brute strength!"

Which one? The G9 (capsule lamp) type? These should just pull straight out.
Jazzi
Chatterbox
Lowestoft

09-05-2020, 08:01 AM

Originally Posted by Judd ->
If you decide to go with the LED version of the GU10 lamp, you don't need a suction cup as they have a plastic lens and the suction cup won't stick.

"Tried lifting the other bulb out but maybe I need brute strength!"

Which one? The G9 (capsule lamp) type? These should just pull straight out.
Yes, that one. My step ladders don’t reach high enough for me to get a proper grip, so might have to add longer ones on my ever growing shopping list.
OldGreyFox
Chatterbox
South Yorkshire
OldGreyFox is male  OldGreyFox has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-05-2020, 12:05 PM

I would recommend LED replacements for the G9's instead of halogen [which get really hot] you might have to shop around though, but I replaced most of my G9's with LED's.

I would go with LED's for the GU 10's also [as Judds suggestion] one of the reasons they blow so quickly is the heat build up in the close fitting shades.
Jazzi
Chatterbox
Lowestoft

09-05-2020, 08:54 PM

I managed to fine two packs today, in Wilko and Poundstretcher. I can't even put a new bulb in, it is too difficult. Hoping when I get the vacuum tomorrow that it helps.
Judd
Chatterbox
West Riding of Yorkshire

11-05-2020, 01:35 PM

If you do opt for the LED G9 replacements, make sure that they have a plastic sleeve over the small LEDs, some of the cheaper ones haven't and you may get an electric shock if you try to replace them while switched on.
Jazzi
Chatterbox
Lowestoft

12-05-2020, 02:35 PM

Collected my Amazon parcel yesterday while I had the day free without the dog (gave myself the day to do lots of shopping), and the spotlight vacuum tool worked an absolute treat!! I managed to remove the second blown bulb, and by sticking the tool to the new one, managed to fit two back into the holders. In seconds!!

I would never change a bulb while light was switched on. I managed to get more G9s yesterday, cheaper than what I paid the other day. I still haven’t attempted another removal, but will wait till it’s needed.

Thanks for all your help and advice.

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top