Join for free
Page 2 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 > Last »
Baz46
Somewhere rural 'out in the sticks', UK
Baz46 is male  Baz46 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

16-05-2020, 06:27 PM

Re: Just Wait a Couple of Weeks ...

Originally Posted by Percy Vere ->
Like you, I agree with most but
1. The UK doesn't have enough room to plant millions of trees. Much of the available acreage is unsuitable for one or more reasons including too much wind, not enough soil to support the root systems, etc.
2. I've always thought the CS is well overstaffed. It wouldn't take much to reduce it by at least 50% in less than a couple of months or so. As for the HoL, replace all the old fools with an elected body of no more than about 300. While we're at it, move the electoral boundaries around and reduce the number of MPs from 650 to around 590 - 600.
The Woodland Trust might not quite agree with that statement, they've done very well with 47 million trees planted since 1972:

https://www.woodlandtrust.org.uk/abo...e-plant-trees/

I was involved in publicising their efforts in a parish magazine for an area of Hertfordshire, where I used to live. There 600,000 trees have been planted by volunteers since 2008.
JBR
Chatterbox
Cheshire, UK
JBR is male  JBR has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

16-05-2020, 06:45 PM

Originally Posted by Baz46 ->
The Woodland Trust might not quite agree with that statement, they've done very well with 47 million trees planted since 1972:

https://www.woodlandtrust.org.uk/abo...e-plant-trees/

I was involved in publicising their efforts in a parish magazine for an area of Hertfordshire, where I used to live. There 600,000 trees have been planted by volunteers since 2008.
I'm quite happy to see more trees.
Sadly, that doesn't go for some people though. I think it was Sheffield council which recently decided to chop down all the trees lining one of its roads for some reason. I can't remember their reason, but it made the papers.
Baz46
Somewhere rural 'out in the sticks', UK
Baz46 is male  Baz46 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

16-05-2020, 08:06 PM

Originally Posted by JBR ->
I'm quite happy to see more trees.
Sadly, that doesn't go for some people though. I think it was Sheffield council which recently decided to chop down all the trees lining one of its roads for some reason. I can't remember their reason, but it made the papers.
I don't recall about Sheffield Council cutting down trees. I guess it's probably something to do with them avoiding legal actions against them should someone be injured by a tree that was not in good condition and personal injury occurred. There was a lot of that at one time all over the country.

All I could find was this about Sheffield Council:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-englan...shire-45958502

Plus I found another case where a barrister, who acted against Sheffield Council, also found another council were committing a criminal offence as they didn't have a Forestry Licence to fell trees:

https://www.doncasterfreepress.co.uk...ffence-1379438
JBR
Chatterbox
Cheshire, UK
JBR is male  JBR has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

16-05-2020, 08:17 PM

I don't recall about Sheffield Council cutting down trees. I guess it's probably something to do with them avoiding legal actions against them should someone be injured by a tree that was not in good condition and personal injury occurred. There was a lot of that at one time all over the country.

Yes, that's the one.

I don't know about the Doncaster one.
Donkeyman
Chatterbox
Melton,United Kingdom
Donkeyman is male  Donkeyman has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

16-05-2020, 10:52 PM

Originally Posted by Solasch ->
Can you explain why the british propositions were sent to the EU negotiators under embargo (not to be shared with national governments), while the EU text was fully made public by the EU?
At that moment it was assumed the UK government didn't want to get their proposals get back to british industry and fisheries.

So if frost wants to publish the british texts, what is to prevent the EU to do that for him?
The reason uk is going to publish the british proposals Solly, is
because the commission would not sharethem with the member
states for reasons of their own? So meneer Frost thought it
would be a good idea if the member states new what was being
on offered by uk, thus bypassing the politically motivated
commissioners!
Great idea l think? If Frosty had been on our team earlier it would
have been done and dusted long ago!!

Donkeyman! 🤔🤔
Donkeyman
Chatterbox
Melton,United Kingdom
Donkeyman is male  Donkeyman has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

16-05-2020, 11:00 PM

Yes, I'd go with all of that.
You guys forgot, cancel HS2 and 3rd runway at heathrow??
The rest of it is ok!

Donkeyman! 👍👍👍👍
JBR
Chatterbox
Cheshire, UK

16-05-2020, 11:05 PM

Originally Posted by Donkeyman ->
You guys forgot, cancel HS2 and 3rd runway at heathrow??
The rest of it is ok!
Yes and no.

Yes, cancel HS2 - nobody wants it.
No, lets have a third runway at Heathrow. Schiphol has SIX!
Donkeyman
Chatterbox
Melton,United Kingdom

16-05-2020, 11:10 PM

Whilst

Plus I found another case where a barrister, who acted against Sheffield Council, also found another council were committing a criminal offence as they didn't have a Forestry Licence to fell trees:

https://www.doncasterfreepress.co.uk...ffence-1379438
Whilst l would like to see more trees everywhere, unfortunately
trees and asphalt and paving are not a good mix if you keep road
repairs to a minimum!!

Donkeyman! 🤔🤔
Donkeyman
Chatterbox
Melton,United Kingdom

16-05-2020, 11:16 PM

Yes and no.

Yes, cancel HS2 - nobody wants it.
No, lets have a third runway at Heathrow. Schiphol has SIX!
Does that make it better??
And what do the citizens of whatever city schipol is in have to say
about it??
Sorry my alzhiemers is showing!

Donkeyman! 🤔🤔
JBR
Chatterbox
Cheshire, UK

16-05-2020, 11:21 PM

Originally Posted by Donkeyman ->
Whilst l would like to see more trees everywhere, unfortunately
trees and asphalt and paving are not a good mix if you keep road
repairs to a minimum!!
Not if planted correctly. Asphalt and paving should be set around each tree and at a suitable distance from the trunk to accommodate future growth.

Page 2 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top