Join for free
Page 3 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >
LongDriver
West Sussex (coastal)
LongDriver is male  LongDriver has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

20-05-2020, 03:41 PM

Re: Flour mites

Originally Posted by Artangel ->
Cinderella, You know when you read something and wish you hadn’t?
I felt unwell after reading this the other day!
Hmmm .. in that case did you know that you are covered in tiny arachnids known as Dermodex? They burrow away in all of your hair follicles all over your body, even the pubes but most prolific in scalp and face … nice eh?!

PS - to date, there are at least 65 known types of Dermodex
JBR
Chatterbox
Cheshire, UK
JBR is male  JBR has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

20-05-2020, 04:35 PM

Originally Posted by LongDriver ->
Hmmm .. in that case did you know that you are covered in tiny arachnids known as Dermodex? They burrow away in all of your hair follicles all over your body, even the pubes but most prolific in scalp and face … nice eh?!

I like to think that I'm doing something to support harmless little animalcules.
My reward will be in heaven.
Cinderella
Chatterbox
East Anglia, UK
Cinderella is female  Cinderella has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

20-05-2020, 08:11 PM

Originally Posted by LongDriver ->

Now we all feel Moby Dick. If anything has survived blitz cleaning of the kitchen then they are uneradicable.
VictoriaG
Andalucia, Spain
VictoriaG is female 

04-07-2020, 06:03 AM

Hi everyone I was reading your posts on flour mites. Whatever flour I buy I always keep in the freezer ever since I discovered the blighters in a packet once. I use it straight into my cooking.
summer
Chatterbox
yorkshire
summer is female  summer has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-07-2020, 06:52 AM

Great idea Victoria...I've never heard of going that before
Meg
Supervisor
Worcestershire
Meg is female  Meg has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-07-2020, 09:05 AM

Back in the 70's I had a temporary job in a council cook freeze facility preparing meals for schools. The prepared meals were blast frozen and reheated in fan ovens and were actually very good.

The flour came in big sacks and often contained 'weevils' things like flour moth larvae so all the flour was put through a fine sieve before use. Flour moths are a big problem in bakeries, most of the public are not aware of them.

I keep my flour in sealed containers.
A couple of years ago a opened a new bag of the organic wholemeal flour to make bread and a moth flew out
I caught it and sent it to the supplier who sent me 6 new bags of assorted organic flour.
Barry
Chatterbox
North Notts
Barry is male  Barry has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-07-2020, 09:08 AM

We keep it in the freezer too, and it's perfect then for making pastry particularly in the summer.
JBR
Chatterbox
Cheshire, UK
JBR is male  JBR has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-07-2020, 11:02 AM

Originally Posted by VictoriaG ->
Hi everyone I was reading your posts on flour mites. Whatever flour I buy I always keep in the freezer ever since I discovered the blighters in a packet once. I use it straight into my cooking.
Good idea. You'll never notice the eggs when you're eating it and, after all, they're a good source of protein.
Mags
Supervisor
South West UK
Mags is female  Mags has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-07-2020, 07:27 PM

Originally Posted by VictoriaG ->
That's a good idea Victoria, I think I'll start doing that too...
bakerman
Mexico
bakerman is male  bakerman has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-07-2020, 07:37 PM

I have been cooking and baking my entire life, and I never heard of such a thing. Mites in the flour ? Hmm ? Strange. where does the flour in the U.K. come from ?

Page 3 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top