Join for free
Tedc
Berkshire, UK
Tedc is male  Tedc has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-06-2020, 01:31 PM

Alexa versus the BBC!

Some time ago, my ability to sync my Amazon Alexa Devices around various rooms, in the house, disappeared.

I tried to fix this, a few times, but gave up when I heard that relationships between Amazon & the BBC had changed and that the sync service was gone!

I couldn't be bothered and gave up!

Maybe others had this problem & fixed it?

Anyway, the DT, today, tells us that a new package, called "Beeb", is now entering the world and is currently available on the Windows Insider Programme service.

Beeb, is their (BBC) version of Alexa, apparently.

Have tried to see this in the Insider pages but cannot get there yet.

Anyway, it probably explains why syncing all went wobbly back when!

By the way, Beeb will use a Bloke's voice - with a Northern Accent, says the DT.

Judd
Chatterbox
West Riding of Yorkshire
Judd is male  Judd has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-06-2020, 03:19 PM

Re: Alexa versus the BBC!

I used to listen to the Beeb on my Echo Dots but since the Beeb became selfish and disabled the option, I now listen to LBC (London). A lot more informative and less left-wing bias. If the adverts get on your ****, you can pause the shows and pick them up again when the adverts are over.

I've kicked TV into touch now as it's generally crap so stream stuff from Amazon and use the catch-up services as no licence required.
Tedc
Berkshire, UK
Tedc is male  Tedc has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-06-2020, 05:05 PM

Re: Alexa versus the BBC!

This by email, just now:-

"Hi Insider,

You’re invited to meet Beeb, the new voice assistant App on Windows from the BBC. Beeb is being built as a collaboration between the BBC and Microsoft and you have the chance to put a beta version through its paces and give important feedback to help shape the final product.
What can the Beeb BETA1 do? You’ll be able to speak to it to get:
• Live and on demand radio – ‘OK Beeb, play Radio 2’
• Music mixes – ‘OK Beeb, play Best New Pop’
• Podcasts – ‘OK Beeb, play That Peter Crouch Podcast’
• News and local weather updates – ‘OK Beeb, update me’
• Jokes – ‘OK Beeb, tell me a joke’
• Quirky facts – ‘OK Beeb, tell me a fact’

The BBC team would like to get your feedback on these current features by email. We’re also working on a number of new features, that we’ll be rolling out when we can.
To get the Beeb BETA, just make sure that you’re on the latest Windows 10 Insider Preview Build2. Here’s how:
✔ Is your PC enrolled? Go to Start > Settings > Update & Security > Windows Insider Program to check your status and if necessary, enroll.3,4
✔ Is your PC updated? Go to Start > Settings > Update & Security > Windows Update and click Check for updates.

All set? Now you’ll just need to download the Beeb BETA app from the Microsoft Store and sign in with a BBC account:"

Seems very familiar ?

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top