Join for free
merz
Chatterbox
Lancashire, UK
merz is female  merz has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-11-2009, 10:41 PM

Festival of Rememberance

Anyone else watching this - I always watch this every year with a box of tissues at my side-I always cry. Have noticed every year the number of
Chelsea Pensioners dwindling-bless them. Although we don't need reminding of the war thats going on at the moment-see it every day on TV-IMO its good to remember ALL that have died in service for their country and their families also.
buzzie
USA
buzzie is female  buzzie has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-11-2009, 02:40 AM

Re: Festival of Rememberance

Yes, we have a Veterans Day that must be much like this. Hope none of us ever forget what so many have done for us.
dandysmom
Fondly Remembered
Washington, DC USA
dandysmom is female  dandysmom has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-11-2009, 03:29 AM

Well put, merz. Freedom has been bought at a great price, hasn't it? We must never forget.
nero
Central Scotland
nero is male  nero has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-11-2009, 10:38 AM

I won't be watching the service but at the eleventh hour I stop and think and give thanks to all who've made the supreme sacrifice to keep us free.
Mags
Supervisor
South West UK
Mags is female  Mags has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-11-2009, 12:32 PM

Yes I watched it too, never miss it and I always find it very moving.

No Harry Patch this year....as you say Merz, the Chelsea Pensioners dwindling
Brandykins
Fondly Remembered
near Glasgow Scotland
Brandykins is female  Brandykins has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-11-2009, 12:49 PM

Yes, I always watch it. I had a relative (never knew him) who was killed during WWII, he was a Royal Marine. I always have a cry at it. So sad as well to think of all the soldiers still being killed in the world - yet the First World War was supposed to be the war to end all wars!

Watched a program the other night about the trenches of the First WW - horrendous they were. My Mum had a friend that we used to visit when I was a wee girl and her husband had been killed in the 1st WW, his photo was above the foot of her bed and she would talk to him before going to sleep. I fell in love with that picture - he was such a handsome laddie. He was only 19 and they got married the day he was shipped out and she never saw him again. She never remarried!

It was sad to see the dwindling numbers of those great Chelsea Pensioners.

RIP to all those who perished during the world conflicts.

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top