Join for free
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Chr1st1an
East Anglia
Chr1st1an is male  Chr1st1an has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-11-2009, 08:45 AM

Rememberance Sunday

-my memory of this was saying bye to dad as he was picked up on the coach and attended the ceremony - as one of the standard bearers
nero
Central Scotland
nero is male  nero has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-11-2009, 10:33 AM

Re: Rememberance Sunday

Yes, . . lest we forget, . . . we shall remember them.
dinahsmum
SW England
dinahsmum is female  dinahsmum has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-11-2009, 10:49 AM

Good morning. Yes it is a sombe one isn't it, and the weather has caught the mood ... sort of dark and glowering.
I'm off to shower, do my hair and dress and have a session on the Wii, so that I will be done and dusted and able to be quiet at 11am
Speak again after that
nero
Central Scotland
nero is male  nero has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-11-2009, 11:04 AM

Must dash now and get the dogs walked, . . it's a glorious sunny day here however we've had a hard frost overnight, . . good job I brought the toms in last night, I've got them hanging from the kitchen ceiling, complete with vine stems.
Mags
Supervisor
South West UK
Mags is female  Mags has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-11-2009, 12:17 PM

I watched the Remembrance Service on TV last night, very moving and makes me feel so proud of all our servicemen.

I lost an uncle in WW2, I didn't know him but my Dad always talked about him and how he was taken so young. His grave is in Alexandria.

Remembering all the brave servicemen everywhere.

nero
Central Scotland

08-11-2009, 12:31 PM

Just watched the service and I give credit to the BBC for their coverage.

The pipe music playing Floors O' The Forest when the names of lads killed recently was scrolling up was very moving, . . looking at the ages of some of those lads, some as young as 18, the pipe tune was most appropriate, . . the lads were flowers, . . cut down before their time.
dinahsmum
SW England
dinahsmum is female  dinahsmum has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-11-2009, 01:24 PM

Nero - have you ever visited any of the war graves?
We went to the one outside Caen, so holding those lost on the Normandy beaches. I haven't anyone there, or lost anyone close at all, but I finished that visit red eyed with tears streaming down my face. Rows and rows and rows of simple white crosses, and the names and ages - 19, 20, 21 - rare to find any over 30 - and some without names 'known only unto god'. I think my own son was 19 when we were there, so no doubt that played a part in my emotion.
My dad was one of 5 brothers (the youngest) who went off and all came back. One was a prisoner of the germans for a while and felt the effects of that for the remainder of his long life (he'd often find himself, having risen from the dinner table, with a crust of bread or wedge of cheese in his pocket!)
My m-i-l lost 2 brothers, who were fishermen, not even fighters
nero
Central Scotland

08-11-2009, 01:27 PM

Never been to France DM, my dad was doing his bit just after the landings in the 51st highland div, . . they were attached to the Canadians and he told me those lads took no prisoners after what happened at Dieppe.
nero
Central Scotland

08-11-2009, 01:32 PM

I've been meaning to do this for years so as it's bright sunshine I'm off to take photos of our war memorial, it faces directly south so should be bathed in sunshine.
dinahsmum
SW England

08-11-2009, 01:32 PM

We visited Arras, in northern France once (just a visit, not graves or anything) and all the cafes there had maple leaves bunting and union flags notices saying welcome to our British and Canadian friends - any ex-servicemen please make yourselves known to receive a free drink with our gratitude

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top