Join for free
Robert Junior
Chatterbox
UK
Robert Junior is male  Robert Junior has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-07-2013, 02:03 PM

Warts & all.

Warts & all that.

My mother was very particular about certain things. Take boiled eggs for instance. The obvious danger of being burnt by the boiling water didn’t figure in her angst. No, her fear was of somehow touching water that eggs had been boiled in .
“You’ll get WARTS!”
One day I challenged her to tell me how she came by this information.
“My mum told me!”
Challenging her to reveal who told her this fact…………
“HER mother of course” came the stinging rebuke, no argument then.

Years later I looked it up on the internet. It was all true!
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey
Julie1962 is female  Julie1962 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-07-2013, 02:47 PM

Re: Warts & all.

My gran used to say that too. Can't say I ever touch it myself must be so ingrained in my psyche I just do it all automatically without even thinking about why LOL.
Jem
Chatterbox
Dublin
Jem is male  Jem has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-07-2013, 03:05 PM

My Granny always said it too. She used to say it was the height of bad luck for a woman to whistle in the house, that used to puzzle me as I've never heard a woman whistle in a house, come to think of it I've never heard a woman whistle anywhere, except Barbara Woodhouse on TV, can't imagine a woman whistling walking down the street either, is whistling just a male thing?
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey
Julie1962 is female  Julie1962 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-07-2013, 03:21 PM

Nan used to say woman whistling were whistling up the devil, can't seem to do it myself so never tried that one LOL
Patsy
Chatterbox
UK
Patsy is female  Patsy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-07-2013, 03:34 PM

Cant whistle - but if I could - I would !
ben-varrey
Chatterbox
UK
ben-varrey is female  ben-varrey has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-07-2013, 05:41 PM

Originally Posted by Jem ->
My Granny always said it too. She used to say it was the height of bad luck for a woman to whistle in the house, that used to puzzle me as I've never heard a woman whistle in a house, come to think of it I've never heard a woman whistle anywhere, except Barbara Woodhouse on TV, can't imagine a woman whistling walking down the street either, is whistling just a male thing?
My Nan used to say 'A whistling woman or a crowing hen, are no use to beast nor men'.
ben-varrey
Chatterbox
UK
ben-varrey is female  ben-varrey has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-07-2013, 05:42 PM

Originally Posted by Robert Junior ->
Warts & all that.

My mother was very particular about certain things. Take boiled eggs for instance. The obvious danger of being burnt by the boiling water didn’t figure in her angst. No, her fear was of somehow touching water that eggs had been boiled in .
“You’ll get WARTS!”
One day I challenged her to tell me how she came by this information.
“My mum told me!”
Challenging her to reveal who told her this fact…………
“HER mother of course” came the stinging rebuke, no argument then.

Years later I looked it up on the internet. It was all true!
I used to get told that from my mum too and if I got egg white (the yolk apparently is fine) on my hands, she would make me wash my hands straight away. Even now I can't let egg white dry on my hands
Robert Junior
Chatterbox
UK
Robert Junior is male  Robert Junior has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-07-2013, 09:52 PM

Philip LARKIN was quite right.
TessA
Official Poinker
UK
TessA is female  TessA has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-07-2013, 10:10 PM

I was always told that if you put the skin from inside the shell on a wart it would get rid of it, or rub a coin on it & throw it in a still pond! Yes, I know, but that's Somerset for you!
Robert Junior
Chatterbox
UK

07-07-2013, 10:21 PM

Not in Hampshire luvvy.

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top