Join for free
Jazzi
Chatterbox
Lowestoft
Jazzi is female  Jazzi has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

26-10-2019, 11:54 AM

Council tax

...am I due a refund, I wonder?

Got the final bill this morning, and it is showing an amount with a - sign beside it. Payments made were more than that due, but it doesn't say anywhere on the form about a refund being made to me. I have therefore emailed them, for Monday, asking to confirm this, and if I can cancel the DD, which is due on the 1st.

Anyone else had this from their council and can confirm?

Thanks.
Dodge
Kent, UK
Dodge is male  Dodge has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

26-10-2019, 05:06 PM

Re: Council tax

You will not get a refund but a reduction on how much you pay for next years council tax. It has happened to me twice. I do not have a direct debit paying council tax, i pay it via bank transfer every month because it is something i want to be in control of. That said i have over payed many times and as a result, when my next council statement comes before the start of April, it has shown a minus sign - on the money i paid extra each month. Last year i paid £33 in over payments and all the council did was minus this from the following years payment, meaning my monthly repayments were reduced.
Jazzi
Chatterbox
Lowestoft
Jazzi is female  Jazzi has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

26-10-2019, 07:41 PM

Originally Posted by Dodge ->
You will not get a refund but a reduction on how much you pay for next years council tax. It has happened to me twice. I do not have a direct debit paying council tax, i pay it via bank transfer every month because it is something i want to be in control of. That said i have over payed many times and as a result, when my next council statement comes before the start of April, it has shown a minus sign - on the money i paid extra each month. Last year i paid £33 in over payments and all the council did was minus this from the following years payment, meaning my monthly repayments were reduced.
I did say ‘final bill’! Don’t forget I’ve moved.
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

26-10-2019, 08:35 PM

Originally Posted by Jazzi ->
I did say ‘final bill’! Don’t forget I’ve moved.

Don't forget to tell your bank to stop the D/D, Jazzi.
Dodge
Kent, UK
Dodge is male  Dodge has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

26-10-2019, 08:36 PM

I moved from Shropshire to Kent in 2011. Council tax over-payment money owed to me by Shropshire county council was taken off my council tax bill by Kent county council. When i moved i had to go to the local council office to disclose that i was now a resident in their county and had to sign up for the council tax. I told them i was owed outstanding money from Shropshire council, the lady said not to worry as the computer systems are all interconnected and it will make the necessary adjustment. My first council tax bill showed the council tax over-payment from Shropshire council had been added to my Kent council tax bill, it showed as a minus on my bill.

Now this was back in 2011 and things consistently change with councils. As for you moving, i do not read all your posts and thus did not know you moved. If you've moved out of the country then ignore my posts.
Jazzi
Chatterbox
Lowestoft

26-10-2019, 09:57 PM

Originally Posted by Mups ->
Don't forget to tell your bank to stop the D/D, Jazzi.
I did ask this in the email.

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top