Join for free
Page 11 of 16 « First < 9 10 11 12 13 > Last »
spitfire
Chatterbox
Warwickshire
spitfire is male  spitfire has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

01-08-2020, 10:00 PM

Re: smart metres

Watched the resid situation for a while. sit tight, especially if on zero APR.
longfellow
Chatterbox
Penthouse in Essex overlooking the Thames.
longfellow is male  longfellow has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

01-08-2020, 11:35 PM

Originally Posted by Baz46 ->
I have no objection to change in order to make improvements. Where would we all be without change in communications, like the internet, for instance?

However, I dislike change for change's sake or when it's to line somebody else's pocket or bank balance at my expense. Even worse I find is when change is promoted for spurious reasons, most of them to rip-off consumers. Those who do this continue to make out it's for the benefit of consumers when it's obvious that it's not! Much of the general public is not quite as stupid as they make out or like to believe!
Baz I have had a meter for nigh on 2 years now. It as not cost me a penny infact it as allowed me more freedom.
It sends a message to my supplier telling them how much power I have used so I do not have to sit indoors waiting on a guy to read my meter.Other good points I have already pointed out in a earlier post.
I have not moaned or complained about it but what I did grumble about was water meters in that earlier post. I just find it so hard to believe that the big flash homes of the well off are meter free whilst we are told that we require a meter.
And as for charging up a new electric car.
In my case I am not that daft to go out and buy one in my middle 60's paying something like £28000
spitfire
Chatterbox
Warwickshire
spitfire is male  spitfire has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

02-08-2020, 07:51 AM

"In my case I am not that daft to go out and buy one in my middle 60's paying something like £28000"

If in the 60's age range, we are lucky. we may live long enough not to have a choice in an electric vehicle, AND to wring the last few droplets of revenue out of our failing carcasses, there may be a "Special" tariff for charging Mobility Scooters.
TessA
Official Poinker
UK
TessA is female  TessA has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

02-08-2020, 10:04 AM

What about the electric car battery? Will it be recyclable? Will we be seeing them fly-tipped because they're not? Are they eco-friendly? Do they need precious minerals etc. to make them? Will there be more mining and extraction? Will that mean cutting down forests?
Baz46
Somewhere rural 'out in the sticks', UK
Baz46 is male  Baz46 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

02-08-2020, 10:21 AM

Originally Posted by TessA ->
What about the electric car battery? Will it be recyclable? Will we be seeing them fly-tipped because they're not? Are they eco-friendly? Do they need precious minerals etc. to make them? Will there be more mining and extraction? Will that mean cutting down forests?
I was under the impression that these types of batteries were not long-lasting and cost a small fortune when a new one was needed. For that reason they could be leased, so I believed. However, from the information on the link below this does not seem to be necessarily so. Personally I would have to do plenty of research on this aspect of electric car ownership before being fully convinced.

There appears to be all the information needed about these batteries on this link:

https://www.edfenergy.com/electric-cars/batteries
JBR
Chatterbox
Cheshire, UK
JBR is male  JBR has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

02-08-2020, 11:48 AM

Originally Posted by TessA ->
Yes, I'm sure you're right.
And there they are: all the eco-warriors buying electric cars, thinking they're saving the planet!
Ciderman
Masterton, New Zealand
Ciderman is male  Ciderman has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

02-08-2020, 11:08 PM

I suggest you go the link posted by Baz.
Bratti
Chatterbox
Canada
Bratti is female  Bratti has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-08-2020, 05:56 AM

Three years ago. We had too. We put a covering over ours though fit extra protection.
Besoeker
Chatterbox
Doncaster, UK
Besoeker is male  Besoeker has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-08-2020, 09:34 AM

Originally Posted by Baz46 ->
I was under the impression that these types of batteries were not long-lasting and cost a small fortune when a new one was needed. For that reason they could be leased, so I believed. However, from the information on the link below this does not seem to be necessarily so. Personally I would have to do plenty of research on this aspect of electric car ownership before being fully convinced.

There appears to be all the information needed about these batteries on this link:

https://www.edfenergy.com/electric-cars/batteries
Typically, battery life time is about eight years. There is also the duration for many batteries. For a short/longer, trip this may be adequate. But it would quite often require recharging.

Just life, I suppose. In my case, many of my trips were typically 600 to 800 miles.
JBR
Chatterbox
Cheshire, UK
JBR is male  JBR has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-08-2020, 12:40 PM

Originally Posted by Bratti ->
Three years ago. We had too. We put a covering over ours though fit extra protection.
If you meant your smart meter, you should fit a metal case all around it.
That would cause them some confusion when they try to connect to it!

Page 11 of 16 « First < 9 10 11 12 13 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top