Join for free
Jem
Chatterbox
Dublin
Jem is male  Jem has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

16-09-2018, 05:21 PM

Re: Leisurely Scribbles (part 5)

Originally Posted by gumbud ->
wot through my classified window ?? - I must update to windows 10 cos I don't think you can count that far heh!?
You should grow a six foot hedge like me, great for keeping snooping eyes at bay, why one could walk about nude in my garden and never be seen by prying eyes, weather permitting of course.

Good for you Gummy, nothing like getting about for broadening the mind, although you’d never get me into a plane, especially a 7 seater one, probably only had one engine and if one lousy screw came loose and rolled off you are a gonner. Pessimistic old git ain’t I.

I have a true story about a Laundry man who used to call around our area in the late 50’s, I’ll stick it on later tonight, I’m off now for a pint and to see a man about a ring he want’s made for his wife, it’s their anniversary next month, i tried hard to get out of this saying me old eyes are not too good and I'm retired but his missus and Phyllis are great mates and I'm cornered.
Robert Junior
Chatterbox
UK
Robert Junior is male  Robert Junior has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

16-09-2018, 05:50 PM

James Spader lighting up................
Gummy, I am a fan of DADA,
Barry Humphries was one of it's leading exponents
spitfire
Chatterbox
Warwickshire
spitfire is male  spitfire has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

16-09-2018, 06:16 PM

Sweetie has the Candy Bar, well, as I travelled through Leamington Spa today, I noticed another fellows Hostelry.

Sweetie pie
Chatterbox
Dorset
Sweetie pie is female  Sweetie pie has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

16-09-2018, 07:26 PM

I missed Young Robert.
I forgot what I had to post
Sweetie pie
Chatterbox
Dorset
Sweetie pie is female  Sweetie pie has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

16-09-2018, 08:42 PM

Pug
Chatterbox
East Anglia,UK
Pug is male  Pug has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

16-09-2018, 08:46 PM

Originally Posted by gumbud ->
this is a skill that only a few have on here and you and Pugs are unique in the fact that you prefer to post black screens

HA! Eat yer words,ya gummy gonk!
Jem
Chatterbox
Dublin
Jem is male  Jem has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

16-09-2018, 09:25 PM

A mere pub Spitty!
Take a gander at MY Hotel in Singapore, all are welcome, it has four bars each named after the four provinces in Ireland, the Ulster, Munster, Leinster, and the Connaught.

spitfire
Chatterbox
Warwickshire
spitfire is male  spitfire has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

16-09-2018, 09:29 PM

Once Jem, a Pub was everything, it ain't now.
Jem
Chatterbox
Dublin

16-09-2018, 09:29 PM

Oh! Judy Brannigan, you are me darlin’,
You are me lookin’ glass from night till mornin’,
I’d rather have you without one farthin’,
Than Susan Gallagher with her house and garden.

(From “Children of the Dead End” by Patrick MacGill)

“If unskilled Irish migratory workers in twentieth-century Britain may be said to have anything so lofty as a literary laureate, then Patrick MacGill (1890–1963) has first claim to the title. Born to a desperately poor Donegal family, MacGill was hired out as a farm labourer while still a child and by the age of 15 was ‘tatie-hoking’ (digging potatoes) in Scotland. He subsequently worked as a navvy, railway platelayer and labourer on the construction of an aluminium smelter at Kinlochleven reservoir, until the favourable reception of his first volume of verse, Gleanings from a Navvy’s Scrapbook (1910), led to a job with the London Daily Express. MacGill’s journalistic career proved short-lived, however, and by the time Children of the Dead End appeared in March 1914 he was working as a librarian in Windsor Castle, under the supportive tutelage of Canon John Dalton. The book became an instant bestseller, though its critical and commercial success in England contrasted starkly with its hostile reception in culturally conservative Irish quarters, including MacGill’s home town of Glenties.1 Within months, he was serving with the London Irish Rifles in France, an experience he immediately drew upon in verse and fiction, notably in his war trilogy The Amateur Army (1915), The Red Horizon (1916) and The Great Push (1916). Although he continued to write prolifically, MacGill’s popularity waned significantly in the post-war years. By the 1930s he had developed multiple sclerosis and was living in Florida with his wife and fellow author, Margaret Gibbons. His death in November 1963, within hours of the assassination of President John F. Kennedy, went unnoticed. Since 1981 Glenties has hosted an annual summer school named in his honour”
spitfire
Chatterbox
Warwickshire

16-09-2018, 09:33 PM

The concept of, none graft, a strange reality, apparently.

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top