Join for free
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
OldGreyFox
Chatterbox
South Yorkshire
OldGreyFox is male  OldGreyFox has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-06-2021, 10:00 PM

Roberts Rambles 13

I had chosen seven locations for Friday’s trig point search, but with an almost two hour drive to the first one, and a two hour drive home I didn’t expect to successfully visit all seven. I arrived at the first one not far from the top of Sutton Bank at around 11:30 am. A very popular tourist destination due to its proximity to the White Horse of Kilburn and its fantastic views of the Vale of York, and on a clear day you can see York Minster.
They had built a visitors centre since I was here last, with shops, toilets, and a very expensive car park, that’s if you can find a suitable place to park. It was heaving with tourists so I drove further on to see if I could park nearer to my first trig but I soon realised that when it said ‘Gallops’ on the map that the trig was situated in the centre of a racehorse training circuit, and there were around twenty horses going hell for leather round the track. So between the extortionate parking fees at the visitor centre, the hoards of people occupying every path in the area, and the fear of being trampled to death under the feet of the horses, I decided to give this one a miss...
My next choice was situated in the middle of an overgrown pasture and parking was just up the road in a quiet lay-by. The death defying walk along the busy road was a bit airy, but once I hopped over the gate leading to the field it became very quiet and peaceful and I realised that this is why I enjoy doing it.
After trampling through knee high grass and thistles I spotted the top of the trig about a hundred yards into the field. I welcomed it like an old friend I hadn’t seen for a while....

I spotted the second trig from the car as I drove past, it was at the top of a hill in a very large planted field next to a wood. A decent path led me up the hill by the side of the adjacent field and then I walked alongside the wood until I was level with the trig and carefully followed the lines of planting until I reached my treasure.

My third bag of the day was through the pretty village of Helmsley where I thought I might stop for lunch. No chance! Once again I find myself surrounded by tourists, and parked cars occupying every space imaginable. I drove through and out into the country where the gate to a field provided the perfect spot to leave the motor. I found the second trig nestling in a field of corn, I carefully followed the tyre tracks of the tractor and made my way into the field where the trig and me enjoyed a photo session.

The fourth encounter was hard to spot, I actually passed it as I walked alongside a nettle filled and rock strewn field edge. After I abandoned all hope and returned to the car I spotted it hiding in an overgrown Hawthorn hedge. After more nettle stung arms and legs from clearing away the foliage I felt chuffed to have finally found this one. The only problem was, where to put the camera for a good shot of us together.

With the promised rain spotting on the windscreen and time getting on, I made my way to the final trig of the day. It should be easy to spot being at the side of a well trodden path. After finding an excellent off road parking spot intersecting the walk, I grabbed my camera and made my way through a small copse of trees. Had it been sunny, this would have been the best find of the day. Miles from anywhere and so secluded and peaceful I soon arrived at a break in the trees and hedges and spotted it just to the left of the path.
Not a concrete one like the others but made of stone beside a seat also made of stone.

That makes number seventeen in my trig point collection.

Attached Thumbnails (Click to enlarge)
Click image for larger version

Name:	0038 Tom Smiths.jpg
Views:	485
Size:	57.7 KB
ID:	16007   Click image for larger version

Name:	0044 Rievaulx.jpg
Views:	469
Size:	60.6 KB
ID:	16008   Click image for larger version

Name:	0056 Stiltons.jpg
Views:	461
Size:	79.5 KB
ID:	16009   Click image for larger version

Name:	0060 Pockley.jpg
Views:	583
Size:	99.0 KB
ID:	16010   Click image for larger version

Name:	0063 Caulkleys Bank.jpg
Views:	467
Size:	45.1 KB
ID:	16012  

spitfire
Chatterbox
Warwickshire
spitfire is male  spitfire has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-06-2021, 10:44 PM

Re: Roberts Rambles 13

Good stuff Foxy, will be out there soon in this area.
Mags
Supervisor
South West UK
Mags is female  Mags has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-06-2021, 11:13 PM

Brilliant ‘collection’ Bob 👏

Keep it going 👍
Fruitcake
Somerset Riviera
Fruitcake is male  Fruitcake has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

20-06-2021, 02:28 AM

Good effort m'lad.

Keep 'em coming.

At an average of seven a day you have, what, another thousand days to complete your quest. I'll be seventy by then. Oh what a birthday present I will have from you when you finish.
mart
Chatterbox
South of England
mart is male  mart has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

20-06-2021, 09:05 AM

A good ramble and project.

Have you thought about swapping a few of the Trigs around, just out of devilment to cause confusion?
Fruitcake
Somerset Riviera
Fruitcake is male  Fruitcake has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

20-06-2021, 09:22 AM

I've just had an idea. Have you thought about leap-frogging each trig point?
Pixie Knuckles
Chatterbox
Scotland, UK
Pixie Knuckles is female  Pixie Knuckles has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

20-06-2021, 04:37 PM

What a lovely series! Loving the countryside. I do think you ought to pack a wee picnic for yourself though, save all the touristy hassle. Oh, and a scythe? Secateurs even, y'know for the pesky nettles!
OldGreyFox
Chatterbox
South Yorkshire
OldGreyFox is male  OldGreyFox has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-06-2021, 11:13 AM

Originally Posted by spitfire ->
Good stuff Foxy, will be out there soon in this area.
Thanks Spitty, try to avoid the popular areas though, they are a nightmare and expensive. I suppose all the people who would have taken foreign holidays are staying at home now...
OldGreyFox
Chatterbox
South Yorkshire

21-06-2021, 11:18 AM

Originally Posted by Mags ->
Brilliant ‘collection’ Bob 👏

Keep it going 👍
Thanks Mags, I have visited some very nice out of the way places while searching, and the views are spectacular. All the trig points were connected by line of sight in the old days, so you generally have a very attractive vista of the surrounding countryside....
OldGreyFox
Chatterbox
South Yorkshire

21-06-2021, 11:53 AM

Originally Posted by Fruitcake ->
Good effort m'lad.

Keep 'em coming.

At an average of seven a day you have, what, another thousand days to complete your quest. I'll be seventy by then. Oh what a birthday present I will have from you when you finish.
Thanks Fruitcake, but seven a day would be a bit hectic......
Even seven per week would be pushing it, and there will be weeks where I won't be doing any at all.....I don't think the challenge is necessarily to collect all the trig points, it's more about the journey than the destination....

Originally Posted by Fruitcake ->
I've just had an idea. Have you thought about leap-frogging each trig point?
If you could come and demonstrate the leaping of a trig point Fruity, I'll give it a go....

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top