Join for free
Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >
Pixie Knuckles
Chatterbox
Scotland, UK
Pixie Knuckles is female  Pixie Knuckles has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-07-2021, 07:47 PM

Re: Rope bowls - my latest hobby!

Originally Posted by Morticia ->
You've got me wondering, with mentioning keeping them clean.

I wonder if you could spray some kind of matt sealant on them. Not varnish.
You probably could...I used to make paper beads and seal them with a matt finish. Can't for the life of me recall the name just now, (10+ years ago) but I remember I had to be really careful due to skin contact and the possibility of them being chewed by babies. But coasters and placemats should be fine. Unless you have demon babies
Silver Tabby
Chatterbox
God's own county!
Silver Tabby is female  Silver Tabby has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-07-2021, 08:39 PM

Those are really lovely, Bathsheba, anyone would be happy to have one as gift. Do you buy the rope or do you make your own?
Bathsheba
Devon, UK
Bathsheba is female  Bathsheba has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-07-2021, 10:19 PM

Originally Posted by Silver Tabby ->
Those are really lovely, Bathsheba, anyone would be happy to have one as gift. Do you buy the rope or do you make your own?
Thanks Tabby. I buy clothesline/sash cord rope from Amazon, this one:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I started off with this 30m hank, but I've since bought a 100m of it, because it really gets used up quickly.
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-07-2021, 10:45 PM

They are so good, Sheba.
Love the pink one, so pretty.
Mags
Supervisor
South West UK
Mags is female  Mags has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-07-2021, 11:01 PM

They are beautiful Bathsheba, wonderful as presents.

Another talented lady in our midst!
Bathsheba
Devon, UK
Bathsheba is female  Bathsheba has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-07-2021, 08:34 AM

Originally Posted by Mups ->
They are so good, Sheba.
Love the pink one, so pretty.
Thanks Mups, yeah I rather like the fabric wrapped one, and will be doing more of them.

Originally Posted by Mags ->
They are beautiful Bathsheba, wonderful as presents.

Another talented lady in our midst!
Aw thanks Mags. Yes, we have several creative members on here - I think once we retire, we find that at last we have time to dabble in all those arty crafty things we'd only dreamt of doing. I've always sewn, knitted, crocheted, done cross stitch, card making etc, but now I can really get involved in new ideas, and I think that's probably true for a lot of us.
LongDriver
West Sussex (coastal)
LongDriver is male  LongDriver has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-07-2021, 08:41 AM

They look good and the idea is great, but, from an engineer's point of view, what if the rope used was a polypropylene or similar made from recycled bottles? That way the rope would be completely waterproof and could be water washed at any time and still keep it's shape.
Tiffany
Chatterbox
Devon
Tiffany is female  Tiffany has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-07-2021, 03:06 PM

Originally Posted by Bathsheba ->
Something I've wanted to try for a long time, but kept thinking it would be too tricky. Well I made my first one last Friday, and have done a few since, and guess what? It's really rather easy. So here are some of the ones I've made so far:

I just bought a rope one from a supermarket, it has an artificial plant in it, so no ruining it with watering etc. It's just a plain off white colour. Don't like imitation plants, but I have a planter given to me & it's a funny shape, the rope plant pot was easy to insert into the planter as I could push it around inside, a ridged plant pot wouldn't have worked. It'll live in the sun lounge.

Yours, Bathsheba, are so much nicer though.

Attached Thumbnails (Click to enlarge)
Click image for larger version

Name:	P1080163.jpg
Views:	282
Size:	51.7 KB
ID:	16213  
Longdogs
Chatterbox
SW England
Longdogs is male  Longdogs has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-07-2021, 03:22 PM

I'm impressed. well done.
Fruitcake
Somerset Riviera
Fruitcake is male  Fruitcake has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-07-2021, 08:23 PM

You are very talented. I really like the resurgence of old fashioned crafts.

Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top