Join for free
Page 7 of 10 « First < 5 6 7 8 9 > Last »
spitfire
Chatterbox
Warwickshire
spitfire is male  spitfire has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-12-2019, 09:47 AM

Re: Dispatches,Ch4 tonight ,Growing Up Poor

Poverty back then was not in technicolour.
big ben
United Kingdom
big ben is male  big ben has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-12-2019, 10:08 AM

Maybe I am getting hold of the 'wrong end of the stick' but please don,t tell me you think poverty back then did not matter.
How many people today do you hear of having starved to death?. people did then.
Azure
Chatterbox
South Glos
Azure is female  Azure has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-12-2019, 11:41 AM

Yes

I was replying to the posts.
The Artful Todger
Chatterbox
Suffolk UK
The Artful Todger is male  The Artful Todger has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-12-2019, 01:01 PM

Originally Posted by big ben ->
Maybe I am getting hold of the 'wrong end of the stick' but please don,t tell me you think poverty back then did not matter.
How many people today do you hear of having starved to death?. people did then.
Only the elderly.
Zuleika
North West UK
Zuleika is female  Zuleika has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-12-2019, 02:22 PM

Originally Posted by big ben ->
Please tell me What is the difference between poverty in the 1930s and poverty today?
Some seem to think that poverty today is far worse. but one must remember In the 1930s there were no such things a soup kitchens, Food banks or TV and newspaper reporters telling the world how bad off people were. In those days the poor and needy had to rely on the generosity of others to survive or steal or beg.
Today there are food banks and benefit handouts. Poverty today means one cannot afford a mobile phone, a packet of fags, a can of beer or playstations.
Poverty in those far off days meant REAL poverty
Do you really think there ought not to have been progress since the 1930's ?
As for people not dying these days have you not read how many homeless on the streets are dying and please don't tell me they're homeless because they like it on the streets or that it's their own fault.
Did people take their lives in the 1930's because of how the Government Welfare System penalised them them ?
No of course not because as you so rightly say there was no system then..
As for this constant harping on about people out of work having Mobile phones .
Did you know that you can only apply for a job now if you have one ? That you have to apply online ? None of the old being sent for jobs .
That you can only apply for Universal Credit online and you must have a mobile phone to receive updates.
No I guess there's a lot you don't know and it's no use argueing what used to be .
big ben
United Kingdom
big ben is male  big ben has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-12-2019, 02:48 PM

I am not arguing on 'what used to be' I am just pointing out that back then there was not the help available that there is today. So many think that poverty is a 21st century problem but it has been going on for many, many years.
Of course poverty should be dealt with as a top priority and should begin 'at home' and not thrown away as foreign aid.
Artangel
Chatterbox
UK
Artangel is female  Artangel has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-12-2019, 02:51 PM

Originally Posted by Zuleika ->
Do you really think there ought not to have been progress since the 1930's ?
As for people not dying these days have you not read how many homeless on the streets are dying and please don't tell me they're homeless because they like it on the streets or that it's their own fault.
Did people take their lives in the 1930's because of how the Government Welfare System penalised them them ?
No of course not because as you so rightly say there was no system then..
As for this constant harping on about people out of work having Mobile phones .
Did you know that you can only apply for a job now if you have one ? That you have to apply online ? None of the old being sent for jobs .
That you can only apply for Universal Credit online and you must have a mobile phone to receive updates.
No I guess there's a lot you don't know and it's no use argueing what used to be .
I am biting my tongue here...

Zuleika, You, like Lily Allen keep harping on about the situation, yet sit in your comfy homes typing away and preaching at us all.
Instead, why aren’t you and your family out on the streets helping the people? Why haven’t you or people like Lily Allen taken in a homeless person into your homes?

No, you’re too busy on here, taking the rest of us apart.
Realist
Chatterbox
UK
Realist is male  Realist has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-12-2019, 03:20 PM

Originally Posted by Artangel ->

Zuleika, You, like Lily Allen keep harping on about the situation, yet sit in your comfy homes typing away and preaching at us all.
Instead, why aren’t you and your family out on the streets helping the people? Why haven’t you or people like Lily Allen taken in a homeless person into your homes?

I suspect the reason is because the situation is far far more complicated than presented by media TV propaganda shows.

Bottom line is that people MUST live within their means.

It's a vital principle.

Start living beyond your means and you run into future difficulty which can spiral out of control.

Living within your means isn't just about assessing whether you can afford a house, car, TV or iPhone.

At it's most fundamental it also covers whether or not someone should actually have kids.

There is a known cost to having a child and it is huge. It covers the known costs from birth through to university.

What you have at the moment is people just gaily having kids without having the financial stability to ever be able to afford to look after them properly.

It's not that long ago when the dregs of this society were wilfully having as many kids as they could because every one added to the Benefits they could claim. In this respect having kids was just a monetary proposition and nothing to do with life, love and nurturing.

Our society is currently suffering from the aftermath of that situation. Lots of impoverished kids whose parents couldn't really afford to keep them now struggling. Poor education, poor social skills, finding it hard to get good jobs, many dropping into a life of crime and so on.

With these kind of TV programmes you NEVER get the full story, only the cherry picked sound bites and political rhetoric they want to show you.

There should be some kind of laws covering people having kids because it is totally irresponsible and wicked to have kids if you can't afford to look after them properly.

On a final point I notice you use the term "Homeless" people as crops up so many times in these kind of threads. People are not really "homeless", they have access to emergency, temporary and many other forms of accommodation. Street people are CHOOSING to live their lives on the street. They don't want to spend their available monies on rent and accommodation, they mostly want to spend it on drink and drugs. Who are we to tell them how to spend their money and live their lives? It is their choice no-one else's.

Accommodation is NOT the problem with the people incorrectly labelled as "homeless". The problem is far deeper and people would rather shield their eyes from it and appease their consciences with lame efforts like sending hats, gloves and scarves to charities at Christmas. This does nothing but perpetuate the situation.
Zuleika
North West UK
Zuleika is female  Zuleika has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-12-2019, 03:33 PM

Originally Posted by Artangel ->

No, you’re too busy on here, taking the rest of us apart.
Ouch Art ....I thought you said you were biting your tongue ?
Your entire post is assuming my situation ,my life , facts which you know nothing about save what I've told you in here .
Sadly what you don't recognise is it's people like yourself who are sitting in your comfortable homes typing away about trivial matters, after all you're one of the most prolific posters in here about those arn't you ?
I'm not one of those kind although I can see the lighthearted way of life takes you from dwelling on more serious issues you might prefer not to dwell on .
Zuleika
North West UK

08-12-2019, 03:42 PM

Originally Posted by Realist ->
I suspect the reason is because the situation is far far more complicated than presented by media TV propaganda shows.

Bottom line is that people MUST live within their means.

It's a vital principle.

Start living beyond your means and you run into future difficulty which can spiral out of control.

Living within your means isn't just about assessing whether you can afford a house, car, TV or iPhone.

At it's most fundamental it also covers whether or not someone should actually have kids.

There is a known cost to having a child and it is huge. It covers the known costs from birth through to university.

What you have at the moment is people just gaily having kids without having the financial stability to ever be able to afford to look after them properly.

It's not that long ago when the dregs of this society were wilfully having as many kids as they could because every one added to the Benefits they could claim. In this respect having kids was just a monetary proposition and nothing to do with life, love and nurturing.

Our society is currently suffering from the aftermath of that situation. Lots of impoverished kids whose parents couldn't really afford to keep them now struggling. Poor education, poor social skills, finding it hard to get good jobs, many dropping into a life of crime and so on.

With these kind of TV programmes you NEVER get the full story, only the cherry picked sound bites and political rhetoric they want to show you.

There should be some kind of laws covering people having kids because it is totally irresponsible and wicked to have kids if you can't afford to look after them properly.

On a final point I notice you use the term "Homeless" people as crops up so many times in these kind of threads. People are not really "homeless", they have access to emergency, temporary and many other forms of accommodation. Street people are CHOOSING to live their lives on the street. They don't want to spend their available monies on rent and accommodation, they mostly want to spend it on drink and drugs. Who are we to tell them how to spend their money and live their lives? It is their choice no-one else's.

Accommodation is NOT the problem with the people incorrectly labelled as "homeless". The problem is far deeper and people would rather shield their eyes from it and appease their consciences with lame efforts like sending hats, gloves and scarves to charities at Christmas. This does nothing but perpetuate the situation.
Realist I have highlighted in bold points I wholeheartedly agree with you on .

Thing is it's the children who are suffering .
How to stop people having children ? There's no answer to that in this present day is there?

Page 7 of 10 « First < 5 6 7 8 9 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top